Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: please help-unmountable_boot_volume question  (Read 2256 times)

dwx

please help-unmountable_boot_volume question
« on: November 15, 2005, 10:49:55 AM »
Would someone please help,

Recently we installed the light scribe HP hardware and software on one of the machines at work( Dell Dimension(winXP ) and for a week it was fine but yesterday started displaying  unmountable_boot_volume error. We tooke the HP Light scribe hardware out as recommended on the message and restarted the computer but winxp will not start at all, gives message sorry for the inconvenience-...start win. normally, load previous config...etc but nothing works.
Tried doing the boot with winxp cd and win.repair , then chkdsk, chkdsk/r and /p but none of it seem to work, they either get stuck at 0% and stay like that for hours or simply display that there is an error in the command.. I know there is a solution to install the hard drive on a different machine but I am kind of worried that the other one doesn't get screw up as well. The computer with the error message has a lot of data that is very important so can not be re-installed(winxp) at this time. Oh, also the computer makes funny ticking noise, like a clock. -i know it is weird but 4 people heard it as well ???

Does anyone have any solutions?

sorry for any errors in post, and if too long and messy  :-/

Thank you

pcwizard

Hopeful

• A computer is for life, not just gaming!!
    Re: please help-unmountable_boot_volume question
    « Reply #1 on: November 15, 2005, 11:14:45 AM »
    If windows repair, chkdsk & chkdsk /r /p don't work - add to that the ticking, I would say your hard drive has failed.

Attach the hard drive to another system and you might be able to access the data that way if it hasn't failed completely.
    A computer is for life....not just gaming!!

dwx

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2005, 11:48:01 AM »
    thank you,

pcwizard

Hopeful

• A computer is for life, not just gaming!!
      « Reply #3 on: November 15, 2005, 11:50:21 AM »
      The ticking usually means the reading arm is knocking against something.

Good luck.
      A computer is for life....not just gaming!!