Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Dell lap top problem  (Read 4315 times)

bob moos

Dell lap top problem
« on: July 27, 2004, 01:45:43 PM »
Have a Dell Isperion 4000, about 3 years old. Running Windows ME. I have a problem with the hard drive making a clicking noise and freezing the mouse arrow.

The clicking noise will sometimes stop and then I can continue what I was doing.  The it may start again, and sometimes continue until I have to turn off the computer.
I spent 2 1/2 hours with a Dell tech from, you guessed it, India and  after running several tests said the hard drive was working ok and further stated that the problem was with the hard drive (go figure). So I guess I need to buy another hard drive, unless sombody knows somthing else I can try.

Thanks...bob

merlin_2

Re: Dell lap top problem
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2004, 02:36:38 PM »
is this connected to the net? type dxdiag in the run box this will test your graphics..also run scandisk this will test your hard drive for bad clusters<sectors>any chance of a ruby murray ;D
« Last Edit: July 27, 2004, 02:37:39 PM by merlin_2 »

bobmoos

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2004, 03:31:03 PM »
Yes it is connected by wireless network, will try your suggestion when I get home tonight. What is "ruby murray"?

Computer_Commando

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2004, 03:51:06 PM »
Do you know the manufacturer of the hard drive?  If so, go to their website and download the test software for the hard drive.

merlin_2

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2004, 01:13:09 AM »
the reason for asking if it was on the net was ...maybe a virus scumware trojan maybe be causing your problem download spysweeper <webroot .com>also is your wan encripted if not some scumbug maybe accessing your hard drive<or scanning it> therefore the clicking of it?have you got a firewall sygate personal is good and free...a ruby murray is slang for curry as in india.... ;D
« Last Edit: July 28, 2004, 01:13:54 AM by merlin_2 »