Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: DNS server address  (Read 3678 times)

ad2066

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Expert
    DNS server address
    « on: November 29, 2015, 09:10:21 PM »
    Hello guys! First of all I'm sorry if I make grammatical mistakes; my English is not perfect.

My question is that why my dns server address (location) is different from my IP address (location) when I'm using VPS?
    I wanted to have a Russian IP and got a Russian VPS. Now when I check ipleak website, it shows that my IP if from Russia but my DNS server address is for Finland. How can I solve this issue and have the same location(Russia) for both IP and DNS?

I thought maybe it's normal that DNS server can be from another country but I wanted to know that can websites detect that I'm using VPS and/or my location isn't Russia?
    I mean does it make sense that I'm from another country only for the reason that my DNS (not IP) shows another country?

I've checked my real IP (lets I'm in Italy now and my real IP is for Italy) with ipleak.net and it shows my DNS address from some other countries but Italy is also included. I've also tested it with some other computers with real IP and all shows only Italy or one of DNS address server locations is Italy.

Thanks in advance and sorry for long question!

Looking forward for your help/guide

Best,
    Ali

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    Re: DNS server address
    « Reply #1 on: November 29, 2015, 10:14:31 PM »
    DNS is Domain Name System
    It is not clear why toy need a Russian DNS.
    The DNS is worldwide.  Often the local provider gives you a suitable DNS.
    Some users prefer to subscribe to a DNS company for special needs.
    Google has a free DNS for anyone.
    Google Public DNS
    In most cases, the IP addresses used by your ISP's domain name servers are automatically set by your ISP via the Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP). To use Google Public DNS, you need to explicitly change the DNS settings in your operating system or device to use the Google Public DNS IP addresses. The procedure for changing your DNS settings varies according to operating system and version (Windows, Mac or Linux) or the device (computer, phone, or router). We give general procedures here that might not apply for your OS or device; please consult your vendor documentation for authoritative information.
    Does that help any?  :)

EDIT:This was found:
    Yandex launches public DNS service with malicious URL filtering
    Is that important to you?

ad2066

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2015, 11:34:36 PM »
      Thanks Geek-9pm!

Actually I want to know is it normal if a person from Italy has a DNS from Holland for example?
      And is it safe if I use a public DNS (not only for google, any other public DNS)?
      And finally, will it be possible for websites to recognize that a person use a public DNS or not?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #3 on: November 29, 2015, 11:57:12 PM »
      ....And finally, will it be possible for websites to recognize that a person use a public DNS or not?
      Not to my knowledge. A website can trace you IP, but normally evening DNS information is not part of standard protocol.

BTW: If you use some kind of proxy, the proxy does the lookup of the domain name. This prevents a malicious site  from trapping  DNS..

ad2066

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2015, 01:11:51 AM »
        Is is safe if I use a public DNS? (except of google).
        Many IPSs provide public DNS and I want to use one of those. The speed of their DNS server is not important for me. I just want to use something except of Google public DNS and want to know all of them are safe?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        « Reply #5 on: November 30, 2015, 03:49:40 AM »
        Earlier I gave a link about Yandex It  is  somewhere in eastern Europe and offer public DNS. So if you set yourself to that service you would have the benefit of filtering out some of the bad stuff that comes
        from the east.

http://public-dns.tk/

The above link gives a list of popular and by country DNS.
        DNS servers in Russian Federation shows many.