Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Toughbook CF-C2 help speeding it up  (Read 3033 times)

Whitie III

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Experience: Expert
Toughbook CF-C2 help speeding it up
« on: September 10, 2015, 02:47:58 AM »
need suggestions on how to speed up my Toughbook CF-C2

it has a HDD which will need to be replaced with an SSD but other then that it has a first generation i5 with 4 GB of ram and Windows 8.1 Pro and runs slower then frozen honey

anybody know what else to do to speed it up? I was also going to max it out with 6 GB of ram as well but don't know if that would do any good for just basic internet and YouTube plus some emails

camerongray

Expert
    • Yes
    • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
Re: Toughbook CF-C2 help speeding it up
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2015, 03:44:59 AM »
That machine certainly shouldn't be slow, I'd put my money on it being the HDD so swap that out for an SSD first, then see what it's like. 

Upgrading the RAM will only make a big difference if you are using more than it has at the moment which I doubt you are based on your usage.  Try the SSD and see what difference it makes.

From what I can see the CF-C2 has a 4th generation Haswell chip, I can't find any reference to them ever having a first gen, therefore it certainly shouldn't be slow.

Whitie III

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2015, 04:24:12 AM »
I do have a 120 gb ssd.... Any good way to transfer or clone windows to the new drive?

Whitie III

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2015, 04:33:03 AM »

Whitie III

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2015, 04:35:37 AM »
That machine certainly shouldn't be slow, I'd put my money on it being the HDD so swap that out for an SSD first, then see what it's like. 

Upgrading the RAM will only make a big difference if you are using more than it has at the moment which I doubt you are based on your usage.  Try the SSD and see what difference it makes.

From what I can see the CF-C2 has a 4th generation Haswell chip, I can't find any reference to them ever having a first gen, therefore it certainly shouldn't be slow.

My bad..... It's actually a CF-C1

camerongray

Expert
    • Yes
    • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2015, 05:08:23 AM »
My bad..... It's actually a CF-C1
That makes more sense now, still should be reasonably quick though.

I do have a 120 gb ssd.... Any good way to transfer or clone windows to the new drive?
Personally I use a combination of Clonezilla and GParted - You would need to shrink the partition down to a smaller size than the SSD using GParted, clone it to the new disk and then use GParted again to expand the partition to fill the SSD.  Others may know of easier tools though.

However, if the machine is slow, you may want to take the new SSD as an opportunity to start fresh with a new Windows install.  This is what I would do.

Whitie III

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2015, 06:25:23 PM »
ok