Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Monitor does not turn on when plugged into GPU  (Read 3221 times)

sethsg312

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Monitor does not turn on when plugged into GPU
    « on: January 27, 2016, 06:14:51 PM »
    So I just upgraded from an AMD HD 7770 to an AMD r9 280x.  I put it into the PSI 3.0 Express slot on my desktop and then used a DVI to plug it into my monitor...and nothing.  I then tried plugging the monitor directly into the motherboard and it works fine.  I attempted to turn off the on-board graphics in the device manager but that did not work either; The GPU is not listing in the device manager.  I have re-seated the card multiple times to make sure that it is in securely.  It is plugged with a six-pin connector. 

I don't think it is a problem with the GPU itself as when I boot the computer the lights on the GPU turn on, its just that nothing comes up on the monitor.  The button stays orange and does not turn to blue at all.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Monitor does not turn on when plugged into GPU
    « Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 07:54:29 PM »
    Is this video card brand new that your working with or one you bought used? It might be a bad video card as for if the video card was good I would expect there to be an entry in the device manager. If it were a power supply issue I would think that the system wouldnt boot due to the additional power demands. One last thing to try is to install the driver with this card installed and see if that helps although Im pretty sure that if its not listed in device manager that its probably not going to work. You could check in your bios just to make sure nothing strange is set to only allow on board vs PCIE. I dont believe this to be the case because you had a video card in that slot prior and so this is probably not it but worth verifying. If all else fails you could always return the video card for a replacement if its a new card.

sethsg312

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2016, 03:07:18 PM »
      I tried installing the amd drivers and it did not work.  I think it probably is something with the PCIe itself b/c I tried re-installing my old card with the old drivers and it still did not work.  I went into the BIOS and changed "Init Display First" to PCIe.  This obviously wan't a good idea b/c the screen stopped working all together and I had to pull the battery out to reset the BIOS.

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: January 28, 2016, 03:18:29 PM »
      I agree it sounds like it may be a bad card. You wouldn't need to install drivers for the monitor to work. It might also be a bad dvi cable, by the way.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #4 on: January 28, 2016, 06:03:58 PM »
      If you've been muckin around in the BIOS i'd recommend a cold boot and select default BIOS settings...before you go blaming the hardware...just sayin.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

sethsg312

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2016, 06:41:16 PM »
        SOLVED: turns out the PCIe cable was faulty, I tried using one of the other ones and it works perfectly now.  Thanks for all the assistance!