Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows 10 and WindowsXP on same computer  (Read 7446 times)

Radar

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Familiar
    Windows 10 and WindowsXP on same computer
    « on: March 29, 2016, 11:20:38 AM »
    Hi I have windows 10 on my c drive and I have just cloned windows xp from my old computer onto drive 2.

How can I choose which one I want to open on start up?. I have not been able to start xp at all yet.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Windows 10 and WindowsXP on same computer
    « Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 11:38:56 AM »
    let me provide you a short answer. What you are trying to do is either not going to work, or else be a lot more trouble than it's worth.
    Here on this forum there is a policy against cloning Windows XP from one computer to another unless both computers are identical and both have the Windows XP product key. It has been suggested that owning Windows 10 would entitled you to use Windows XP also. But this is not really a policy of Microsoft. In fact, Microsoft does not encourage the continued use of Windows XP for anything.
    Now that, after having said that, here are some points you want to consider.
    Windows XP must be the first operating system installed on the hard disk. The hard disk must be formatted completely to the type of structure used by Windows XP. Specifically, Windows XP wants a hard drive formatted to what is called the  MBR format.
    May I suggest that if you wish to explore more about Windows XP, just use it on your old computer. You may be able to make space in your personal office to have both computers on your desktop. You can get a switch to switch back and forth between computers and your monitor. That is, in my opinion, the easiest and most effective way to enjoy to operating systems that you are to have installed.
    Doing a dual install of Windows tenant and Windows XP will probably take more time than what you were spending. And the end result is not as good as having two separate computers. And this is not just my opinion, many others will tell you the same thing.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #2 on: March 29, 2016, 11:48:45 AM »
    First, there is a procedure you should follow to install multiple OS's on a system. Second, how did you "download" XP?

Salmon Trout

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 12:02:58 PM »
    It has been suggested that owning Windows 10 would entitled you to use Windows XP also.
    Owning Windows 10 does not confer the right to use XP.

Radar

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2016, 12:05:30 PM »
      Thanks for the help. 
      I cloned xp from my laptop onto a external hard drive then put it onto my second drive. I still have my original windows xp disc but I did not want to go through putting every thing back in.
      I wanted xp because I have some great programs that will not work on windows 10.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2016, 12:25:06 PM »
      I cloned xp from my laptop onto a external hard drive then put it onto my second drive.
      This is almost certainly not going to work from (1) a technical point of view - the laptop XP install would have all the hardware drivers for the laptop (motherboard, CPU, display, chipset etc) and is practically guaranteed to fail if you try and run it on a different machine also (2) the legal aspect: the XP install on the laptop may have had an OEM license in which case it is tied to the hardware of the laptop, and cannot legally be run on another machine. If it was a full retail license it would be for one machine at a time so you would have to uninstall XP from the laptop.

Radar

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2016, 03:39:41 AM »
        Thank you all.  I have decided to put my old original xp that I had on an old computer. back on to the old computer.
        Then I will not have to mess with my laptop and will still be legal. :D

Radar

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2016, 07:30:37 AM »
          I'm having a bad day  :-[ Trying to put windows xp back onto an old computer that had windows 7 on.
          I have formatted the c drive and set the dvd drive to boot first. but it will not start to install windows xp. no   ( press any key to start ) sign

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #8 on: March 30, 2016, 08:16:14 AM »
          Is this the laptop ? ?...if so use the Recovery partition instead which takes it back to Day 1 status...
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Radar

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2016, 10:31:40 AM »
            Thanks all,  I have managed to sort it out.  ;D

katawanya

• Experience: Beginner
              Re: Installing Windows Xp in my dell optiplex 755 series
              « Reply #10 on: July 06, 2016, 04:11:20 AM »
              Hello.
              Today i try to install windows xp in my dell optiplex 755 using usb bootable drive it boot quite well but when it reach to windows is starting then Blue screen of death appears, and nothing can do any help with this

Salmon Trout

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2016, 04:14:10 AM »
              You need to start your own thread.