Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: adding new old hdd  (Read 2006 times)

BigIan

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    adding new old hdd
    « on: September 28, 2015, 04:43:52 AM »
    Hi Guys
    I need some help, I want to move my "old" 640gb hdd from my redundant Zoostorm Q6600 to my current Zoostorm desktop as it contains files that I might want in the future and I'll just use it as an archive disk in future.
    So my questions are:
    Is there a "how to" on this anywhere?
    Will the 640gb disk function after transfer?
    What happens to the windows 7?
    Should I delete windows? Before of after transfer?
    Is there anything else I should know or do?

thanks in advance
    Ian

My old pc is a:
    Zoostorm Advanced Premium Desktop PC, Q6600, 4GB RAM, 640GB HDD, 512MB DDR3, running Windows 7, 32bit

My new current PC is a:
    Zoostorm Gaming Desktop PC, Intel Core i5-4670 3.4Ghz CPU 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz Ram 2TB HDD & 128GB SSD B85 Motherboard ATX Case with 500W PSU, running Windows 8.1, 64bit

Salmon Trout

Re: adding new old hdd
    « Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 06:05:11 AM »
    Assuming your old hard disk is a SATA disk, you can disconnect the power to both PCs, remove the disk drive from the older PC and install it in a spare bay in the newer one, connect a SATA power connector to the disk, and a SATA data cable to the disk drive and a spare SATA port on the motherboard, then power up the PC, press the start button and see what happens.

You should see Windows starting and the added disk showing up as a drive letter.

You may have to set the boot order in the BIOS.