Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Optimizing Windows 10  (Read 9201 times)

Wefro_froyas

Topic Starter

Hopeful

Optimizing Windows 10
    « on: December 05, 2015, 01:48:39 PM »
    So I'll be installing Windows 10 on my new machine which I plan to use for some gaming/every day use and wanna optimize it too use as little resources as possible (especially when gaming). Are there any tweaks or programs I should know about that will help make my Windows 10 experience better and free up some of my hardware resources such as cpu/ran usage?

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Optimizing Windows 10
    « Reply #1 on: December 05, 2015, 02:01:58 PM »
    I suggest you just run the system as is.

camerongray

Expert
      • Yes
      • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: December 05, 2015, 03:20:12 PM »
    Microsoft know what they are doing and employ some of the best engineers in the world.  They know how Windows will work best and will design it as such.  It's silly to expect the people making "tune up" type software to know better than the people who built the OS in the first place.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2015, 03:03:04 AM »
    Windows 10 is said by many reviewers to be less resource-hungry than previous Windows versions. I am running it on 2 machines - a brand new desktop with a 3.6 GHz i7 4790 cpu and 16 GB of RAM, and also a 2009 Dell laptop with a 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo cpu and 2 GB of RAM. Both systems boot in about the same length of time and they both run smoothly with no noticeable issues. Like the other people have said, steer clear of "optimizers", and in fact, leave the optimizing up to Microsoft.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2015, 05:38:34 AM »
    When I installed Windows 10 insider build on my nearly 6 year old Dell D830 laptop, it was a fresh install (it had XP previously) onto the original slow 80 GB spinning hard drive, and the first thing I noticed was how much quicker the boot was with Windows 10 compared to XP. I have now put an SSD in there and it boots in approx 15 seconds to the login screen. With no programs running Process Explorer shows 875,000 K free physical memory out of 2,086,876 and the desktop shows 13,000,000 K free out of 16,645,000 K with Firefox using 7 tabs.

DaveLembke

Sage
    « Reply #5 on: December 06, 2015, 05:55:02 AM »
    and the first thing I noticed was how much quicker the boot was with Windows 10 compared to XP.

I noticed this too with a Pentium 4 2.8Ghz HT and 1GB RAM running the 32-bit Windows 10 version.

I thought that it was because XP was so heavily patched at the end of its life that it became inefficient. A neat test would be to compare XP SP0 to Windows 10 SP0 and see. Windows 10 did boot faster to desktop on even this 2004 era Pentium 4 2.8Ghz HT system with 400Mhz DDR memory ( 2 x 512MB sticks ) and this system was running on a 80GB IDE 7200 rpm HDD.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #6 on: December 06, 2015, 10:57:30 AM »
    I thought that it was because XP was so heavily patched at the end of its life that it became inefficient.
    That isn't how patches work...
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    « Reply #7 on: December 06, 2015, 10:57:48 AM »
    I thought that it was because XP was so heavily patched at the end of its life that it became inefficient.
    There is no proof that was the case. Rather MS was tired of XP and wanted to dress their OS in a new outfit. More about profit tan fitness.

Wefro_froyas

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2015, 12:21:32 PM »
      Guys guys, I'm more curious about what features that are probably useless and will take up hardware resources that I can turn off. Such as graphical features in the GUI, for instance the glass effect in Windows 7 serves no purpose to me other than aestethics and even if it doesn't use much resources it's still a drain and pointless to keep on.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2015, 12:45:49 PM »
      Guys guys, I'm more curious about what features that are probably useless and will take up hardware resources that I can turn off. Such as graphical features in the GUI, for instance the glass effect in Windows 7
      Now this is something I have experience of - when I use Remote Desktop on my desktop, showing the laptop desktop, the laptop's DWM.exe (the Desktop Window Manager) can go up to 40-50% cpu. It's DWM.exe that does all the Aero things, window transparency, glass, etc. In Vista, and Windows 7, you could disable it and then you got the Basic theme. In Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 you cannot disable DWM.exe as far as I know. It's not optional any more.

Anyhow, I personally think your question is premature (you have not yet installed Windows 10) and also misguided - some people just have to tweak things that don't need tweaking - for example those little apps that claim to "free up" memory that didn't need freeing up in the first place. You can Google for "disable unnecessary services Windows 10" and find lists of things to try, but I don't believe you will see very much performance difference.

Allan

• Mastermind
      « Reply #10 on: December 06, 2015, 12:52:34 PM »
      We're trying to tell you there's no need to do any of that. Unless you purchased a severely under-powered system (ram, cpu), you won't notice any difference.

camerongray

Expert
        • Yes
      « Reply #11 on: December 06, 2015, 12:57:04 PM »
      Another point with disabling things like aero, with the exception of remote desktop, Aero is accelerated by your GPU therefore on any sort of reasonably recent system, it can actually perform better by having aero switched on and being rendered on the GPU rather than switching it off and relying on the CPU to render all the window effects.

As others have said, Windows 10 is incredibly efficient already, all you'll gain by disabling stuff is problems and the feeling that you somehow improved your PC by messing with it.  You appear to be way underestimating the power of reasonably modern computers, even the flashiest Windows effects use the tiniest percentage of the CPU to the extent that you'll almost never notice it.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #12 on: December 06, 2015, 01:26:19 PM »
      I must admit I used to be one of those goofballs who tried to eke out every single possible performance gain. But it only makes sense on underpowered systems.

When it comes to graphics features- including things like Windows 7's Aero Glass- If they are hardware accelerated, you typically won't see a performance improvement by disabling them. Sometimes you will even see a performance loss, this is particularly the case when it comes to desktop compositing, which as Camerongray notes, offloads a lot of the processing to the GPU, which would otherwise be mostly idle.

You can argue that some features "serves no purpose to me other than aestethics and even if it doesn't use much resources it's still a drain and pointless to keep on." but at some point you need to quantify it, which would mean actual testing. And I've yet to see any actual testing with any semi-modern system that shows any particular performance gain from disabling the sorts of features you mention.

I think the propensity and popularity of the idea of "secret tweaks" is due to the proliferation of the mindset of folks like the guy who talks about disabling services (BlackViper?). Instead of relying on real-world metrics and measurements, there is a reliance on perception- "it feels about twice as fast now" And that get's proliferated and cited as a "fact" elsewhere, leading others to try it, and because they were told it would be faster they delude themselves into "feeling" that it is faster.

The best example of this, I think, is the old "myth" that Windows XP had Superfetch and you could enable it with a registry tweak. Basically, you could add a specific key to the registry from Vista, and XP would magically upgrade it's "prefetch" feature to a full superfetch implementation. Despite the fact that this is complete nonsense, people ate it up- you can look around on forums from the time and find people swearing up and down that their system is made much faster by changing this registry key- a registry key which does absolutely nothing and isn't used by any component of Windows XP at all.

We can see, once again, the same story for the old "DirectX 10 on Windows XP"- look around on forums- including this one, and certain users swear up and down that after installing that special "DX10 on XP" patch, all their programs and games are running much faster. Look further on this forum and you might even find where I investigated the claim and found that the "DX10 on XP" were nothing more than a non-working wrapper that delegated DX10 calls to DX9, meaning that it was impossible for the change to improve performance since it didn't actually add any new mechanic.
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Allan

• Mastermind
      « Reply #13 on: December 06, 2015, 01:49:11 PM »
      I must admit I used to be one of those goofballs who tried to eke out every single possible performance gain. But it only makes sense on underpowered systems.

Ditto. Spent a LOT of time on Black Viper's site - so much so I became friendly with the owner :) :)

Salmon Trout

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2015, 02:12:00 PM »
      Me too. I think it's a guy thing - men buy products and then want to fiddle with them - cars, motorcycles, computers, phones, whatever. There are even people who flash custom ROM images on their smart TVs.

Wefro_froyas

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2015, 11:39:51 PM »
        Do you guys think my new build will have any trouble running multiple applications
        such as Firefox with 4-8 tabs, Skype, Music and A game like CS:GO or Fallout 4 at the same time?

CPU: Intel i5 4460
        GPU: R9 290
        RAM: 8 GB
        MOBO: MSI H81M-P33
        PSU: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze

camerongray

Expert
          • Yes
        « Reply #16 on: December 07, 2015, 02:04:01 AM »
        It will handle that fine.

Wefro_froyas

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2015, 01:33:05 PM »
          Thanks again one last thing, I haven't touched computers in a long as in putting them together. Will I be able to install the parts at the same time and be able to boot up right away? I know the i5-4460 has an onboard gpu, so I'm not sure about the procedure for installing all my parts like my graphics card.