Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: copy contents from one html page1 table-A to html page2 table-B..  (Read 10555 times)

madhwan

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Familiar
    i have two html pages.   html page1 and html page2. html page1 contains table-A, from this i want to copy the contents and paste them to table-B in html page2.  but when i select the contents from table-A and try to copy theim in table-B, the error message occurs"table cell boundaries does not allow copy or deletion.".  pls help me

attaching the html pages also

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: copy contents from one html page1 table-A to html page2 table-B..
    « Reply #1 on: December 08, 2015, 09:31:42 AM »
    Exactly how are you trying to do this?  Are you opening the HTML files in Notepad or an HTML editor?  If not, then how were you trying to copy from one page to the other?

madhwan

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2015, 09:48:20 AM »
      hi soyabean,  i am trying to copy them with the help of html editor netscape.....but if you have any other way pls tell me, i would love to learn that.....

soybean

Genius
      « Reply #3 on: December 08, 2015, 10:18:20 AM »
      So, you're using Netscape Composer, right?  I believe it's quite old.  I suggest you find something more current to work with.  See The 10 Best Free HTML Editors for Windows for a list of free editors.  The only HTML editor on that website that I have actually used is Bluefish and I was using it with Linux, and this was a few years ago.  So, I can't really give a strong recommendation for a particular editor because I haven't used any of them for awhile. 

I do maintain a website for a local organization but I use the cPanel provided by the hosting service and edit pages by using one of several editing modes available via the cPanel.   Most hosting services provide the same tools, so, if you have a hosting service for your website, I suggest you take a look at what HTML editing tools are available from them. 

And, if you have some knowledge of HTML, you can use just use Windows Notepad to edit your HTML files, test them by opening the HTML files in your web browser, and then upload them to your web server.   

Knowing more about your level of knowledge would be helpful.

madhwan

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2015, 10:47:27 AM »
        I tried to copy the contents from table A to Table B using new editor NVU, but i found that table B is having different properties like it is having table inside the table.  one column having 27 rows, total 11 columns and 27 rows each.....

in table A, it is having 11 coulumns and 27 rows only

soybean

Genius
        « Reply #5 on: December 08, 2015, 11:29:11 AM »
        Again, exactly how are you copying from one page to the other?  Are you copying between "What You See Is What You Get" (WYSIWYG) screens, or are you copying between panels showing the actual HTML code? 

In other words, I believe you  have two or more views in NVU.  You can view the page as it would look in a web browser, or you can view the HTML code.  Which view are you using when you copy? 

Do you have any understanding of the underlying HTML code in your pages?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        • Certifications: List
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #6 on: December 08, 2015, 01:47:47 PM »
        Confider:
        WYSIWYG HTML editor.
        That term is used for the Netscape editor.
        You can still download the Netscape browser.
        http://netscape-browser.en.softonic.com/

A current similar project is Sea Monkey.
        It is just as easy as Netscape.
        http://www.seamonkey-project.org/

However, the OP should not have to get a new editor.

soybean

Genius
        « Reply #7 on: December 08, 2015, 07:08:13 PM »
        However, the OP should not have to get a new editor.
        So, you're saying Netscape is still okay?  I'm inclined to disagree.  Netscape faded from the horizon long ago.  Web browsers have continued to march forward at a rapid pace since the days of the Netscape browser.  With numerous more current freeware HTML editors, I would want to be using one of them, not Netscape.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        « Reply #8 on: December 08, 2015, 07:45:26 PM »
        soybean,  your point is valid. He should use a new editor.
        Still, his question was about how to copy information from a table and put it into another. Does his choice of editor make a difference?

If indeed the copy and paste can not be done in HTML, then should be some way to workaround this. Perhaps the solution is to export the document to another file type type  then edit and then send it back to HTML.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #9 on: December 08, 2015, 07:51:24 PM »
        Does his choice of editor make a difference?
        The error is from the editor. It doesn't even make much sense.

If indeed the copy and paste can not be done in HTML, then should be some way to workaround this. Perhaps the solution is to export the document to another file type type  then edit and then send it back to HTML.
        I expect most other editors to better handle this case- though, I'm not even clear what they are trying to do, myself. I think they want to merge the contents of one table onto the end of another.
        I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

madhwan

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2015, 09:28:05 PM »
          dear freinds,

i have used nvu editor now, i have tried to copy the contents from tableA by seletcting the cells as shown in the attachement, but when i try to paste them in tableB, all the contents get pasted only in one cell..... attaching the pics of the same

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
          • Geek After Dark
            • Gekk9pm bnlog
          « Reply #11 on: December 08, 2015, 09:46:02 PM »
          Nvu (pronounced "N-view") is a WYSIWYG HTML editor,[1] based on the Composer component of Mozilla Application Suite 1.7. It is intended to be an open source alternative to proprietary software like Microsoft Expression Web and Adobe Dreamweaver. As a WYSIWYG editor, it is designed to be easy for novice users, and does not require any knowledge of HTML or CSS to use. It runs on Mac OS X, Windows and Linux.
          https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvu

Adding a column is not the default way to add data to a table. Nnormally one adds data to the bottom on the table by making a new row.
          It looks like you select a column and then try to insert it as a row.

Top copy a column, the destination must be the same. a column.

Nvu Tutorial 3: How to Create Data Tables

madhwan

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2015, 11:57:47 PM »
            i start copying from the top and drag it to the bottom, but when i paste them in table B,and even after selecting the same rows for pasting, everything gets pasted in one cell.

i have already attached the files for this.   

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
            • Geek After Dark
              • Gekk9pm bnlog
            « Reply #13 on: December 09, 2015, 11:35:29 AM »
            The link I gave above, Mvu tutorial # 3, should have the information you need. Also,  Nvu tutorial #5 might help.
            http://www.thesitewizard.com/gettingstarted/nvu5.shtml

At this point I will let somebody else give a better answer. The things I found in a Google search seem to indicate that it has to be done with some kind of script. Like Vbscript or Javascript.

soybean

Genius
            « Reply #14 on: December 09, 2015, 02:39:28 PM »
            Unanswered questions:
            Again, exactly how are you copying from one page to the other?  Are you copying between "What You See Is What You Get" (WYSIWYG) screens, or are you copying between panels showing the actual HTML code? 

In other words, I believe you  have two or more views in NVU.  You can view the page as it would look in a web browser, or you can view the HTML code.  Which view are you using when you copy? 

Do you have any understanding of the underlying HTML code in your pages?

madhwan

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2015, 11:06:23 AM »
              please help me in this with the help of programming if someone expertise the same i.e javascript or any other language

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
              • Geek After Dark
                • Gekk9pm bnlog
              « Reply #16 on: December 10, 2015, 08:00:04 PM »
              You need to answer the question.
              Are you doing direct editing of the HTML?
              OR
              Are you doing  editing of the visual page?

The visual page is call WYSIWYG

I assume you are using WYSIWYG and do not understand how to specify a new column target area to place the clipboard contents.

Using a scrip is only needed for a huge job that has dynamic usage.

madhwan

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2015, 01:07:53 AM »
                dear i am gonna attach text file for the same.  could not find the javascript or your could say could not understand where to put the same.   if you know about it pls help....

attaching page1 and page3 in text form. may be it would clarify more.  save it as html file and see what i am trying to do.  trying to copy data from table in page1 to table in page3

madhwan

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2015, 08:10:20 PM »
                  hello experts,

what happened....????

need you help guys...........

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
                  • Geek After Dark
                    • Gekk9pm bnlog
                  « Reply #19 on: December 12, 2015, 08:50:07 PM »
                  Your HTML code does not indicate why or how you would want to combine these two tables.
                  Yes, HTML can create tables. But it is not a data base manager. It does not somehow know which objects belong  together.

Please try to explain in plain English what you need to do.
                  Are these tables used to store numbers?
                  Or a bunch of important words?
                  Is it part of a spreadsheet?
                  Is it a photo album?
                  Is it a list of poems?
                  Os it a list of important dates in history?

In any case, understand the purpose of the table is critical to making major changes to anything other that just color and size.

If you have two disparate tables, but with a set of objects common to both, merge or join of  the tables is more of a data base manager program, not a lot of HTML code.

Please explain why you need to do this?
                  Why not just start over and make a new table that has everything?

madhwan

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2015, 03:10:02 AM »
                    hello friends,

these are the web pages only.   i prepared the pages by insterting the values in the table in page1 by using editor ealier. i made thousands of pages.   now what happened, my college needs table to be more presentable, so they provided me set standard for the table.  now i created the pages again with new table style.  required data is the same.   so one way is to insert all the data one by one in new html pages by myself, or i could find a way out to copy all the data from table in page1 format to new page say page3 .

otherwise i will have to insert data manually using editor in each page.......

camerongray

Expert
                      • Yes
                      • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
                    « Reply #21 on: December 13, 2015, 05:47:32 AM »
                    If I'm honest, I think most of the issues here stem from the fact you are using extremely outdated editors that haven't been developed since 2005, in the past 10 years web standards have changed hugely and nowadays WYSIWYG type desktop editors are totally out of fashion.  I'd strongly recommend just sitting down and learning raw HTML, it won't take long (probably not much longer than you've spend trying to get this to work) to get reasonably competent with it.  I imagine the issue could be solved very quickly by simply editing the actual HTML code.