Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: M$ .NET framework (un)install failure  (Read 12664 times)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: M$ .NET framework (un)install failure
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2016, 05:47:48 PM »
If you can find it, you want Windows XP three on a CD [ or ISO ] from one of the original equipment manufacturers. I do not recommend doing a download of Windows XP. Here is why. For one this forum has a policy against people making downloads that are likely a violation of copyright laws. I respect that. Also, a download from a questionable source will likely have some types of mall where or spyware in closed. So it's best to stay away from sites that claim they will offer you a free copy of Windows XP SP -3.
Service Pack 3 is free. It can be downloaded directly from Microsoft, and installed on any XP system. having SP3 slipstreamed on the disc isn't really necessary.

In my opinion, buying a copy or downloading a copy of Windows XP to maintain an old computer is just a waste of energy. Old computers have very little value, unless it's for Museum. The exceptions would be very high and models that might be worth preserving.
IMO, The value of a PC is in it's utility to the user, not in the reselling price tag. A lot of that value for the typical user is in the capability to browse the Internet and run productivity applications, a capability which can be reasonably well served with Windows XP on a 10-year old system. The fact that that 10-year old system might fetch 20 bucks if they wanted to sell it on eBay doesn't matter.

Now if for some reason you really, really need a legitimate copy of Windows XP SP-3 on a CD, be prepared to pay up to $300 for just one CD with the original materials and the product key. In my opinion you have to be a fanatic to want that. But then, each person might have his own reason for wanting to keep using XP forever.

Using a Windows XP ISO that includes SP2 as the base, it is possible to create a Windows XP ISO that contains SP3 by slipstreaming, as documented here.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Superhuman

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #16 on: February 17, 2016, 03:51:07 AM »
    In my opinion, buying a copy or downloading a copy of Windows XP to maintain an old computer is just a waste of energy. Old computers have very little value, unless it's for Museum. The exceptions would be very high and models that might be worth preserving.
    However, there is one situation that would appear to justify maintaining a system with Windows XP. That would be the case where a certain piece of software works best with Windows XP or is not available for use on newer operating systems. If that is the case, one could just go out and buy a mold computer that has XP already installed on it and use that refurbished PC for the job.

XP on my system only requires an update to SP3-- there's no need to worry about acquiring a full XP CD, nevermind risking downloading it and all that, or buying a whole other used computer!  To think that a computer must be fully modern and up to date to have much value is short sighted.  Even with just Win XP, an older system can do lots; surf the web, burning CDs, games, transferring files from mobile devices, playing video, audio processing, etc.  And that's just lousy Win.  To measure a PC's worth solely by the Win version it can use is a gargantuan oversight.  If installing higher quality OSes the value goes even higher.  Some are designed to be particularly fast and efficient on older hardware, if one is especially concerned with performance, like Legacy OS.  Otherwise, other Linux flavors are modern and up to date, unlike XP.  There's further OSes like AROS, as well.

Most of the refurbished personal computers out there are from manufacturers like Dell, HP, and Gateway. Such computers will continue to have replacement parts available for a long time because there are so many of these sold to business users and these were traded in for new computers.

Don't I know it.  A month ago I ordered a replacement CD burner from Dell.   ;)

Now if for some reason you really, really need a legitimate copy of Windows XP SP-3 on a CD, be prepared to pay up to $300 for just one CD with the original materials and the product key. In my opinion you have to be a fanatic to want that. But then, each person might have his own reason for wanting to keep using XP forever.
    Someone might think that I should mention using torrent sites to download copyrighted software. Well I am not going to do that, but it's very easy to find such. All you have to do is keep doing searches on the keywords download and Microsoft XP and eventually you'll find some site somewhere that offers the complete version as a download that can be made into a ISO file.

Firstly, I wouldn't pay 1% of that for an XP CD.  I'm seeing a lot of contradictions.  You give a lot of anti-XP sentiment for someone who uses XP all the time.  And "I'm not going to mention X, Y, & Z, but here is how to do it anyway."   LOL  ;D

IMO, The value of a PC is in it's utility to the user, not in the reselling price tag. A lot of that value for the typical user is in the capability to browse the Internet and run productivity applications, a capability which can be reasonably well served with Windows XP on a 10-year old system. The fact that that 10-year old system might fetch 20 bucks if they wanted to sell it on eBay doesn't matter.

Well put.
    « Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 04:01:20 AM by Superhuman »
    “The Earth does not belong to us, we belong to the Earth. Man did not weave the web of life, he is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself.”

Attributed to “Chief Seattle” (Noah Sealth 1786-1866)

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #17 on: February 17, 2016, 12:23:40 PM »
    IMO, The value of a PC is in it's utility to the user, not in the reselling price tag. A lot of that value for the typical user is in the capability to browse the Internet and run productivity applications
    No question there.

My intention was to say the someday soon any older PC will not be able to get on the internet, or any kind of communication system, unless it has a new OS.  When that will happen is uncertain.

And yes, I still use XP a lot. It is just too hard for me to change. Presently I am more productive with XP. It is not that I love it, but it is what I know well. If I could, I would still be using Windows 2000.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #18 on: February 17, 2016, 03:39:21 PM »
    I'm gonna call you on that Geek...and you need to think thru what you post...

My intention was to say the someday soon any older PC will not be able to get on the internet, or any kind of communication system, unless it has a new OS.  When that will happen is uncertain.

Where is the basis in logic of that broad statement ? ? Are ISP's all of a sudden stop servicing older PC's ? ?...are modems all of a sudden gonna stop functioning cause you are running XP ?
    Please explain this dire prediction...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    « Reply #19 on: February 17, 2016, 08:19:18 PM »
    I'm gonna call you on that Geek...and you need to think thru what you post...

Where is the basis in logic of that broad statement ? ? Are ISP's all of a sudden stop servicing older PC's ? ?...are modems all of a sudden gonna stop functioning cause you are running XP ?
    Please explain this dire prediction...

My prediction is premature.  :-[ 
    Basis:. Security standards are changing.
    Many users want to get Internet via wireless. In some places only wireless is the only choice. Windows XP had a serious flaw for wireless security. It was fixed with an update. Now in the future, there may be a new security standard taht most ISPs will use on wireless. The new standard will not be supported by XP if Microsoft does not want to do it.
    Yes, this is conjecture until it happens. Bear in mind, the older wireless standard was claimed to be very good. It was, until it wasn't.
    Really, I want to be wrong. I don't want to leave XP.  But I fear someday I will either leave XP  or have no effective security on my system.   :'(

Superhuman

Topic Starter

Rookie
      • Experience: Experienced
      networking on outdated systems
      « Reply #20 on: February 18, 2016, 03:50:58 AM »

Believe it or not, I've seen this happen with sufficiently outdated systems.  It's not the modem or any local hardware, it's the ISP.  But, it's not deliberate, I don't think (though some are definitely worse than others, as they won't assist you adjusting your TCP/IP settings).  As the internet protocols are updated, there becomes a point eventually, that transfers just don't work anymore.  My Amiga system experienced this, where I could get a TCP/IP connection, but HTTP simply would not continue-- would constantly stall out, when that never used to happen.  I noticed that if I was using telnet simultaneously, it would somehow keep the web transfers going, and if I stopped telnet they'd stall out completely again.  All/most other internet protocols worked still, just not HTTP.

This is why I didn't say anything about Geek-9pm's claim.  However, there should always be a current Linux OS for old PCs... except maybe truly ancient ones.

Many users want to get Internet via wireless. In some places only wireless is the only choice. Windows XP had a serious flaw for wireless security. It was fixed with an update. Now in the future, there may be a new security standard taht most ISPs will use on wireless.

What "wireless" exactly are you referring to that ISPs support?  Is it via direct ISP <--> customer microwave link, via satellite, or just Wi-Fi you are talking about?  BTW, the Wi-Fi carrier signal is not actually coming from the provider, it's coming from your router.
      “The Earth does not belong to us, we belong to the Earth. Man did not weave the web of life, he is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself.”

Attributed to “Chief Seattle” (Noah Sealth 1786-1866)

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #21 on: February 18, 2016, 05:59:10 AM »
      What "wireless" exactly are you referring to that ISPs support?  Is it via direct ISP <--> customer microwave link, via satellite, or just Wi-Fi you are talking about?  BTW, the Wi-Fi carrier signal is not actually coming from the provider, it's coming from your router.
      Let me explain. Xfinity is one ISP that offers 'hot spots' in some cities. Likewise AT&T. In some locations thee is no reliable land line service, so there is no DSL. Therefore users in that predicament rely on either 4g, very  costly, or a 'hot spot' from an ISP.
      Here in California Digital Path offers wireless Internet service to customers who can not get reliable service from other providers. Here whee I live, the DSL service is very bad because the local Telephone company  will not replace or repair the the old broken copper wires. So they stop having new DSL service in this area. Either you go cabele or go 4G or wireless. Or satellite.

Right now, I use 4G and a cell phone 'hot spot' to link my old XP into the Internet. Before that  I had to use my neighbor's wireless guest account. If a new level of security becomes  a requirement for wireless, I may have to quit XP and go to using Windows 7 or 10 for Internet.

My rant was about how XP someday might not be able to use a wireless connection and for some the wireless would be the reasonable choice. But if XP does not wokr, you would have to go Linux. The point I wanted to make is that someday XP will be useless for Internet for people who have limited resources and would not buy additional hardware to let XP make an secure Internet connection using wireless from a local ISP.
      My conjecture is that some time in the future, Internet will be unavailable to users who wish to use older equipment for economic reasons. Like me.
      That ISP companies are going to use more wireless for the 'last mile' is already a trend. Here is an article about three years old.
      http://www.pcworld.com/article/2067283/meet-wisp-the-wireless-future-of-internet-service.html
      Meet WISP, the wireless future of Internet service
      Utah-based Vivint, a newcomer to the WISP market, is offering wireless Internet service at upload and download speeds of 50 mbps for just $55 per month. But the company—best known for its home-security/automation services—has only just begun to roll out its service, which is not widely available outside Utah.
      You have to read the article to catch what it is. It really is ISP over a wireless link.  It is not the same as satellite or cell service. But a satellite company might use wireless to provide the link to your home. That reduces the equipment cost.
      I hop this is clear.  :)
      Back to topic. Keeping XP up to date with the .NET framework is a dead end. You can go just so far. In the future, even now, some software utilities need new versions of  .NET library. This includes some tools  used to install wireless adapter drivers and security protocols.  :'(
      « Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 06:12:48 AM by Geek-9pm »

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      « Reply #22 on: February 18, 2016, 06:39:25 AM »
      Back to topic. Keeping XP up to date with the .NET framework is a dead end.
      .NET Framework versions up through 4.0 are supported and can be installed on Windows XP. 4.5 and later cannot be installed on Windows XP (except perhaps with some sort of hacks I suppose). Note that, once again, .NET Framework versions are independent products. Installing .NET 3.5 isn't an "update" for .NET 1.1.
      You can go just so far. In the future, even now, some software utilities need new versions of  .NET library. This includes some tools  used to install wireless adapter drivers and security protocols.  :'(
      The only Driver-level type software I'm aware of that uses .NET would be AMD Catalyst, and that is separate from the core driver package. I've never heard of or seen any wireless adapter drivers or "security protocols" which require .NET versions at all, let alone 4.5 or later.
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

beanodino1

Beginner

• Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #23 on: July 21, 2016, 10:44:45 PM »
      My XP media ctr net framework issue is very similar from the start about adding 1.0, 1.1,2.0,3.0,& 3.5,but not sure how sp1, sp2, sp3 are fixed within with all these net framework 1.0 to 3.5 ? I know I have 1.1 net f.work installed in my program files,but at start up a amd cataylist prompt says I need to install 2.0 net f.work for the amd program to work properly? My PC device mgr. account says I have sp2 installed, by choice  I decided to install Microsoft sp3 final version which loaded, but seems I might need to install the other net f.work's for making it complete & working correctly ? I do have all 5 net f.work in file folders,but not sure if they can be used as my 1.1 & 3.5 are now (only) ? I believe if I can fix,repair or install these 5+ net f.work's I can go back to playing my few good shooter games & other OS functions too once again ? :That would be GREAT  :P