Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Static noise and then power shuts off  (Read 2940 times)

peachflame

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Static noise and then power shuts off
    « on: November 04, 2015, 06:18:27 AM »
    Every time I turn my laptop on, the screen is black, static/ocean wave sound comes out of audio, then it shuts itself off. Its an Acer Gateway laptop and i just recently had to get all the hardware replaced due to me accidentally dropping it. Is there a way for me to fix this problem and without having to pay to get it repaired once more?

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Static noise and then power shuts off
    « Reply #1 on: November 04, 2015, 08:52:23 AM »
    Are you sure its the speakers making this noise and not a fan that is grinding inside or hard drive? Such as if you connect the audio jack on the laptop to a heatset do you hear this direct to your ears?

The sound your referring to out from a sound card at boot without the system booting would be the most worst case scenario for hoping to get the computer back up and running, but your data could still be recovered possibly by removing the hard drive and placing it into a empty external hard drive case.

If the sound is found to not be the audio out but instead a mechanical noise from within the laptop then your looking at a Fan that is grinding and not spinning up to speed that then the laptop shuts itself off likely because it senses an issue with the fan speed so its protecting itself from a bad thermal condition with inadequate airflow from a troubled fan. This generally means replacing the damaged fan. This you could do yourself if you feel confident with opening the laptop being careful and swapping it out.

If its the hard drive of the computer which it probably isnt... then your data is likely gone. However reason why i feel its not the hard drive is because if the hard drive failed, the computer should boot and just remain making the horrible sound and just complain about no operating system found or hard drive failure or some other indication that the hard drive is ill.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Static noise and then power shuts off
    « Reply #2 on: November 04, 2015, 09:16:13 AM »
    I would immediately contact the shop Owner as you didn't get what you paid for them to do.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "