Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows10 Edge Browser Problems  (Read 5736 times)

beachguy

Topic Starter

Beginner

Windows10 Edge Browser Problems
    « on: March 21, 2016, 06:24:38 PM »
    I switched from Windows7 to Windows10 last November 2015  through Windows free change over offer.  Edge and all it functions/apps  have never worked 100%.
    As Edge is integrated into Windows 10, you can't just uninstall/re-install Edge as you can other browsers.   At first, I tried many of the suggestions given through internet searches to correct many of the glitches that can be present in Edge.  There are MANY!  None of them actually got all the features present in Edge to actually work. 

After many days of trying, I gave up.   I began to wonder why are all these people all over the internet spending so much time trying to correct a problem that Microsoft should correct.  So.... is Microsoft currently attempting to fix this browser so all of it features actually work.  We have a newer laptop purchased with Windows10 in it.   Edge works perfectly in that.   The Windows 10 that I installed to replace Windows7 on my desktop has apps that won't work at all, or open for a few seconds and close along with the Edge browser itself that will open for about 5 seconds and close on its own.  One internet solution that people claim would work is to totally delete Windows10 and re-install it.   That to me is an extreme step that people should not have to take.   Is Microsoft (the company ) trying to correct these problems with its new browser now?  Type that exact question into a search bar and all you get are all these random people and their MANY possible solutions as to how to fix these problems.   Microsoft should be doing this.   They put it out last July 2015.   What are they doing now to fix this now? >:(

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Windows10 Edge Browser Problems
    « Reply #1 on: March 21, 2016, 06:42:41 PM »
    I don't think anybody here works at Microsoft, but even if so it wouldn't be possible to answer your question about whether MS is resolving the issues since you've not described a single one of them.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

beachguy

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2016, 08:33:33 PM »
      I know  nobody here works at Microsoft.   Please read more carefully.  My intent was that maybe someone from this forum has heard something that Microsoft is doing to fix the  problems people are having with the Edge browser .   What are those problems? The ones that I am referring to?   See original post:   "The Windows 10 that I installed to replace Windows7 on my desktop has apps that won't work at all, or open for a few seconds and close along with the Edge browser itself that will open for about 5 seconds and close on its own."   I think these problems are clearly stated.   What did you miss? 

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Certifications: List
      « Reply #3 on: March 21, 2016, 10:30:18 PM »
      My apologies. My issue I suppose was that you alluded to a large number of issues, but only seemed to describe one in any detail- I was certainly wrong in saying you didn't describe a single one of them, though.

When you say "Edge" do you refer to the new "Modern UI" which Windows 10 inherited from Windows 8/8.1 for certain functionality? I ask because Edge itself doesn't have "Apps" but that does, and the framework Microsoft has developed for "Apps" is often incredibly unstable and a huge mess to deal with.

You may have already found this in your searches on the issuethat seem to cover the Edge disappearing issue. Some of the stuff on the first page probably wouldn't work, but on the second page users give a number of Powershell commands which might work (assuming you've not tried them) I have to run similar arcane commands occasionally (eg. More than should be necessary) on my PC (I'm on Windows 8.1 which has the same App framework). In my case when things aren't working is that attempting to run "Apps" will simply say they can't start and suggest I reinstall Windows.

Are you able to perform the instructions listed in that page? Does anything appear to present an error message?

One can reasonably expect a few issues in software, but when you've got huge issues with an entire framework that is used at the core of the OS that basically craps itself for no discernable reason, I think we agree that is simply unacceptable. Of course, this does bring us back to "Is Microsoft Fixing it"? I've not heard anything, myself. It's possible that the issue was a problem with some of their earlier "upgrades" where the upgrade left stuff broken, which they (maybe) fixed since and thus consider "resolved" despite numerous users still having the problem.
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

beachguy

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2016, 10:28:42 AM »
        Thanks for the update.  When this post gets enough views perhaps someone who does know will finally be able to explain what Microsoft is doing to correct their problem.  To be more specific with 2 questions that you raised:  The apps that are not working (are from the Windows10 apps that are provided in the initial Windows10 free transfer to this new system.   Some apps work , others don't.  Also, attempting to download others from the Windows app store, same thing, some work, some don't.   As for Edge itself, it opens briefly for about five seconds, shows Bing and what's on the home page and then closes on its own.  Anyone familiar with Windows10 learned that Microsoft wanted to put as much distance between Windows 8 and 8.1  and Windows 10 as possible, hence , there is no Windows 9.  It seems they have created another problem browser that may work for some (i.e. our new laptop with Windows 10 at purchase) but not all (our desktop that originally had Windows 7).  I stress again and now you have also agreed, Microsoft should have been fixing this month ago.  Computer Hope is one of the best computer advice forums out there.   Maybe a Microsoft employee who reads these forums posts will respond.  The problem that I experience with Window10, Edge and its apps are not an isolated problem involving only my desktop.  Think about it.   What new device would you get(car, refrigerator TV etc.) that didn't work properly from day one and then be told: "Go fix it yourself:  try this , no try this, no try this and that."    Micrsoft need to fix these problems. >:(

beachguy

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2016, 09:02:06 PM »
          I have never seen this before.  These problems appear to have completely fixed themselves.   My Edge browser now opens and works perfectly.  The apps that were included in the initial transfer from Windows 7 to Windows 10 now open, stay open , work perfectly and even my downloading new apps from the Windows store now actually work.  This is truly amazing!  I did not do anything to bring this about.  I did not install/ uninstall or re-try the many, many suggestions from the internet as to how to correct these problems.  I did not do a complete re-install of Windows 10 as some suggested to do. 

To a degree, of course, I am pleased that it is working as it should.  Hopefully, it will stay that way (time will tell).  However,  I would have still liked to know what caused these problems since I switched to Windows 10 last November 2015, and even more so, what happened today that made everything work on its own??  Maybe complaining through this forum got somebody's attention at Microsoft.  Maybe they finally did come up with a patch to fix these problems.  I do receive automatic updates from Microsoft.  If anyone has a reasonable explanation as to how all these problems could just "FIX" themselves after not working properly daily for 5 months since I installed it,  I am really interested in you sharing your thoughts here.
          Thanks,
          beachguy :o

soybean

Genius
          • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
          • Experience: Experienced
          « Reply #6 on: March 28, 2016, 09:36:11 AM »
          An update from Microsoft might be the reason for the fix you have experienced. 

I installed Firefox in Windows 10 months ago, made it the default browser, and haven't looked back. 

beachguy

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2016, 11:10:28 AM »
            Thanks soybean.  Your suggestion about a Microsoft patch was all I could come up with also.  Amazing, after 5 months of having Windows 10/Edge/Apps only working partially or not at all, it is still functioning on my PC 100% on day number 2 of it apparently fixing itself.   It will be interesting to see if others who experienced these same problems with Windows 10/Edge/Apps will now start reporting that their systems are working correctly also.  If it was a Microsoft patch, I would assume this should be happening, otherwise,  the mystery continues.

monicadawson

Greenhorn

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2016, 05:38:28 AM »
              Reset Microsoft Edge Through Its Settings
              Open the “Settings” menu by clicking the three horizontal dots in the upper right corner of the Edge window and choose “Settings.”

Under Clear browsing data, click “Choose what to clear” and then click “Show more.” There are a lot of data types here. Select them all and click “Clear.” Restart your PC and re-open Edge for a clean slate.

Repair Microsoft Edge Through System File Checker
              How to Repair Corrupted Windows System Files with the SFC and DISM Commands
              The System File Checker tool built into Windows can scan your Windows system files for corruption or any other changes
              Microsoft Edge is a core component of Windows 10, not a separate app. If the error is caused by file corruption or something similar, Windows’ System File Checker tool (sfc.exe) might be able to fix the problem. You can run a full system scan with the System File Checker by right-clicking the Start menu, selecting “Command Prompt (Admin)”, and running the following command:
              sfc /scannow
              For more information on running System File Checker commands, check out our guide on the subject. If the SFC command fails to fix the problem, then try the more advanced DISM command or System Update Readiness Tool described in our guide. Restart your PC and hopefully Microsoft Edge should work properly.
              Reset Microsoft Edge Through PowerShell
              If the above methods don’t work for you, you may have to go nuclear. This PowerShell command will delete and re-register the core data of Microsoft Edge. Make sure you perform a full backup and/or create a system restore point before continuing in case anything goes wrong. This is very important, and do not continue before creating a backup!
              First, navigate to the following folder and clear everything inside it:
              C:\Users\%username\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe
              (Replace %username with your own username.)
              Next, right-click on the Start menu and choose “Windows PowerShell (Admin)”. Copy and paste the following code inside PowerShell and press Enter:
              Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers -Name Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml” -Verbose}
              If the process was completed successfully, you should see a message like this:

When you open Microsoft Edge next time, you will see that it has been reset to default. If you encounter any error, type the following command to get the first few logged events:
              Get-Appxlog | Out-GridView