Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Threshold 2  (Read 11249 times)

artbuc

Topic Starter

Apprentice

Threshold 2
    « on: November 13, 2015, 11:42:09 AM »
    Anyone install yet? Any bugs? On another forum someone reported certain keys on his keyboard do not work.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Threshold 2
    « Reply #1 on: November 13, 2015, 12:02:00 PM »
    I just Googled this because my machine doesn't have any updates available and found out that anyone who's upgraded to Windows 10 within the last 31 days won't be offered this update yet.  This is because of the 30-day rollback period, where you can roll back to Windows 7 or 8 from Windows 10.  I did a clean install on this machine so I'm not entirely sure why I don't have the update available, but at the same time I'm a little glad because I'd rather wait a few days to install it anyway.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: November 13, 2015, 05:16:10 PM »
    Not much different from the previous version.  No problem installing on 4 machines; will not install on the 5th machine.  Hangs while checking, no matter what download is used.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    « Reply #3 on: November 13, 2015, 11:15:10 PM »
    Updated one of my Win 10 systems and it seems to work fine.

The main visible change is that Title bar colors can be adjusted now, though I presume there are a number of other changes that have been made as well.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2015, 08:37:23 AM »
    Works fine for me; I already had it on an Insider machine about a week before, I have been using the "cast media" feature in Edge and am pleased with it. Pinned Start tiles can now be 4 wide versus 3 before.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    « Reply #5 on: November 14, 2015, 12:07:37 PM »
    Here's what got me past the hangup on the HP.
    Start---Run---msconfig---Diagnostic Startup---Reboot

If I choose "Normal Startup", it always reboots back into "Selective Startup".
    Task Manager now controls Selective Startup.

Now run the upgrade from the USB flash drive.  It got past the "making sure you're ready to install" & is now Installing Windows.
    It switched back to the desktop with a small window that says "Windows 10 installation has failed".  Never got to the 1st restart.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    « Reply #6 on: November 14, 2015, 08:15:31 PM »
    Finally figured it out. Problem is related to UEFI/GPT & the hidden partitions needed for upgrading.

Been trying to upgrade from 10130 to 1511 for the past 2 days.
    Could not get past the "making sure you're ready to install".
    Laptop had 2 "blank" partitions, 312MB UEFI Boot before Win10 & 950MB empty one after Win10. I split the 900MB into 700MB & 150MB, like my T100 tablet. I named the 700 MB "Recovery". It now got past the "making sure you're ready to install", went to the big blue screen & then the big black screen with the % in the center circle. Never got this far in 20 hrs of screwing around with it. Had pretty much given up on it. It completed successfully!!

Didn't have the same problem on a UEFI/GPT desktop or UEFI/GPT tablet or 2 non-UEFI/GPT machines. The UEFI desktop had single 128MB partition after the Windows partitions; none are designated "Recovery".

Didn't matter if upgrade was via Windows Update or downloaded ISO burned to flash drive. It would always stop at "making sure you're ready to install". Didn't lock up computer, but shut it off & re-imaged every time with Macrium Reflect, so always trying something different from the same starting point. Must have tried it 20 times, even disabling startup item with msconfig. That resulted in switched back to the desktop with a small window that said "Windows 10 installation has failed". Never got to the 1st restart.

I've been an Insider for over a year & previously Win10 created the empty partitions wherever it needed.
    Looks like this version changed how this is done.

It completed & Windows has now resized & renamed some of the partitions:

328 MB No Name (EFI System)
    62.89 GB Windows
    912 MB No Name (Recovery) Windows resized & removed the Label on this one
    128 MB No Name Windows resized this one

strollin

Adviser
      • Yes
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #7 on: November 15, 2015, 12:44:10 AM »
    I've been running the insider version in a VM for a week or more.  My laptop that came with Win 10 factory installed just got the Threshold 2 update today.  No issues for me with either the VM or the laptop.

Mostly bug fixes, a few tweaks with Edge, Cortana and the Start menu.  As far as I'm concerned the biggest new "feechur" is that you can now clean install using a valid Win7 or Win8 Product Key so it's no longer necessary to first do an upgrade install and then go back and do a clean install.

Clayto2

Beginner

• Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #8 on: November 15, 2015, 09:03:28 AM »
      My Windows10 running OK after update except for booting problem I am dealing with plus a number of features which have never worked or which worked for a while then stopped or which are supposed  to have been in the November Threshold2 update:

CORTANA     notifications donot popup, at any time
                 notification do not sync to my Windows phone
                           there is nowhere for creating hand written stylus  Notes --- no Notebook for doing this
                           no comments, tips from Cortana

EDGE            no option for casting media appears in the menu (I see others have it)

AND there is more, despite upgrade from 8.1 and the November update having been successful (but with a BSOD attack)

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #9 on: November 15, 2015, 09:50:55 AM »
      Umm ... how do we know whether we have Threshold 2?  Does "Threshold 2" appear somewhere in a Properties panel, like "SP1", "SP2", etc. for previous versions of Windows? 

My insider preview version of Windows 10 obviously got an update 2 days ago.  I suspect this was Threshold 2 but, again, how can a user verify that?

artbuc

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2015, 10:17:03 AM »
        Umm ... how do we know whether we have Threshold 2?  Does "Threshold 2" appear somewhere in a Properties panel, like "SP1", "SP2", etc. for previous versions of Windows? 

My insider preview version of Windows 10 obviously got an update 2 days ago.  I suspect this was Threshold 2 but, again, how can a user verify that?

It will say Version 1511, Build 10586. 1511 is for 2015, 11th month.

soybean

Genius
        • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #11 on: November 15, 2015, 11:00:13 AM »
        It will say Version 1511, Build 10586. 1511 is for 2015, 11th month.
        Thanks, Art.  For the benefit of anyone else wondering how to determine whether you have it,  you can find out by clicking Start, Settings, and the selecting About.   The full OS Build number is 10586.3. 

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #12 on: November 15, 2015, 11:06:57 AM »
        Nice catch Art.
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

strollin

Adviser
          • Yes
        • Experience: Guru
        « Reply #13 on: November 15, 2015, 11:18:17 AM »
        Thanks, Art.  For the benefit of anyone else wondering how to determine whether you have it,  you can find out by clicking Start, Settings, and the selecting About.   The full OS Build number is 10586.3.
        I find it's easier to open a command prompt and type in winver.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #14 on: November 17, 2015, 01:35:30 PM »
        Well, this is weird...I've checked and I installed Windows 10 on the 11th of October, so it's not the 31-day thing that's stopping me from getting this update.  I definitely don't have it installed, I checked the build number as above, so I'm not sure why it's not available for me.
        The one oddity I can think of is that I distinctly remember having the option to defer upgrades, which I thought was odd as I have the Home edition which I thought didn't have this option.  I've read some info about some update that may have added this option to the Home edition, not sure if that actually happened though as there's a lot of false info about Windows 10 out there.  Anyway, I did have this option, and now I don't, so I wonder if me ticking this option before has left it "set" somewhere in the registry...can't find info on this either from Googling.  I haven't spent all that much time on this but thought I'd mention it in case anyone else has the same issue, if I find a fix I'll post it here.
        I do know I could use the media creation tool to create installation media and upgrade from this, but I'd rather fix whatever's causing this update not to show up.