Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Wireless usb hub price  (Read 2672 times)

RokvicN

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Wireless usb hub price
    « on: November 25, 2015, 09:37:43 AM »
    Hello there, I was searching the internet for a while, trying to find some cheap way to connect my tv and speakers with my laptop without cables. I was thinking to do it (not sure if it's possible, but why wouldn't it be?) by using vga to usb converter, where one (vga) connector would go into tv, and the other, converted, usb side would stick to the usb hub, and then, wirelessly to laptop. Speakers would be connected to the external usb sound card, which would be connected to wireless hub too. The only thing I was able to find was some products from "Belkin" (like this one http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-F5U301-CableFree-4-Port-Dongle/dp/B000LP9RQC) but the price of 200$ was not exactly what I was looking for. I mean, u can find some wireless mouses on ebay and everywhere else for less than five dollars (work method is the same I think, they use 2.4Ghz technology just like usb hub), so why this thing would be 40 times more expensive?

camerongray

Expert
      • Yes
      • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Wireless usb hub price
    « Reply #1 on: November 25, 2015, 10:02:32 AM »
    Making USB wireless is an extremely hard task, I'd be surprised if even that $200 Belkin device would work reliably.  A wireless mouse is different as it doesn't send the USB signal wirelessly, instead it simply sends its movements wirelessly to the dongle which translates it into the USB signal, this is very little data to transfer.  General USB on the other hand can send huge amounts of data at high speed.

A USB signal is not designed to be sent over anything other than a perfect wired connection so what you are looking for is extremely hard.  Even with that Belkin device I'd be amazed if it could move enough data reliably enough to support a video signal.

A Chromecast sounds like the ideal device for this, you can easily use it to play media such as YouTube directly on the device or you can use a simple Chrome extension explained here to share anything on your screen: http://www.howtogeek.com/199565/mirror-anything-from-your-computer-to-your-tv-using-google-chromecast/.  It costs $35, connects to your TV with an HDMI cable and to your laptop over an existing WiFi network.  If you want to use your separate speakers with it, either connect them to the audio output of your TV or get a simple HDMI audio extractor.

RokvicN

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: November 25, 2015, 10:27:43 AM »
      Thanks so much mate, I was skeptical for that idea of mine, why can't I find some more information, if it's gonna work, and obviously, there is no any info. cause it isn't working. Anyway, I don't really know how, but I've never heard of that chromecast device, I'm definitely gonna get it. But I just can't figure it out, that little usbflashlike thing is going into hdmi tv connector, and than, how it connects to my router, and how am I connecting to chromecast with my phone/laptop?

camerongray

Expert
        • Yes
        • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: November 25, 2015, 01:19:16 PM »
      The Chromecast is essentially a small computer (very similar to what you'd find in a low end smartphone) that can connect over HDMI so it can pretty easily do what it needs to do, it's not just a dumb stick.  You can see how to set it up here: https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/2998456?hl=en-GB.  Essentially you install a special app on your computer (With WiFi support) or phone and it will scan for Chromecasts and then let you set it up with the password for your WiFi network.  Once it's set up, other devices on the network should be able to automatically see the device and send video to it.