Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: AMD Radeon Crimson, Gaming Evolved & Radeon Raptr  (Read 3919 times)

jusmeyall

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
    AMD Radeon Crimson, Gaming Evolved & Radeon Raptr
    « on: April 08, 2016, 02:29:38 PM »
    My wife's computer with Windows 10 recently prompted a download of AMD's Radeon Crimson. Ever since the download was performed there have been more prompts for both Radeon Raptr (which seems to have been included with the Crimson) and Gaming Evolved, also a prompt to update Radeon Crimson. lately the prompts occur for Raptr several times throughout a day. We originally thought the AMD Crimson was an updated version for the AMD GPU on the computer. Neither my wife or myself play any online games and or not inclined to do so.
    My question then concerning this software is--is the Crimson an updated version that enhances the overall GPU performance of the computer, or is it meant strictly for gaming performance?
    If the Crimson is not improving performance for the computer's graphics sans games, how do I remove and delete the software for it and the Raptr?
    Any advice or information concerning this software is apprecated.
    Thanks, jusmeyall

jusmeyall

Topic Starter

Rookie

Re: AMD Radeon Crimson, Gaming Evolved & Radeon Raptr
      « Reply #1 on: April 09, 2016, 05:23:28 PM »
      Wow, 159 views and no replies. I guess I am not the only one who is clueless about this topic. Seriously, surely someone knows whether AMD Crimson adds performance to the CPU for overall performance or if it is strictly for games--anyone?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: April 09, 2016, 10:24:06 PM »
      Raptr is some odd social networking thing. Probably useless to most people.

"AMD Gaming Evolved" is a client that connects to Raptr. Probably also useless to most people.

Crimson is the name they attach to their driver package and related software. Previously, it was called Catalyst. (I don't know where they come up with these names. I nominate "Exothermal" for their next rebranding).

My question then concerning this software is--is the Crimson an updated version that enhances the overall GPU performance of the computer, or is it meant strictly for gaming performance?
      It would represent a new driver version, I'd expect. The specific changes could be only related to games, or it could resolve major issues with desktop application functionality. Keeping the existing version (assuming it is working fine) won't hurt anything though.

To get rid of the prompts you should be able to open Task Manager and go to the Startup Tab, and right-click and "Disable" any items related to AMD.

You might be able to find the Raptr and "AMD Gaming Software" items in the control panel's Add/Remove programs and remove them.
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

jusmeyall

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2016, 03:06:12 PM »
        Thanks for taking the time to reply BC_Programmer. I read about Raptr, Gaming Evolved and Crimson on Wikipedia and a couple old articles from PC World, but did not find the answer to my questions there. Based on your input I look forward to disable and remove the prompts and gaming software. I will leave the Crimson "as is" for a period of time and see what happens.
        Problem Solved!  :)