Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Huge .bin file problem  (Read 2151 times)

jsvalen

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Huge .bin file problem
    « on: November 30, 2015, 07:55:05 PM »
    I was trying to update the software on my D-Link DIR-615 router and downloaded the update from the D-Link support page. It downloaded a .bin file. By referencing the Support site I was eventually able to figure out how to update my router's software. Unfortunately, at the time I downloaded it I did not know I was not supposed to open the .bin file. So, when I double clicked on the .bin file and nothing happened, I stupidly designated a program change under "Properties" and changed it to have the program "Notepad" open the .bin file. I have subsequently figured out how to use the .bin file to update my software. My problem now is that because I changed the .bin file to open using Notepad, no matter how I try I can't change it back to a .bin file. This includes deleting it and downloading it again from the Support page; every time I download it, it still shows up as a Notepad file and not a .bin file. I hope you understand my problem and can help. Thank you.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Huge .bin file problem
    « Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 08:41:41 PM »
    First, did you get the update to your router?
    Your router has a different OS and a different CPU. Trying to open it in Windows was a mistake and was not what the router make told you to do.

So, have you now got the router updated the right way?
    Once you have done the. the file is not longer needed, but neither do you have to erase it.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Huge .bin file problem
    « Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 08:44:39 PM »
    No need to double-post...

Topic Closed.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "