Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Cloning Win 7  (Read 11751 times)

overthehill

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Keep Canada beautiful. Swallow your beer cans.
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Familiar
Cloning Win 7
« on: October 07, 2015, 09:26:24 PM »
My Acer AME600 i5 became cost wise un-repairable so I purchased a used Dell Vostro - Win 7 Extreme Edition R1. I took the HD out of the i5 and placed it into the Dell. I would like to clone the original HD to the one that I installed. I've really had very little experience with this. Some help would be great. Firstly I'd like to format what I'll call (Disk 1) . The original is marked (Disk 0).
I've gone into Disk Management and Unallocated one partition of disk 1 ( the disk has 6 partitions)and created a New Volume (F:)in another.
The partition marked (F:) gives me the option to Format. The Unallocated has option New Simple Volume. The other 4 gives only "Help". What I'm wondering is; if I format (F:) will that leave me with only one partition or what to do??
I've attached a file to show where I'm at with this.

Thanks,overthehill

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]

overthehill

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Yes
Re: Cloning Win 7
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 04:11:38 PM »
Got this figured out(well not completely) but was able to format the second drive and did a complete copy (using Macrium Reflect) from the first. What I'm having trouble with now is finding the (mring) file. After the complete copy I disconnected the original drive and connected the copied drive. With the MR boot disk inserted it loaded and took me to a MR install page but it's looking for a "mring" file, which I cannot find.
Any ideas? overthehill

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 04:48:23 PM »
Dictation.

It is not clear what you have done so far. Let's start out with what is normally done when one buys a new computer and wishes to save his old data. Then you can respond as to whether not that describes the procedure you used.

After purchase of a new computer, the user should minimize any invasive things he does to the new computer. This helps preserve the warranty. If something should go wrong with the computer during the warranty period or free service., The user will have to swear that he didn't do anything to the computer to make it behave abnormally.

So here is the procedure suggested by Microsoft and others to put onto a new computer.
Removes the disk drive from the old computer. Use an external device such as that USB enclosure and power supply to allow fields hard drive to be accessed via USB on the new machine.

On the new machine the user could either create a new partition or simply make a new folder to be used to store data material from the old hard drive.

There is a program from Microsoft that allowed to also transfer user settings as well as making copies of user files. However, most of the settings are probably not very important except perhaps bookmarks and favorites.
The is no effective way to France for programs from one computer to another. Despite the fact that some software houses claim they have such programs, these programs have a very high failure rate and are not worth the effort it takes to make them work. And that is not just my opinion.

Others have tried and found it very irritating that she just cannot transfer programs among computer to another.
So then, what is expected of you is to use your new computer as is, and simply copy over some of the data structures that you personally created on your old machine. As for your older programs, you'll have to install them a new from the original install disks. Some software companies will allow you to install the programs on a new computer with the understanding that you're not going to use the programs anymore on the old computer.

Otherwise, you would be required to buy new pressures of your old programs for use on your new computer.
But if you're trying to somehow transfer the entire disk from the old computer to the new computer, you can expect to have a lot of problems.

So then, with the above thoughts in mind, what sort of transfer of information did you intend? Did you intend to replace the operating system in the new computer with your old operating system?
No i recall I was successful for me only one time out of the many attempts that I tried it. And that was with older versions of Windows. Newer versions of Windows have their own rules about how to transfer programs and data from one to another.
As I understand it, you still cannot transfer copyrighted programs from one computer to another unless you have an explicit statement in the license that says you can do that. Check the EULA.

One company that I know of has a procedure where you must first install the program on Iraq online. This removes the registration from their user database. After that you install the program again on your new machine and use the same serial number to register your program. It will let you do that because you're previous registration of that same number has been deleted from their database. But if it had not been deleted, it will not let you do a fresh new install on a machine that is not the same as the original machine.

How many software companies follow that procedure I do not know. But Microsoft is one of the companies that does have a rather hard-nosed attitude about transferring programs from one computer to another.

N ow I hope this is been of some help to you. I do not know how to make it more concise and still get the point across. It is not easy to transfer an operating system and programs from one computer to another. Unless you have the original disks and you are sure the software companies involved will permit you to do just that.

Hope you get it gt it going right. :)

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2015, 04:56:06 PM »
Where did you save the Macrium image to ? ?
It won't aLLOW you to save it to the drive/partition you are imaging so thats out...
It's likely on your external HDD...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

overthehill

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2015, 11:20:04 PM »
Thanks Geek. I appreciate the info.that you provided and I'm sure that there will be a time when I need it. But,actually it's an older system that I'm working on and what I was trying to do here was to clone the original hard drive with (Win7) in this PC, to a secondary hard drive because I don't have a Win7 installation disk. Just wanted some security.

Thanks patio. Here's what I did.
I saved the image to a hard drive that I installed next to the original. I formatted the second drive (which was larger than the first)and did a disk copy from the original which they claim will copy everything . After it was copied I went to Disk Management and both drives were identical. I disconnected the original hard drive and booted up the PC. It appeared that they were looking for a boot disk so I installed the one that they had me burn. The PC started up fine and took me to a (MR) Macrium Reflect setup page with a bunch of options. That's where they asked for a mring file?

UPDATE: Well patio correct me if I'm wrong but I think now what I did was more like disk backup (or who knows) than cloning? After looking further into MR I realized after viewing a video on You Tube that the Free MR that I downloaded wasn't working properly. I downloaded MR again and now I can actually clone (I think). The previous download was missing a Wizard which is required for cloning in MR.  overthehill

overthehill

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2015, 01:45:58 PM »
Thks, Geek and patio. Got the drive cloned all is working fine. Just don't like the RED X's on those drives. The drives work fine but just wouldn't mind removing those X'S (which I have asked about in another post). overthehill

camerongray

Expert
    • Yes
    • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2015, 04:43:06 PM »
I hate to break it to you but "Windows 7 Extreme Edition R1" is a pirated copy, this was never an official release.  Does the machine have a product key for Windows 7 on the case?  If it does then use this to reinstall a fresh copy, if it does not then I would be contacting the seller and demanding a refund as well as reporting the matter to Microsoft: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/piracy/reporting/default.aspx

You also cannot clone a copy of Windows and expect it to run properly on a different machine, it may work but you'll run into issues.  You are much better off running a new install of Windows and then simply copy over the files that you want.

overthehill

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2015, 05:44:36 PM »
I wasn't attempting to clone to a different machine. I wanted to clone to a second drive within the same machine. overthehill

camerongray

Expert
    • Yes
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2015, 07:26:55 PM »
You want to put the content of the Vostro's disk onto the disk from your old machine?  Given that the Vostro's disk has a pirated copy of Windows that would be a bad idea. You should do a clean install onto the new disk using a genuine copy of Windows.

Even ignoring the fact that it is illegal, the version you are using has clearly been modified by some script kiddie into their own "Extreme Edition".  There is no telling what malware/security flaws they have introduced.  I'd be going back to the seller and asking why they sold you a machine with illegal software.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2015, 07:47:33 PM »
For general reference:
Windows lets you alter a folder link to another drive. So what seems to be a folder on the C: drive could really be on the D: drive. This can make backup easier if you only want to backup user files. It also makes for a short path to your stuff.
Source:
Redirect a folder to a new location.
You can change the location of the folders in your personal folder (such as My Documents and My Pictures) by redirecting them. For example, if you have a large number of files in your My Documents folder, you might want to store the files on a different hard drive or on a network to free up space on your primary hard drive.
:)

overthehill

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2015, 08:44:52 PM »
OK guys. Firstly what makes you think that I have a pirated copy? Apparently from what I've read not all Win 7 Extreme R.1 copies are pirated.

Secondly, I did not buy this from a dealer. I bought the system at a garage sale and I certainly did not check the version. Even if I had I would not have had any concerns. Professional,Ultra,Extreme etc.would have meant nothing to me. Never had win 7 before. I never thought about an illegal copy. Do you for a moment think that I would have mentioned Extreme if I had thought that there was any chance of illegalities?  Also,I found info. that stated that licenses were sold for Extreme R.1. That's what I'll go with. I'm not afraid of viruses etc. .If I encounter problems, I have it loaded on another drive. If that fails I'll load Vista.

Thirdly. Do you now expect me to destroy what's working perfectly because it may be pirated.? Don't think so. If I was wealthy I would have purchased a new system after my i5 gave out. This situation is certainly not what I intended or expected. I never would have bought this thing if I thought that there was the slightest chance of something illegal. That's not my style. overthehill

camerongray

Expert
    • Yes
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2015, 09:06:52 PM »
The only editions of Windows 7 ever sold by Microsoft are Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Ultimate and Enterprise.  Extreme is not a genuine copy and never has been despite what some dodgy websites claim.  Notice how there is no mention of it in any official Microsoft documentation.

Check the machine and see if it has a COA (sticker with product key) for any other version of Windows, it quite possibly does and this could be used to load a fully safe and genuine copy of Windows.  It'll be stuck somewhere on the outside of the case.

I'm not accusing you of knowingly buying a machine with a pirated OS, far from it, I'm just making you aware of the fact that your PC is running an OS that you really shouldn't be using.  This is the risk with buying a machine from a garage sale.  Microsoft also have a thing where if you report the piracy (I linked this site previously) they may send you a "get genuine" kit as a sort of "thank you" which would give you a fully licenced copy of Windows, worth a try if the machine doesn't have a COA.  Worst case you can pick up a genuine copy of Windows 10 for around $100.

Thirdly. Do you now expect me to destroy what's working perfectly because it may be pirated.?
It is pirated, no doubt about it.

In the end its up to you but I certainly wouldn't be using an OS that could be capturing my bank details or allowing attackers remote access behind my back! I can tell from the screenshot that it does not look like Windows 7 normally does meaning that someone has definitely fiddled with critical system files to change the style.

What is the service tag of this machine?  This will be on a sticker on the PC itself.  We can then look this up to see what version of Windows the machine has a licence for and can go from there.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2015, 09:11:54 PM »
Microsoft will purge pirate listings for search results.
You can test  Download Windows 7 Extreme Edition R1 suing Bing and find some 23,300,000 results.
My guess is that some of them have to be legit.
Overthehill swear on a three potato chips and I will believe you.
If you lie, the potato chips will make you choke.

:P

overthehill

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2015, 11:42:40 PM »
Camerongray and Geek.

Believe it or not.

I went to the link that Camerongray provided. There you can find out if the version of Windows that you are running is genuine or not. Please see attached.
Notice how they even offered me a complimentary subscription to Microsoft Security Essentials.

Thks, guys. overthehill

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]

Salmon Trout

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2015, 02:42:16 AM »
Notice how they even offered me a complimentary subscription to Microsoft Security Essentials.
It sounds like you have a fake Windows edition (the unofficial Windows 7 Extreme Edition) that has been doctored to fool the Microsoft activation servers into thinking that your edition is validly licensed. These are often found on machines bought from unscrupulous resellers (i.e. scammers) on eBay or elsewhere offering machines at a temptingly low price. You will probably find in a short while that it no longer works, and instead of free offers you start getting warning messages and then if you don't buy a valid license, a forced shutdown every 2 hours.