Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer Very Slow Suddenly Even with Lowest Graphics Settings  (Read 5308 times)

Samuel Parker

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Hello,

About a year and a half ago I bought a brand new ASUS X450CA Laptop. I'm in high school so I don't have much money. I saved up for two years and bought this laptop on sale from the ASUS website for $950.00

Computer Specs:
    ASUS X450CA 2014
    Intel Core i7 3537U CPU @ 2.40 GHz
    Windows 8
    8 GB RAM
    NVIDIA GEFORCE 720M Graphics Card

For about a year the laptop worked great. At the time, my internet was quite bad but the laptop always worked fine. I bought it so I could have a good laptop for school work, as well as computer gaming. The game I play on it is World of Tanks. This game is not demanding and for a long time, I was able to play it on minimum graphics with between 60 and 100 fps.

After about a year the computer started gradually getting slower. A quarter of a year ago I tried to download a bunch of stuff that gave me quite a few viruses, a browser hijacker and some other malware and adware. Once I had all that stuff my fps dropped to between 10 and 25 (unbearable). Even just typing in a web page and loading it would take anywhere from 5 to 30 minutes. So, after spending a month endlessly trying to fix it, I put it away on a shelf.

Recently I got it back out and factory restored it. Deleting everything from it and reinstalling windows 8. For 1 1/2 weeks, my computer played World of Tanks and did everything else great again (though World of Tanks was only running at between 50 and 60 fps, that's fine for me). Two days ago my computer went more or less back to the way it was with the viruses and infections. World of Tanks has been running at 15-25 fps which I am unable to play with. All other things on my computer like web pages and watching videos is still fine but gaming is not. I have run several tests and I have absolutely nothing wrong with viruses or anything of the sort. I now only have World of Tanks and google chrome on my computer. 

I am at the end of my leash here. I cannot afford to buy a new laptop and I really need this one. If anyone can help me get my computer running well again like it used to I would be so grateful. Please if anyone can help, do so. I'm not that good with computers so I might not be able to do complicated coding or anything but I will try.

Sincerely, Samuel Parker

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Computer Very Slow Suddenly Even with Lowest Graphics Settings
    « Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 01:04:04 PM »
    Have you run speedfan or another temp sensor/display program to check temperatures? If your laptop runs hot it will slow its performance to avoid melt down. Games would be impacted by this, while other use that is not so demanding may act normal. Your CPU should be less than 55C and GPU should be less than 60C.

MistressArianna

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
      Re: Computer Very Slow Suddenly Even with Lowest Graphics Settings
      « Reply #2 on: March 15, 2016, 12:38:40 PM »
      i would like to ask are you making sure to keep your drivers updated as a driver that does not have the current updates can also run into problems.