Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Youtube Audio ---- Noticed a weakening -- Normalization?  (Read 2644 times)

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Youtube Audio ---- Noticed a weakening -- Normalization?
« on: December 28, 2015, 07:39:38 PM »
Nothing more frustrating than wanting to crank youtube audio and only squeezing about 60% max volume out of it. Seems as though Youtube might be normalizing the audio.

http://productionadvice.co.uk/youtube-loudness-normalisation-details/

Anyone know of any software, browser addon, or other means that can act as an amp / waveform booster to get the 40% back that they throttled the max volume down by without having to buy a higher output sound system. My sound system was just fine until over the last few months it seems like the volume is set to the max and you can clearly see its throttled from max volume output pretty badly.

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
Re: Youtube Audio ---- Noticed a weakening -- Normalization?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 05:30:23 PM »
Nobody else answered, so I will give it a try.
First of all, that should not happen. It is digital audio and has an absolute reference. Or it should be.

Can you confirm it is only You Tube that does this?

Some sound cards have the option of automatic level control. You should see that somewhere in the documentation.
This might help:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-pictures/automatic-volume-leveling-during-audio-playback/f9656c4a-b5e7-4cff-b029-7577f0efa549?auth=1
This is really annoying:
Quiet sound is amplified to sound at a reasonable level. Then when a loud part of the song comes on the level automatically drops making the quiet parts sound annoyingly loud & the loud part annoyingly quiet... Sorry that's the best way I can describe this... again:
He had the opposite problem!  ;D

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2016, 06:20:56 AM »
Interesting I will have to check into that... thanks geek. In the meantime I have my system connected to my Roland guitar amp aux in jack which gives me plenty of volume when I want it vs the $12 logitech speakers which otherwise work fine when playing a CD or MP3 and the volume level can go to 100% vs capped around 60 or 70%. I will have to go to other sites that have music to see if they cap at 60-70% as well.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2016, 09:02:35 AM »
For general reference:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_compression
Much of the research on Audio Compression was done on analog audio.