Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Threshold 2  (Read 11201 times)

Clayto2

Beginner

• Experience: Familiar
    Re: Threshold 2
    « Reply #15 on: November 29, 2015, 10:11:31 AM »
    After a long saga of errors, freezes and restarts I now have Threshold installed more or less OK. Like some others (in the UK) I wasted much time trying to find the Cortana Notebook inking feature, only to learn it is not(yet?) available in the UK (and elsewhere). Why was this not explained?

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #16 on: November 30, 2015, 10:41:32 AM »
    Wish I could tell you but I still can't get Threshold 2 :(
    As per my earlier post I've waded through the registry to check if there was an option set that no longer had a UI to unset, but I came up blank, cmae across a few settings that looked promising which I couldn't find much info on...backed up the registry and changed them, but no dice so I reverted my changes,

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #17 on: November 30, 2015, 01:47:10 PM »
    I know some who just got the Windows update that puts the Win10 icon in the system tray, that's 4 months.  If you don't want to wait, download the ISO file.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2015, 02:02:17 PM »
    I know some who just got the Windows update that puts the Win10 icon in the system tray, that's 4 months.  If you don't want to wait, download the ISO file.

Open this page in a browser in a non-Microsoft OS, choose your edition and language and it gives you download links for 32 bit and 64 bit Home/Pro valid for 24 hours to get the ISO:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Doing it in a non-Windows OS by passes the media creation tool and gets you the actual ISO link. You can right click the link button and copy the link location and use it in a browser in Windows to do the actual download (about 3 GB)

[update]

Or (at the moment) you can use a browser in Windows to go to the German Tech Bench site and get the ISOs, just be sure to choose the right edition (Edition auswählen) and language (Produktsprache auswählen)

https://www.microsoft.com/de-de/software-download/techbench

« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 02:20:19 PM by Salmon Trout »

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    « Reply #19 on: December 08, 2015, 03:50:46 PM »
    Sorry CC and Salmon, thought I'd replied but have returned to post an update and realised I didn't.  I know you can download the ISO, which I have, I have just been holding off to see if it eventually trickles down through Windows Update.  Salmon's post above is useful for anyone who wants to be able to download the ISO easily though, I did that initially to do a clean install of Windows 10 rather than use the media creation tool.

My gf's laptop picked up the November update today after the normal Patch Tuesday updates, it's been downloading it for a while so it'll probably install tomorrow.  Installed the same round of patches on my machine, rebooted and re-checked for updates, but still no TH2.  It looks like that means it's still not available for everyone, which I see Computer_Commando has alluded to above, that MS may still not be making it available to everyone at once possibly to conserve bandwidth.

Just updating here as I thought someone may find this useful and/or reassuring, if they haven't got the TH2 update showing yet then it may just take a little more time.

Edit: though, I'm not sure what criteria they are using to determine which machines get the update.  My gf's laptop was upgraded quite a while after I installed Windows 10 on my machine, and we use the same connection and the same IP so it doesn't seem like it's based on location or available bandwidth.  My machine also runs 24/7 whereas hers is on for maybe 4 hours a day.  Maybe it's semi random or MS are using some internal logic that isn't obvious to outsiders to determine which systems get the update before others.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    « Reply #20 on: December 08, 2015, 04:51:50 PM »
    I was able to get my old desktop updated to Threshold 2, it wasn't showing it in Windows update, but after 5 or 6 reboots, it started showing up. Then it failed to install and I had to reboot another 5 or 6 times for it to succeed, not sure what was up with that.

Speaking of that, In another post, I mentioned that Floppy Drives didn't work with Windows 10, and CC stated they did. I was curious so I turned on my old desktop that evening. It has Windows 10 and I hadn't updated it to Threshold 2 at the time. It was also my 'source' For Floppy drives not working, as it has a Combo Card reader FDD drive installed- I was able to boot DOS 6.22 but Windows 10 never let me access the floppy drive- A: at the prompt gives me Invalid Drive specification, for example.

This behaviour persisted- but while I had it on I went through the fun described above to install the latest updates. After that, I was able to access the floppy drive.

I don't know if it was Threshold 2 or another previous update, but at some point it seems they added-back support for Floppy Drives- I'm quite certain it had at least RTM since I had installed Windows 10 from the release MSDN ISO.  I'm a bit tempted to see what Windows 10 thinks of my 5-1/4" floppy.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.