Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: M$ .NET framework (un)install failure  (Read 12611 times)

Superhuman

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    M$ .NET framework (un)install failure
    « on: January 28, 2016, 06:24:40 AM »
    Trying to install a new Bluetooth adapter, and needing to update the .NET framework, I ended up uninstalling it and reinstalling it (long story-- I wasn't trusting my old CD drive, and started again with the new one).  But then when I reinstalled off a M$ download instead of the install CD, the install failed.  Then also trying to uninstall it failed.  Now I cannot get the update reinstalled (V2.0 SP1).  I'm not entirely sure if the old version (V2.0) is still properly installed, but Speccy does show the old version is what's currently installed, so maybe.

Is there a way to uninstall whatever partial/corrupt/improper .NET framework is on there now and start over with a clean SP1 update installation?  I'm guessing it now would have to be some kind of manual uninstall.  Or, barring that, is it at all likely that updating to XP SP3 would include the .NET framework and fix this issue?
    “The Earth does not belong to us, we belong to the Earth. Man did not weave the web of life, he is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself.”

Attributed to “Chief Seattle” (Noah Sealth 1786-1866)

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: M$ .NET framework (un)install failure
    « Reply #1 on: January 28, 2016, 09:27:12 AM »
    SP3 update should fix your issue unless your system is corrupted so bad that it wont take it. You will need XP SP2 installed first before going to SP3.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: January 28, 2016, 09:55:38 AM »
    Just so you know...the .NET frameworks are basically standalone....they are not cumulative like updates are...

With the exception of 2 and 2.1 i believe if memory serves me...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Superhuman

Topic Starter

Rookie
      « Reply #3 on: January 29, 2016, 03:44:27 PM »
      Just so you know...the .NET frameworks are basically standalone....they are not cumulative like updates are...

With the exception of 2 and 2.1 i believe if memory serves me...

So if I understand correctly, this means you'd have to do each update from what's last installed to what version you want it updated to.  Which, in this case, is the very next update anyway (from 2.0 to 2.0 SP1), unless there is something wrong with my current 2.0 installation.

Since it sounds like .NET framework is included with XP SP3, is the SP3 update going to update properly (to whichever version it includes), from whichever version is already installed?  Even if there is a problem with or lack of an already installed version?
      “The Earth does not belong to us, we belong to the Earth. Man did not weave the web of life, he is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself.”

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #4 on: January 29, 2016, 06:57:25 PM »
      No, Windows XP does NOT include any .NET versions.
      This link should provide you what you need.
      http://filehippo.com/download_dotnet_framework_4/

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #5 on: January 29, 2016, 07:32:32 PM »
      No, Windows XP does NOT include any .NET versions.
      This link should provide you what you need.
      http://filehippo.com/download_dotnet_framework_4/
      The Service packs do contain versions of .Net...
      Why he would be running XP without it being updated to at least SP3 is beyond me however...

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #6 on: January 29, 2016, 09:17:09 PM »
      The OP needs to install Windows XP SP-3 and after that install .NET framework 3.5 or 4.1 or else any programs that require recent versions of .NET framework  will not run correctly or crash.

Also, the OP should not confuse SP-3 of XP with the SP-3 of Framework. Not the same at all. In any case, newer version of .NET framework do not work on Windows XP.

Superhuman

Topic Starter

Rookie
        « Reply #7 on: January 30, 2016, 12:50:15 AM »
        Quote from: Superhuman
        Since it sounds like .NET framework is included with XP SP3, is the SP3 update going to update properly (to whichever version it includes), from whichever version is already installed?  Even if there is a problem with or lack of an already installed version?

Sorry for the confusion.  I stated those questions ambiguously-- I should've said ".NET framework" in front of every occurrence of "version" above.

The Service packs do contain versions of .Net...
        Why he would be running XP without it being updated to at least SP3 is beyond me however...

When looking at the M$ site, I thought it looked like the service pack updates didn't include .NET, as that appeared to be separate updates.  But hopefully that'll make installation easier that they do.

I never updated to XP SP3 (wasn't confusing that with .NET SP versions) because I was concerned my system would run slower, and it's already rather slow too often.  (Of course, if I'd get around to doing an HDD defrag that might not be so much the case.)  But, what do you mean "at least" SP3, as I'm not aware there are any further SP updates available for XP after SP3?  (Like a newer Win version?)

Superhuman

Topic Starter

Rookie
          « Reply #8 on: January 30, 2016, 01:01:33 AM »
          The OP needs to install Windows XP SP-3 and after that install .NET framework 3.5 or 4.1 or else any programs that require recent versions of .NET framework  will not run correctly or crash.

Also, the OP should not confuse SP-3 of XP with the SP-3 of Framework. Not the same at all. In any case, newer version of .NET framework do not work on Windows XP.

What software I'm currently running (or trying to) would be okay with .NET framework 2.0 SP1.  I presume the XP SP3 update would have something newer than that, but not as new as 3.5.  I wonder if there's a risk of installing too new of a .NET version for some software I'm using.  As for a newer version of .NET not working on XP, you mean newer than 3.5 to 4.1?

That leaves my previously unclearly asked question; if the XP SP3 update will be able to handle updating .NET to whatever newer .NET version it has despite whichever older/partial/corrupt .NET that might be currently installed?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
          • Geek After Dark
            • Gekk9pm bnlog
          « Reply #9 on: January 30, 2016, 01:16:54 AM »
          At this point in time, anybody wanting to use Windows XP should get a full Windows XP sp-3 CD and install it. Then it will get the updates that come after SP-3. There is no official SP-4. Rather, you must install a XP sp-3 from scratch and then  wait for the updates to come.
          Once you have a full install of XP sp-3 with updates, you should make a image backup that can be used later to restore the y system in case of failure.

The SP-3 is needed because  some issues had to be fixed. One was how it does XML. Another was about network security and protocols. If you want to use it on the internet, you must have the protocols ans security of SP-3 and the updates. The full list of things fixed is rather long and you don't want to read them. Just believe they were needed.

Most older computers can work well with Windows 7. At some point in the future Windows XP with be left out and it will not work for you. There is some work now about making the HTTPS much more secure. If they do, old XP will not do a secure connection. Your XP will not be able to log in to anything. ( I will post more on this in the NEWS section.)

BTW, one can now buy a certified reconditioned PC with Windows 7 installed with product key for less than the price of the retail version of Windows 7. So there is little resewn to stick with XP on an old computer. Unless it is part of a museum display.

And yes, I still use XP, but it st is a personal thing. I am too slow running windows 7 or 10. Not the computer, I am too slow. Can't remember where things are in Windows 7, yet someday I will have to quit using XP and join the rest of the world.  :'(
          « Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 01:27:35 AM by Geek-9pm »

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
          • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          « Reply #10 on: January 30, 2016, 01:48:46 PM »
          What software I'm currently running (or trying to) would be okay with .NET framework 2.0 SP1.  I presume the XP SP3 update would have something newer than that, but not as new as 3.5.  I wonder if there's a risk of installing too new of a .NET version for some software I'm using.  As for a newer version of .NET not working on XP, you mean newer than 3.5 to 4.1?

That leaves my previously unclearly asked question; if the XP SP3 update will be able to handle updating .NET to whatever newer .NET version it has despite whichever older/partial/corrupt .NET that might be currently installed?

Programs written against Framework 2.0 should run on Framework 3.5. Framework 3.5 is a "superset" of 2.0. Windows XP does not include any .NET Version preinstalled in any version. Windows update might install updates to existing installed versions, but it will not install new versions- for example, it would not update an installed version of Framework 3.5 to 4.0, but it might update it to Framework 3.5 SP1.

Programs written against Framework 1.0 can be run with Framework 1.0 or 1.1 installed.

Programs written against Framework 1.1 can be run with Framework 1.1 installed.

Programs written against Framework 2.0 can be run with Framework 2.0, Framework 3.0, or Framework 3.5 installed.

Programs written against Framework 3.0 can be run with Framework 3.0 or Framework 3.5 installed.

Programs written against Framework 3.5 can be run with Framework 3.5 installed.

Programs written against Framework 4.0 can be run with Framework 4.0, 4.5, or 4.6 installed.

Programs written against Framework 4.5 can be run with Framework 4.5 or 4.6 installed.

Programs written against Framework 4.6 can be run with Framework 4.6 installed.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
          • Geek After Dark
            • Gekk9pm bnlog
          « Reply #11 on: January 30, 2016, 04:35:41 PM »
          BC_Programmer,
          Thanks for the clarification.

Superhuman

Topic Starter

Rookie
            « Reply #12 on: January 31, 2016, 01:21:11 PM »
            At this point in time, anybody wanting to use Windows XP should get a full Windows XP sp-3 CD and install it. Then it will get the updates that come after SP-3. There is no official SP-4. Rather, you must install a XP sp-3 from scratch and then  wait for the updates to come.
            Once you have a full install of XP sp-3 with updates, you should make a image backup that can be used later to restore the y system in case of failure.

If you want to use it on the internet, you must have the protocols ans security of SP-3 and the updates. The full list of things fixed is rather long and you don't want to read them. Just believe they were needed.

Most older computers can work well with Windows 7. At some point in the future Windows XP with be left out and it will not work for you. There is some work now about making the HTTPS much more secure. If they do, old XP will not do a secure connection. Your XP will not be able to log in to anything. ( I will post more on this in the NEWS section.)

BTW, one can now buy a certified reconditioned PC with Windows 7 installed with product key for less than the price of the retail version of Windows 7. So there is little resewn to stick with XP on an old computer. Unless it is part of a museum display.

And yes, I still use XP, but it st is a personal thing. I am too slow running windows 7 or 10. Not the computer, I am too slow. Can't remember where things are in Windows 7, yet someday I will have to quit using XP and join the rest of the world.  :'(

I was going to use the Win Update which has SP3, and if I read it right I believe that (and the manual d/l) has the advantage of not needing the product key, whereas the CD may require it.  But you won't get subsequent updates if installing SP3 from any other source than the CD?  Where do you get a Win XP SP3 CD, an ISO somewhere?

Yeah, an image backup is the real trick.  That's what I've been wanting to do from the start, but have had to settle for lesser quality or inconvenient backups.  Other than just simple user file backups, or using NT Backup, I was going to start using DAR instead.  Seems a capable good program, but not image/clone level, and has a significant learning curve to use.  I had found many free cloning programs.  But they all ended up either from a malware prone site, or there was Clonezilla-- which ended up no good to use, for me.  I'm not sure UBCD had any others that were promising.  The only other live Linux CD that yet works on my system is the not-the-most-capable Legacy OS (Puppy Linux), which ironically has a few cloning programs.  That may be the only real option and the best option for cloning software, actually.

I had already looked over the updated functionality of XP SP3.  It sounds advisable to install it.  I just hope it's not too much more taxing on system resources.

My system doesn't meet the system requirements for Win 7.  I didn't see anything about HTTPS being made much more secure in the news section.  I've heard other info about Win XP being obsolete & unusable too.  I've actually been meaning to install and migrate over to a Linux platform from the start, with this system.  I never cared much for Windoze, obsolete or not.  The problem is I haven't found much for a capable/modern live Linux flavor that actually can successfully boot.  The only full OS that has worked so far is Legacy/Puppy, which can't support my USB 2.0 adapter nor anything for WAN but ethernet, which isn't available for me.  I've also tried Slax and Vector, unsuccessfully.  But UBCD also works and is based on Debian.  I'm going to check if there's a quick fix for Vector, otherwise definitely next trying Debian.

As for the refurbed Win 7 system, I'm not really into desktops as I need something more portable.   There's similarly cheap mini-computers, that would be portable to move around at least, though not while using :).  (http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=ASUS+Mini+PC+VM42-S075V&N=100006550&isNodeId=1)  I'm planning on getting an affordable netbook, which would probably only cost significantly less than $100 more than just replacing the LCD & battery in this laptop.  It would be running Win 8 or newer, plus good OS(es) I'd install.

It doesn't seem like newer Win versions are too fundamentally different to use to me :P.  I was recently able to help someone find and adjust the settings to get their Wi-Fi working on a laptop probably running Win 8 or newer, even though I haven't used anything newer than XP.

Superhuman

Topic Starter

Rookie
              « Reply #13 on: January 31, 2016, 03:35:50 PM »
              Programs written against Framework 2.0 should run on Framework 3.5. Framework 3.5 is a "superset" of 2.0. Windows XP does not include any .NET Version preinstalled in any version. Windows update might install updates to existing installed versions, but it will not install new versions- for example, it would not update an installed version of Framework 3.5 to 4.0, but it might update it to Framework 3.5 SP1.

Thanks for the info!  Okay, I'll not install later than Framework 3.5 then.  That is, if I'm going to be able to do an update on it at all, again.  So not XP SP3, but maybe if I'm lucky, the Win Update will be able to handle doing the SP update on Framework 2.0, and fix the install/uninstall failure hopefully.  Otherwise, I have no idea how to fix it, unless a 3.x version would be able to install when 2.x cannot.

At one point Speccy was showing there was no .NET Framework installed.  I did notice, however, since the system was apparently reverted back to Framework 2.0 (despite a failed uninstall of Framework 2.0 SP1, following a failed install of Framework 2.0 SP1 ::)), there have not been any errors or problems with anything, beyond what's usually already the case.  Perhaps it was indeed reverted to Framework 2.0.  Perhaps I should try the Framework 2.0 SP1 install again?? ;)
              « Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 04:03:41 PM by Superhuman »

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
              • Geek After Dark
                • Gekk9pm bnlog
              « Reply #14 on: January 31, 2016, 04:12:15 PM »
              About Windows XP SP-3 on CD or ISO.
              If you can find it, you want Windows XP three on a CD [ or ISO ] from one of the original equipment manufacturers. I do not recommend doing a download of Windows XP. Here is why. For one this forum has a policy against people making downloads that are likely a violation of copyright laws. I respect that. Also, a download from a questionable source will likely have some types of mall where or spyware in closed. So it's best to stay away from sites that claim they will offer you a free copy of Windows XP SP -3.

In my opinion, buying a copy or downloading a copy of Windows XP to maintain an old computer is just a waste of energy. Old computers have very little value, unless it's for Museum. The exceptions would be very high and models that might be worth preserving.
              However, there is one situation that would appear to justify maintaining a system with Windows XP. That would be the case where a certain piece of software works best with Windows XP or is not available for use on newer operating systems. If that is the case, one could just go out and buy a mold computer that has XP already installed on it and use that refurbished PC for the job. Most of the refurbished personal computers out there are from manufacturers like Dell, HP, and Gateway. Such computers will continue to have replacement parts available for a long time because there are so many of these sold to business users and these were traded in for new computers.

Now if for some reason you really, really need a legitimate copy of Windows XP SP-3 on a CD, be prepared to pay up to $300 for just one CD with the original materials and the product key. In my opinion you have to be a fanatic to want that. But then, each person might have his own reason for wanting to keep using XP forever.
              Someone might think that I should mention using torrent sites to download copyrighted software. Well I am not going to do that, but it's very easy to find such. All you have to do is keep doing searches on the keywords download and Microsoft XP and eventually you'll find some site somewhere that offers the complete version as a download that can be made into a ISO file.
              But if you do that, you're taking a big risk. And I don't mean illegal issue, I mean the issue about getting stuff on your computer that you would not believe.

Microphone off .  :)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                • Yes
                • Yes
                • BC-Programming.com
              « Reply #15 on: January 31, 2016, 05:47:48 PM »
              If you can find it, you want Windows XP three on a CD [ or ISO ] from one of the original equipment manufacturers. I do not recommend doing a download of Windows XP. Here is why. For one this forum has a policy against people making downloads that are likely a violation of copyright laws. I respect that. Also, a download from a questionable source will likely have some types of mall where or spyware in closed. So it's best to stay away from sites that claim they will offer you a free copy of Windows XP SP -3.
              Service Pack 3 is free. It can be downloaded directly from Microsoft, and installed on any XP system. having SP3 slipstreamed on the disc isn't really necessary.

In my opinion, buying a copy or downloading a copy of Windows XP to maintain an old computer is just a waste of energy. Old computers have very little value, unless it's for Museum. The exceptions would be very high and models that might be worth preserving.
              IMO, The value of a PC is in it's utility to the user, not in the reselling price tag. A lot of that value for the typical user is in the capability to browse the Internet and run productivity applications, a capability which can be reasonably well served with Windows XP on a 10-year old system. The fact that that 10-year old system might fetch 20 bucks if they wanted to sell it on eBay doesn't matter.

Now if for some reason you really, really need a legitimate copy of Windows XP SP-3 on a CD, be prepared to pay up to $300 for just one CD with the original materials and the product key. In my opinion you have to be a fanatic to want that. But then, each person might have his own reason for wanting to keep using XP forever.

Using a Windows XP ISO that includes SP2 as the base, it is possible to create a Windows XP ISO that contains SP3 by slipstreaming, as documented here.

Superhuman

Topic Starter

Rookie
                « Reply #16 on: February 17, 2016, 03:51:07 AM »
                However, there is one situation that would appear to justify maintaining a system with Windows XP. That would be the case where a certain piece of software works best with Windows XP or is not available for use on newer operating systems. If that is the case, one could just go out and buy a mold computer that has XP already installed on it and use that refurbished PC for the job.

XP on my system only requires an update to SP3-- there's no need to worry about acquiring a full XP CD, nevermind risking downloading it and all that, or buying a whole other used computer!  To think that a computer must be fully modern and up to date to have much value is short sighted.  Even with just Win XP, an older system can do lots; surf the web, burning CDs, games, transferring files from mobile devices, playing video, audio processing, etc.  And that's just lousy Win.  To measure a PC's worth solely by the Win version it can use is a gargantuan oversight.  If installing higher quality OSes the value goes even higher.  Some are designed to be particularly fast and efficient on older hardware, if one is especially concerned with performance, like Legacy OS.  Otherwise, other Linux flavors are modern and up to date, unlike XP.  There's further OSes like AROS, as well.

Most of the refurbished personal computers out there are from manufacturers like Dell, HP, and Gateway. Such computers will continue to have replacement parts available for a long time because there are so many of these sold to business users and these were traded in for new computers.

Don't I know it.  A month ago I ordered a replacement CD burner from Dell.   ;)

Someone might think that I should mention using torrent sites to download copyrighted software. Well I am not going to do that, but it's very easy to find such. All you have to do is keep doing searches on the keywords download and Microsoft XP and eventually you'll find some site somewhere that offers the complete version as a download that can be made into a ISO file.

Firstly, I wouldn't pay 1% of that for an XP CD.  I'm seeing a lot of contradictions.  You give a lot of anti-XP sentiment for someone who uses XP all the time.  And "I'm not going to mention X, Y, & Z, but here is how to do it anyway."   LOL  ;D

IMO, The value of a PC is in it's utility to the user, not in the reselling price tag. A lot of that value for the typical user is in the capability to browse the Internet and run productivity applications, a capability which can be reasonably well served with Windows XP on a 10-year old system. The fact that that 10-year old system might fetch 20 bucks if they wanted to sell it on eBay doesn't matter.

Well put.
                « Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 04:01:20 AM by Superhuman »

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
                • Geek After Dark
                  • Gekk9pm bnlog
                « Reply #17 on: February 17, 2016, 12:23:40 PM »
                IMO, The value of a PC is in it's utility to the user, not in the reselling price tag. A lot of that value for the typical user is in the capability to browse the Internet and run productivity applications
                No question there.

My intention was to say the someday soon any older PC will not be able to get on the internet, or any kind of communication system, unless it has a new OS.  When that will happen is uncertain.

And yes, I still use XP a lot. It is just too hard for me to change. Presently I am more productive with XP. It is not that I love it, but it is what I know well. If I could, I would still be using Windows 2000.

patio

• Genius
                • Maud' Dib
                  • Yes
                « Reply #18 on: February 17, 2016, 03:39:21 PM »
                I'm gonna call you on that Geek...and you need to think thru what you post...

My intention was to say the someday soon any older PC will not be able to get on the internet, or any kind of communication system, unless it has a new OS.  When that will happen is uncertain.

Where is the basis in logic of that broad statement ? ? Are ISP's all of a sudden stop servicing older PC's ? ?...are modems all of a sudden gonna stop functioning cause you are running XP ?
                Please explain this dire prediction...

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
                • Geek After Dark
                  • Gekk9pm bnlog
                « Reply #19 on: February 17, 2016, 08:19:18 PM »
                I'm gonna call you on that Geek...and you need to think thru what you post...

Where is the basis in logic of that broad statement ? ? Are ISP's all of a sudden stop servicing older PC's ? ?...are modems all of a sudden gonna stop functioning cause you are running XP ?
                Please explain this dire prediction...

My prediction is premature.  :-[ 
                Basis:. Security standards are changing.
                Many users want to get Internet via wireless. In some places only wireless is the only choice. Windows XP had a serious flaw for wireless security. It was fixed with an update. Now in the future, there may be a new security standard taht most ISPs will use on wireless. The new standard will not be supported by XP if Microsoft does not want to do it.
                Yes, this is conjecture until it happens. Bear in mind, the older wireless standard was claimed to be very good. It was, until it wasn't.
                Really, I want to be wrong. I don't want to leave XP.  But I fear someday I will either leave XP  or have no effective security on my system.   :'(

Superhuman

Topic Starter

Rookie
                  networking on outdated systems
                  « Reply #20 on: February 18, 2016, 03:50:58 AM »

Believe it or not, I've seen this happen with sufficiently outdated systems.  It's not the modem or any local hardware, it's the ISP.  But, it's not deliberate, I don't think (though some are definitely worse than others, as they won't assist you adjusting your TCP/IP settings).  As the internet protocols are updated, there becomes a point eventually, that transfers just don't work anymore.  My Amiga system experienced this, where I could get a TCP/IP connection, but HTTP simply would not continue-- would constantly stall out, when that never used to happen.  I noticed that if I was using telnet simultaneously, it would somehow keep the web transfers going, and if I stopped telnet they'd stall out completely again.  All/most other internet protocols worked still, just not HTTP.

This is why I didn't say anything about Geek-9pm's claim.  However, there should always be a current Linux OS for old PCs... except maybe truly ancient ones.

Many users want to get Internet via wireless. In some places only wireless is the only choice. Windows XP had a serious flaw for wireless security. It was fixed with an update. Now in the future, there may be a new security standard taht most ISPs will use on wireless.

What "wireless" exactly are you referring to that ISPs support?  Is it via direct ISP <--> customer microwave link, via satellite, or just Wi-Fi you are talking about?  BTW, the Wi-Fi carrier signal is not actually coming from the provider, it's coming from your router.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
                  • Geek After Dark
                    • Gekk9pm bnlog
                  « Reply #21 on: February 18, 2016, 05:59:10 AM »
                  What "wireless" exactly are you referring to that ISPs support?  Is it via direct ISP <--> customer microwave link, via satellite, or just Wi-Fi you are talking about?  BTW, the Wi-Fi carrier signal is not actually coming from the provider, it's coming from your router.
                  Let me explain. Xfinity is one ISP that offers 'hot spots' in some cities. Likewise AT&T. In some locations thee is no reliable land line service, so there is no DSL. Therefore users in that predicament rely on either 4g, very  costly, or a 'hot spot' from an ISP.
                  Here in California Digital Path offers wireless Internet service to customers who can not get reliable service from other providers. Here whee I live, the DSL service is very bad because the local Telephone company  will not replace or repair the the old broken copper wires. So they stop having new DSL service in this area. Either you go cabele or go 4G or wireless. Or satellite.

Right now, I use 4G and a cell phone 'hot spot' to link my old XP into the Internet. Before that  I had to use my neighbor's wireless guest account. If a new level of security becomes  a requirement for wireless, I may have to quit XP and go to using Windows 7 or 10 for Internet.

My rant was about how XP someday might not be able to use a wireless connection and for some the wireless would be the reasonable choice. But if XP does not wokr, you would have to go Linux. The point I wanted to make is that someday XP will be useless for Internet for people who have limited resources and would not buy additional hardware to let XP make an secure Internet connection using wireless from a local ISP.
                  My conjecture is that some time in the future, Internet will be unavailable to users who wish to use older equipment for economic reasons. Like me.
                  That ISP companies are going to use more wireless for the 'last mile' is already a trend. Here is an article about three years old.
                  http://www.pcworld.com/article/2067283/meet-wisp-the-wireless-future-of-internet-service.html
                  Meet WISP, the wireless future of Internet service
                  Utah-based Vivint, a newcomer to the WISP market, is offering wireless Internet service at upload and download speeds of 50 mbps for just $55 per month. But the company—best known for its home-security/automation services—has only just begun to roll out its service, which is not widely available outside Utah.
                  You have to read the article to catch what it is. It really is ISP over a wireless link.  It is not the same as satellite or cell service. But a satellite company might use wireless to provide the link to your home. That reduces the equipment cost.
                  I hop this is clear.  :)
                  Back to topic. Keeping XP up to date with the .NET framework is a dead end. You can go just so far. In the future, even now, some software utilities need new versions of  .NET library. This includes some tools  used to install wireless adapter drivers and security protocols.  :'(
                  « Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 06:12:48 AM by Geek-9pm »

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                    • Yes
                    • Yes
                    • BC-Programming.com
                  « Reply #22 on: February 18, 2016, 06:39:25 AM »
                  Back to topic. Keeping XP up to date with the .NET framework is a dead end.
                  .NET Framework versions up through 4.0 are supported and can be installed on Windows XP. 4.5 and later cannot be installed on Windows XP (except perhaps with some sort of hacks I suppose). Note that, once again, .NET Framework versions are independent products. Installing .NET 3.5 isn't an "update" for .NET 1.1.
                  You can go just so far. In the future, even now, some software utilities need new versions of  .NET library. This includes some tools  used to install wireless adapter drivers and security protocols.  :'(
                  The only Driver-level type software I'm aware of that uses .NET would be AMD Catalyst, and that is separate from the core driver package. I've never heard of or seen any wireless adapter drivers or "security protocols" which require .NET versions at all, let alone 4.5 or later.

beanodino1

Beginner

• Experience: Familiar
                  « Reply #23 on: July 21, 2016, 10:44:45 PM »
                  My XP media ctr net framework issue is very similar from the start about adding 1.0, 1.1,2.0,3.0,& 3.5,but not sure how sp1, sp2, sp3 are fixed within with all these net framework 1.0 to 3.5 ? I know I have 1.1 net f.work installed in my program files,but at start up a amd cataylist prompt says I need to install 2.0 net f.work for the amd program to work properly? My PC device mgr. account says I have sp2 installed, by choice  I decided to install Microsoft sp3 final version which loaded, but seems I might need to install the other net f.work's for making it complete & working correctly ? I do have all 5 net f.work in file folders,but not sure if they can be used as my 1.1 & 3.5 are now (only) ? I believe if I can fix,repair or install these 5+ net f.work's I can go back to playing my few good shooter games & other OS functions too once again ? :That would be GREAT  :P