Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Gaming computer build advice.  (Read 5459 times)

LudaCritz

Gaming computer build advice.
« on: February 17, 2016, 05:47:17 PM »
Hey peoples,

So this is my first time building my very own gaming computer, I've done a bit of research but I still don't feel confident enough to press the checkout button on Amazon. Now my budget is 1,000$ but, I don't really want to spend more than 750$ unless I have to, now the build I'm going to post is a little above that.
 I really just want to get some second opinions on whether or not it's a computer I won't have to upgrade for awhile and also whether or not you guys think there may be parts better for less or better for a little more. I don't really plan on playing the newest high end games right off the bat but again I don't want to have to upgrade for awhile.
 Anyway, here's the build I've found recommended by a guy on Youtube and I've done a few comparisons to other computers I thought were decent but I really need someone that knows more about this stuff to give me that advice.

CPU-Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor
http://amzn.to/1RL9Sub

RAM-G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
http://amzn.to/1KCvHEI

GPU-EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB SSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card
http://amzn.to/1TlK8nF

Motherboard-Gigabyte GA-H97M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1150
http://amzn.to/1RLeD7b

HDD-Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
http://amzn.to/1YOYAsY

PSU-SeaSonic S12II 520W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply
http://amzn.to/1OMXkyR

I've only got one shot to get the best bang for my buck. I also haven't added the price of the OS, Monitor or KBM. So any information there would be great to.

Thanks for taking your time to read this and offer advice.

Please e-mail me if you're interested in helping me with this.

camerongray

Expert
    • Yes
    • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Gaming computer build advice.
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 05:54:47 PM »
That looks like a decent build although I'd strongly recommend getting an SSD, prices have dropped considerably and it will dramatically improve performance of the system.

lostcoast

Hopeful
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 05:58:20 PM »
A one shot deal should include ram from the motherboards tested list so you are sure it boots

http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Memory/mb_memory_ga-h97m-d3h.pdf
I am  Moderator of Computerhope Chat, for live help and assistance please use/click Free Help in the upper forum toolbar.

LudaCritz

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 05:58:29 PM »
Can you recommend a certain one for a decent price?

LudaCritz

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2016, 05:59:24 PM »
A one shot deal should include ram from the motherboards tested list so you are sure it boots

http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Memory/mb_memory_ga-h97m-d3h.pdf

I don't understand what that means... Can you elaborate?

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2016, 06:26:34 AM »
All manuf. have what's called a QVL list for RAM...(qualified vendor list ).

This means that any RAM on that list has been physically tested in their labs with that specific MBoard / PC and is known to work properly...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

LudaCritz

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2016, 11:58:00 AM »
All manuf. have what's called a QVL list for RAM...(qualified vendor list ).

This means that any RAM on that list has been physically tested in their labs with that specific MBoard / PC and is known to work properly...

Sooo... You're saying that the ram I selected is not part of this "list"? If so can you recommend on that is that's relatively the same as it or better maybe cause two of these ram sticks is only 35 dollars right now, that's why I was going to buy it.

camerongray

Expert
    • Yes
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2016, 12:45:07 PM »
To be clear here - RAM not being on the list does not mean that it will not work, it almost certainly will - It just means that the motherboard manufacturer has never tested it.  I have never checked a QVL for RAM I'm buying and tend to shuffle sticks between various machines and I've never had a stick not work as long as the specifications match (which the RAM you are looking at does).  Personally I would just buy that RAM.

As far as SSDs go, it really depends on the price you are looking for - The Crucial MX200 and Samsung 850 Evo are good value but still decent drives.

LudaCritz

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2016, 01:07:09 PM »
To be clear here - RAM not being on the list does not mean that it will not work, it almost certainly will - It just means that the motherboard manufacturer has never tested it.  I have never checked a QVL for RAM I'm buying and tend to shuffle sticks between various machines and I've never had a stick not work as long as the specifications match (which the RAM you are looking at does).  Personally I would just buy that RAM.

As far as SSDs go, it really depends on the price you are looking for - The Crucial MX200 and Samsung 850 Evo are good value but still decent drives.

I really would like to buy an SSD card but I'm worried about going over budget, I'm already looking at 750-800$ for this build alone and that's not including the OS and the Keyboard/Mouse.

What would you think if I didn't buy a hard drive and used the money to buy a 500GB SSD? Does a computer NEED a hard drive to work or does the SSD work the same as a hard drive?

Also do you know of a card relatively the same as the one I have for a bit less. If I can cut the price down on the card but not sacrifice to much gaming performance than that'll help drop the dollar amount down a bit.

I just checked my build adding the 500GB SSD and removing the hard drive and I'm sitting at 891$, the card alone is 334$ so if I can cut that down a little bit with a deal that you may know about that would be ideal cause again, I still have to buy the OS, I can get a cheap mouse and keyboard from Wal-Mart if I have to.

camerongray

Expert
    • Yes
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2016, 01:27:33 PM »
It really depends what you are planning on doing and the various prices, you could for example get a 250gb SSD and then use your hard drive to store large things or stuff you don't access regularly.  An SSD won't for example provide a huge benefit for storing large video files or music, they are fine on a hard drive.

You could always get the SSD now and then add a hard drive later on if you need it and can afford it.

LudaCritz

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2016, 01:31:17 PM »
It really depends what you are planning on doing and the various prices, you could for example get a 250gb SSD and then use your hard drive to store large things or stuff you don't access regularly.  An SSD won't for example provide a huge benefit for storing large video files or music, they are fine on a hard drive.

You could always get the SSD now and then add a hard drive later on if you need it and can afford it.

Well the only thing I use a computer for is gaming, I download a movie from time to time but other than that I don't download anything but game torrents.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 01:52:31 PM by LudaCritz »

LudaCritz

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2016, 02:27:58 PM »
Well so much for going on a budget, this is the final list of what I just purchased on Amazon and it turned out to be 1,100$ roughly.

CPU-Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor

RAM-G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

GPU-EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB SSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card

Motherboard-Gigabyte GA-H97M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1150

HDD-Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB

Xigmatek Soundwave ATX Mid Tower Computer Case, Black Steel EN6725

PSU-SeaSonic S12II 520W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply

Xigmatek Soundwave ATX Mid Tower Computer Case, Black Steel EN6725

Delicol Foldable Flexible Waterproof Keyboard (Black, USB 2.0, Compatible to Windows 7)

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit

Hope I didn't screw myself over buying this. Wish me luck guys.

camerongray

Expert
    • Yes
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2016, 03:17:33 PM »
The machine looks decent but you are going to regret that keyboard - Those roll up things are absolutely horrible to type on unless you like typing on a sponge (you may be able to remove it from your Amazon order if you are quick enough).

If you're looking for a cheap, no-frills keyboard that is reasonably good to type on - The Dell KB1421 is surprisingly good: http://www.amazon.com/Dell-SK-8175-KB1421-L30U-Keyboard/dp/B0055OJQRY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1455834352&sr=8-1&keywords=Dell+KB1421

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2016, 04:45:58 PM »
To be clear here i would follow the QVL list if i'm spending my money...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

LudaCritz

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2016, 05:29:41 PM »