Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Explorer stop finding sites after a while (cable)  (Read 4551 times)

Adi Corrales

Explorer stop finding sites after a while (cable)
« on: November 21, 2005, 09:24:24 AM »
Hi.  I have a cable modem connection in a PC.  When I turn on the pc Internet explorer works fine but after a while of surfing, it stops finding sites.  It always send a message as if the net were disconnected.  I have to restart the pc to be able to see pages again, but after a short perdiod of time (that is not always the same) It start to send the message "The page can not be shown"  (well, in spanish it said "No se puede mostrar la pagina")  I click on "detect net settings" but nothing happens.  I have try connect the modem via USB (it's a motorola SB5100)  and via Lan, with the same results.

I also noted that when this happen, the receiving bytes in the conneccion status windows, just freeze.  THe sending count stiil go up, but the receiving is idle and just not change anymore.

I have not try to Ping (is not my PC and I forget to do that)
I check the Internet settings, everything is in the default and automatic state
I Update the usb drivers of the modem
I ran the internet connection wizard.

I hope somebody can help me.

Regards and thanks for your time!!

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Explorer stop finding sites after a while (cab
    « Reply #1 on: November 21, 2005, 12:25:35 PM »
    I also noted that when this happen, the receiving bytes in the conneccion status windows, just freeze.  THe sending count stiil go up, but the receiving is idle and just not change anymore.

You have a nasty, do the scans.
    « Last Edit: November 21, 2005, 12:25:57 PM by Fed »

Adi Corrales

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2005, 01:53:32 PM »
    sorry, what do yo mean with "do the scans"?

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2005, 03:50:48 PM »
    AVG AntiVirus
    Ad Aware
    Spybot
    CCleaner

All are free, just google for them.

Adi Corrales

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2005, 04:18:08 PM »
    mmmm  I just had format the hard drive and reinstall W2k SP4 and IE6 (a guy install linux without permision of the owner) No strange software installed, only the "Out of the box" apps.  No internet connection since then (two or three weeks ago)  My friend (the owner of the PC)  just installed a demo version of Norton that works untill january on next year.  She said to me that no viruses were detected (I didn't run it by myself) But I will the scans just in case.... I'll use Adware and AVG...

But I had a similar problem in a Laptop (in similar circumstances, Nothing in the lap but windows) but with a modem connection, that's why I think the problem is with explorer.  I never was able to solve the problem in the laptop, because I thougth it was an ISP problem, and actually i almost not use that lap for net connections, but now, i'm not so sure....

Do you think this could be a bad config. settings or something?  Or this just happend with nasty software?

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2005, 06:34:48 PM »
    Do you have a firewall of any kind? Has this cable modem been used successfully with other computers? Have someone come over and give it a try.

Fed

• Sage
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #6 on: November 21, 2005, 08:47:34 PM »
      I'll use Adware and AVG...

Not enough, get Ewido at the very least or better still...

Download, install & update...
      CLEANUP
      Ccleaner
      ANTI SPYWARE
      Ad-Aware
      Spybot S&D
      Microsoft Antispyware (W2k & XP)
      ANTI VIRUS
      AVG Free (Set options to 'scan all files')
      ANTI TROJAN
      EWIDO (W2k & XP)

Turn off System Restore if applicable. (ME & XP users)

Run Ccleaner
      Run Ad-Aware
      Run Spybot
      Run Microsoft Antispyware
      Run AVG Free
      Run Ewido

Re-start in Safe Mode
      Re-run AVG Free

Re-start in Normal Mode
      Turn on System Restore if applicable. (ME & XP users)

Adi Corrales

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2005, 12:41:25 PM »
      Nop, no firewall.  The cablemodem has not been tested with other computers, but it is the one that the ISP "rent" to my friend (here, in mexico, this is very commun, you have not to buy the modem), so,, it sholud work fine...  

Anyway, the internet connection works for a few minutes, and it is very fast, but after a while, it just sopt working.... so, the modem actually works....

I will try all the scan that fed recommend, to see if a can find something strange....

Thanks

Adi Corrales

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2005, 12:43:26 PM »
      Nop, no firewall.  The cablemodem has not been tested with other computers, but it is the one that the ISP "rent" to my friend (here, in mexico, this is very commun, you have not to buy the modem), so,, it sholud work fine...  

Anyway, the internet connection works for a few minutes, and it is very fast, but after a while, it just sopt working.... so, the modem actually works....

I will try all the scan that fed recommend, to see if a can find something strange....

Thanks

Dell4700

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2005, 12:59:15 PM »
      Adi,

Your internet provider (ISP) may be locking you out after a certain amount of time.  Since it is rented, they may have an automatic limit to prevent theft or misuse.  Check with them.

Su abastecedor de Internet (ISP) puede trabarle hacia fuera después de cierta cantidad de tiempo. Puesto que se alquila, pueden tener un límite automático para prevenir hurto o uso erróneo. Compruebe con ellos.

Dell

Blackberry

Adviser
      • For those with wings, fly to your dreams.
        « Reply #10 on: November 23, 2005, 05:11:50 AM »
        try to use this army of bots on your computer, some are free, for some you have to pay, but, you can always download a free trail (and al programs are safe. Don't forget one to run, download them all, there safe:

ad-aware                  (lavasoft)
        spy sweeper             (webroot)
        CWshredder             (trend micro)
        spybot                      (Safer Networking Limited )
        spyware doctor        (PC Tools Pty. Ltd.)
        spyware blaster       (Javaco cool Software LLC)
        ccleaner                    (no company name found)

greetz

blackberry  8)
        « Last Edit: November 24, 2005, 12:20:58 PM by blackberry »
        Everybody knows you can't click here. But I know you will try it :)

Adi Corrales

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2005, 04:36:42 PM »
        Well, I have ot working now.  I ran all the scans and nothing was found.  The problem was still there.  I completly uninstal the USB drivers of the cable modem (I was not do it before)  Restart the pc and try to connect only by LAN, and it works.  I don't know if this was the solution, but it works for me...

I only have an ocacional disconnection for seconds, that reconnect with a reload of the page, but It can be for the reasons that Dell4700 posts here.

Thanks for yor help and regards!