Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Corrupted 10 Installation - How can i recover it?  (Read 10390 times)

richardf77

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Corrupted 10 Installation - How can i recover it?
    « on: September 27, 2015, 03:32:48 AM »
    A family member has recently upgraded their 4 year old ASUS Laptop to windows 10 after bacoming completely frustrated and fed up with how 7 was working. All was fine for a few days but hten a couple of days ago ten stopped loading and the machine went into a 'BootLoop'. Wouldnt boot windows and kept going into recovery mode. When i started looking into it and how to fix it i found none of the recovery options would work Startup repair, System restore, return to previous build all failed or couldnt do anything. Even non file destructive system reset would not work. Only thing left was 'File Destructive' Reset ie clean reinstall of windows. had to try this to get the PC back working. This operation went to 66% and then failed. After which no operating system could be found! It appeared Reset had partialy worked - deleted or partialy deleted windows, corrupting it beyond recorery.

I then decided to ditch 10 and go back to 7 - i have boot/install media for it, but when i loaded the DVD with 7 on it and tried to install 7, it looked like 10 was still there. I even put in a LIve CD copy of a Linux OS to boot from and lookat the hard drive and it looks like 10 is still there.

I want to recover 10 if possible. I have tried downloading ISO files to my own (7 Desktop) machine  to put onto DVD, but so far not been sucessfull. Media Creation Tool version is too big and the Tech Bench download is too time consuming and complicated for me.

In the end i cant really decide wht route to take, back to 7 (clean install) and stay with it, Reinstall 7 and then upgrade to 10 or recover/reinstall 10 directly.

Any help or advice appreciated. thanks.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Corrupted 10 Installation - How can i recover it?
    « Reply #1 on: September 27, 2015, 07:41:44 AM »
    Boot off a Linux Live CD or DVD or Thumb Drive and delete all partitions on the hard drive. Then create a linux partition for all of it and format, then remove the linux partition and then install 7 onto it and it should install then clean to system with no remaining partitions from linux or 10.

richardf77

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2015, 08:14:20 AM »
      Sounds a bit long-winded to use lixux? Couldnt i just do a clean install of 7 or 10? that would remove all the partitions and clean the drive wouldnt it?

richardf77

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2015, 02:59:51 AM »
        Planning to go back to 7 via a clean install - that looks like the only option open. I think going back to 7 and then upgrading to 10 again is the best plan. That way if 10 still causes problems i can easily revert to 7. Also if there are any hardware issues it might be easier to pick up on with the more tried and tested 7  than 10. I have a feeling at the back of my mind that there may be a hardware issue and thats what caused the problem in the first place.

The PChas 2 partitions, one OS, one data. If i reinstall windows to the OS partition as a clean install will it affect the data partition. I am hoping to preserve user data this way. I have backups but not up to date ones and i would rather not rely on them solely.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
        « Reply #4 on: September 28, 2015, 05:47:10 PM »
        If Win7 isn't working for you, Win10 won't either.  Something else is wrong.  I'm using Win10 Pro Insider Preview on a 7 year old desktop with no issues.  What are the hardware details of the 4 year old Asus laptop & what exactly wasn't working?

richardf77

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2015, 03:54:44 AM »
          If Win7 isn't working for you, Win10 won't either.  Something else is wrong.  I'm using Win10 Pro Insider Preview on a 7 year old desktop with no issues.  What are the hardware details of the 4 year old Asus laptop & what exactly wasn't working?

Well 7 did work, just not very well, slow to load, occasional crashes and/or freeze ups. No specific cause i could find just probably needed refreshing. Have been having power/battery problems (namely the battery wearing out and causing shutdowns). Otherwise no more than you would expect from an older computer. It was beileived 10 would if not fix the machine, then at least make it work better and extend its life.

Not sure what hardware specs would be relevant:

ASUS A53E
          64bit Windows
          Intel Core i5 2.3ghz
          8GB Ram
          500GB HDD

However, things have moved on. I have now done a clean install back to windows 7 - in effect taken it back to factory setup, using pre partitioned HDD to save user data. Install went fine, new (old) windows working well, One problem though (and i should probably go to a different sub forum with this) i cannot connect to the internet as the drivers for the network adapter are missing and without a working internet connection i cant seem to replace them. Any ideas?

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #6 on: September 29, 2015, 06:16:00 AM »
          The drivers will be at the Asus site...Support & Downloads.

Just enter your Model # and OS...
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

richardf77

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2015, 07:20:28 AM »
            Tried that and got nowhere. Had to use a driver update too to find and install what was needed. Internet now fine

Just having trouble with Windows Update now. Update check fails. Settings OK, no issues i can see with security software.

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            « Reply #8 on: September 29, 2015, 07:36:24 AM »
            Win Update support is Free...

Here Ya Go...

richardf77

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2015, 02:41:08 AM »
              Thanks

All sorted now, just need to get to get rhe PC configured and the main software loaded etc, but otherwise all looks good.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
              « Reply #10 on: October 01, 2015, 04:03:26 PM »
              Tried that and got nowhere. Had to use a driver update too to find and install what was needed. Internet now fine

Just having trouble with Windows Update now. Update check fails. Settings OK, no issues i can see with security software.
              Driver update tools are nothing more than spyware.
              Update your AV & run SuperAntiSpyware & Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
              You can more help here:  http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/board,53.0.html

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
              • Geek After Dark
                • Gekk9pm bnlog
              « Reply #11 on: October 01, 2015, 06:05:35 PM »
              Any ideas?
              Yes, go buy a new hard drive.
              The behavior describe is often the cause of an esoteric hard drive failure.
              But even if it is not the hard drive, it is still  handy to have a spare hard drive.

richardf77

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2015, 10:27:22 AM »
                Surely not all driver updaters are spyware/malware?  I used one called Driver Max  and it did what I wanted fine,  it found and installed the driver that was missing and the wireless Internet works fine nw.

Please don't tell me I have introduced something unwanted onto the PC? I will be putting Antispyware software on the machine so I will soon know I suppose.

The updated driver that was installed wouldn't be male are would it? That would put me right back to square 1, as Windows was hopeless at finding a new Network Adapter Driver, as was the Asus website.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
                  • Yes
                  • Yes
                  • BC-Programming.com
                « Reply #13 on: October 02, 2015, 01:13:18 PM »
                Surely not all driver updaters are spyware/malware?  I used one called Driver Max  and it did what I wanted fine,  it found and installed the driver that was missing and the wireless Internet works fine nw.

Please don't tell me I have introduced something unwanted onto the PC? I will be putting Antispyware software on the machine so I will soon know I suppose.

The updated driver that was installed wouldn't be male are would it? That would put me right back to square 1, as Windows was hopeless at finding a new Network Adapter Driver, as was the Asus website.

Driver Update software will either be spyware/malware in and of itself in the sense that they will tell you about how your system is totally out of date and you need to update the drivers or it will cause a cataclysm the likes of which had never been seen before, and luckily they can do it for the low price of 30 dollars. Even the most legitimate driver updaters don't really do much- they gather your hardware info, send it to the server, and show the results. Whether it finds an "update" depends on whether the server database is kept up to date, which means you have to trust that the database is being kept updated to track thousands upon thousands of different drivers for an equally unique set of products. Furthermore, even that kind is apt to contain spyware and malware.

Additionally, the programs and the companies behind them seem to approach driver updates as if they are magic cure alls. If the copy for a given product can equally apply to snake oil...
                I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

patio

• Genius
                • Maud' Dib
                  • Yes
                « Reply #14 on: October 02, 2015, 01:29:55 PM »
                Well stated.