Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Cloning Win 7  (Read 11754 times)

camerongray

Expert
    • Yes
    • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Cloning Win 7
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2015, 06:25:25 AM »
As Salmon Trout says, it has been hacked to fool the Microsoft Activation servers, as pretty much all pirated copies are.  If it wasn't hacked in this way it would refuse to work properly again.  I've seen countless machines running pirated OSs, almost all of these have appeared as "genuine" to Microsoft's tools - In fact, I've seen Windows complaining about not being genuine most often on machines where it is in fact genuine and Microsoft's tools have claimed it to be not genuine in error.

This should not be this hard to understand, Microsoft have never released a version of Windows called "Extreme Edition R1" - If Microsoft never released it, it's not genuine, end of story.

It's simple, if you cannot find an edition for Windows for sale on a reputable retailer, it is not available for retail sale from Microsoft therefore it is not going to be genuine.

Care to explain why "Extreme Edition R1" does not appear in Microsoft's official version comparison chart? http://www.microsoft.com/uk/windows/business/windows-version-comparison-chart.aspx

I am trying to help you here.  Again, does the machine have a COA sticker anywhere on it for a copy of Windows?  What is the Dell Service Tag for this machine?

Microsoft will purge pirate listings for search results.
You can test  Download Windows 7 Extreme Edition R1 suing Bing and find some 23,300,000 results.
My guess is that some of them have to be legit.
1) No they won't, that is a stupidly big task
2) Lots of search results does not mean that it's legal, go and find a genuine copy of it for sale in a reputable store...

overthehill

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Keep Canada beautiful. Swallow your beer cans.
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2015, 09:00:04 AM »
Thanks again guys.

Camerongrays statement.
"I am trying to help you here.  Again, does the machine have a COA sticker anywhere on it for a copy of Windows?  What is the Dell Service Tag for this machine?"

All that is on the case is a tag for Win XP PC and also a tag that says Intel Core 2 Duo. All I really have is a Windows Product Number.

So now I should go to Microsoft and attempt to convince them that I have a pirated copy that they say is legal? ::)  Perhaps you would have known this but Microsoft even setup an icon on my desktop (Widows Activation Technologies) for me to check the activation periodically.

If,and I say if, this is a pirated copy, perhaps it's a better version that Microsoft could ever build. From what you are saying, the pirates are smarter than Microsoft.

Salmon Trout said:
You will probably find in a short while that it no longer works, and instead of free offers you start getting warning messages and then if you don't buy a valid license, a forced shutdown every 2 hours.

I think that I will wait for this to happen. Until I'm totally convinced that what I have is illegal, I'm not going to argue with Microsoft.

BTW This system runs ever bit a good as my i5 system did. And with this system I was able to load my legal copy of Office 2000. overthehill

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2015, 09:17:47 AM »
Ccamerongray, you make some good points. Still, I respectfully disagree.
Overhell says he bought the product believing it was legal. I have no resewn to think that he would knowingly but a prate product. But I can believe that a big company will do anything to promotes its own interests. I think MS puts mud in  the water to cause confusion and intimidate end-users.

My position has been that Microsoft has been long misleading us all with their strange set of rules that benefit them and snot the end-user. IMO, Microsoft has tolerated piracy to gain more market share for  a proprietary product. After you have been using the bogus  version, they then tell you they just found out it was operated and you have to pay for it. How do we know that MS was not promoting piracy to assertive its software?

The technology to stop pirate circulation existed back in 1995 when MS released Windows 95. Yet MS pretended it was hard to catch the pirates or to stop them from making bogus copies. Many companies did have tools that stopped the pirates cold.  But MS looked away as it such technology did not exist.

An yes, somebody complains to Google to remove some of the listings. Also, eBay has placed some warnings about pirate software. Of course, eBay, like other huge companies, wants to protect themselves and maintain a market position.

If you are a legal owner of a MS product and you wish to sell it, you will find resistance. I have had my listings pulled off of eBay because MS, or somebody who represents them, complained. Common law is that you can sell anything that you buy it is is a tangible article. It is also common  that  you can not counterfeit something and sell it. something.

Or to put it another way, I shed no teases for Microsoft.

Overhll, if you are still there, go ahead and use the Microsoft product. If it is not legit it is the responsibility of MS to interrogative the issue. They have resources far beyond what we individual users have.   :)

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2015, 09:21:35 AM »
I'd give it an 80% chance that MS would rectify it and issue a new liscense for legit Win7...

They don't want this stuff out there either...and they aren't the ogres people make them out to be...

Just my 2 cents.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

overthehill

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2015, 11:56:05 AM »
Thks.patio

How am I going to take that chance(80%) when they tell me that what I have is legit. Like I mentioned earlier, am I supposed to fight with them? How would I go about convincing them that my copy may be illegal?. I went to their site. I asked the question. I got a positive response. Now whether or not it was actually Microsoft that gave me that response, who knows and how can I prove it?. Ask Microsoft? After all, I did go to the Microsoft site. I didn't go anywhere else looking for the answer that I wanted.
If "Blackbeard" is hacking the Microsoft sites maybe we have bigger problems?

At this point it would be much easier for me to go out and buy a (for sure) legal Win 7 version. But,right now I'm not prepared to do that. overthehill

camerongray

Expert
    • Yes
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2015, 01:21:05 PM »
It's also a bad sign that this machine has a Core 2 Duo sticker on it - If it does indeed have an i7 then it is not a Dell Vostro and is instead some random PC someone has cobbled together into a Dell case.  This is why you should really do research into these things before you buy them.

1) It is not a genuine copy,no ifs no buts, it's not
2) It is not better than anything Microsoft could have made - Microsoft employ the best software engineers they can, that "Extreme Edition" was likely made by some kid who watched a few YouTube videos on how to modify a copy of Windows.
3) In the end, you are still running an illegal copy of Windows, I doubt you're going to get support from us for it...

Salmon Trout

« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2015, 03:47:47 PM »
Quote from: overthehill
Salmon Trout said:
You will probably find in a short while that it no longer works, and instead of free offers you start getting warning messages and then if you don't buy a valid license, a forced shutdown every 2 hours.

I think that I will wait for this to happen. Until I'm totally convinced that what I have is illegal, I'm not going to argue with Microsoft.

Every so often Microsoft includes code in a Windows update which sniffs out fake activations and nukes them. Next boot... "Your copy of Windows is not genuine".

You should be convinced. Windows 7 Extreme... Typical story...

I've got a Lenovo Thinkpad recently acquired from Ebay. The Seller has installed some crap called ' Windows 7 Extreme Edition R1'.
When I run slmgr /dlv it tells me its kosher Windows R(7), OEM_SLP channel - but
the OS properties and splash screen tell me its Windows Extreme Edition R1. ( 32 bit of course)
Windows Genuine Advantage software does not see this as a fake; so I'm guessing the boot sector\MBR is seriously modified at install. MSE doesn't detect anything either.
Has anyone got any more info on this fakery before I send PayPal after the seller with baseball bat ?

Anyhow, don't take our word for it. If you are so sure that what you have is genuine and legal, you can prove it like this:

1. Audit the installed product Key with Belarc Advisor,

2. Clean reinstall an official copy of OS using an ISO from here:

http://www.mydigitallife.info/download-windows-7-iso-official-32-bit-and-64-bit-direct-download-links/

3. Try to activate it with the key which Belarc found.

If it won't activate then it is a bootleg version. You'll need to buy another key

The big worry to me would not be the legal license status, although of course that is important. More serious is the fact that a fake Windows install could (would!) have any number of trojans, back doors, malware infected files, etc, and crippled antivirus apps. Still, it appears you know best. Welcome to a botnet, most likely.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2015, 05:30:53 PM »
For what it is worth.
Yes, there  has been a lot pf pirated Windows 7 copies sold by third parties.
However, many legal owners of Windows 7 were told they had a fake copy
Reported last year., but still pops up. Source is InfoWorld.
http://www.infoworld.com/article/2859267/operating-systems/windows-7-hit-by-rash-of-bogus-not-genuine-reports-validation-code-0x8004fe21.html
Windows 7 hit by rash of bogus 'not genuine' reports, validation code 0x8004FE21

BTW: I am legal, after a number of attempts. :-\

overthehill

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2015, 11:17:30 PM »
OK Folks, here's the latest. I upgraded Win 7 Extreme to Win 10 Pro. Am I legal ? overthehill

camerongray

Expert
    • Yes
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2015, 05:28:51 AM »
No, you still do not have a licence for Windows 7 which is a prerequisite for getting the free upgrade to Windows 10.

You need to either try and get get a refund for the machine (what I would do) or purchase a new copy of Windows from a repuatable retailer such as Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832416892&cm_re=windows_10-_-32-416-892-_-Product

overthehill

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2015, 08:31:31 AM »
"No, you still do not have a licence for Windows 7 which is a prerequisite for getting the free upgrade to Windows 10."

It is not and was not a prerequisite for the upgrade. Microsoft disagrees. Was this the work of a hacker too?? Win 7 no longer exists. Why in the world would I want a license for something I don't have? Would you license your old vehicle after trading it in for a new one. I for one certainly would not. Win 10 Pro is now my OS and it appears to be working just fine. Win 7?. Never heard of it. overthehill

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2015, 08:48:48 AM »
Talk in person to an Activation receptionist and they will get you fixed up...

Just explain the circumstances...and what you have been told here...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

overthehill

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2015, 10:33:36 AM »
Thanks patio.
I took your advice and called Microsoft Canada . I explained the situation fully. I explained that I had purchased a PC (at a garage sale) that had Win 7 Extreme Edition R.1 as the OS. I only found out from a computer group "of which i'm a member" that possibly,probably, for sure, this was a pirated copy. (Microsoft could not or would not confirm the legitimacy of "Extreme ") I also explained that I upgraded to Win 10 Pro from Win 7 Extreme. I was told if Win 10 downloaded without errors and if it is working properly, "you're good to go". If Win 7 is gone, use your Win 10 and have a good day.

I spoke to Ann at 10:54 A.M. Central Time. overthehill

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2015, 03:37:12 PM »
So, you now have Windows 10.
Simple solution is to stick with Windows 10.
But if you need Windows 7 for an experiment, you can install it on a separate partition and use it for 30 days.
To paraphrase Lincoln:
You can have Windows 7 some of the time...
You can have Windows 10 some of the time...
But not have both all of the time.
  :P

Unless you hate another key for Windows 7. (Which I do.)  :)

Salmon Trout

« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2015, 03:51:45 PM »
The point overthehill is missing is that when you install a Windows 10 upgrade to Windows 7, the Windows 7 license, product key etc is read and used by the Windows 10 installer. You don't get a new key. If you upgrade a bootleg Windows 7 or 8 then you will have a bootleg Windows 10 and one day a Windows Update is going to pull the rug out from under your feet.