Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Having trouble with WPA2 at home.  (Read 4549 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Having trouble with WPA2 at home.
« on: April 13, 2016, 03:52:41 PM »
A definition of WPA2:
WPA2 (Wi-FI Protected Access 2) is a network security technology commonly used on Wi-Fi wireless networks. WPA2 replaced the original WPA technology on all certified Wi-Fi hardware since 2006 and is based on the IEEE 802.11i technology standard for data encryption.Mar 31, 2016

It seems that Windows XP does not work well with current WPA2. Or so it seems. About month back o it was working. Now it does not. So I have to use my wireless without ant security.

Using Malware bytes, no virus was found.  So I suppose this is a XP specific thing.  The problem does not show in Windows 10. But I like to web surf in XP. It is a  habit hard to break.
Any ideas?   :'(

EDIT: A new update for WPA2 was released. I have not tried it.
http://yourtipdshow.info/2016/02/18/microsoft-update-xp-wpa2/

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Having trouble with WPA2 at home.
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2016, 04:32:30 PM »
I have a Thinkpad T41 running Windows XP and it connects to my WPA2 network without issue.

There has been no recent update. That website is a spam website that scrapes other websites. The "update" in question to add support for WPA2 is from May of 2005, and applies to SP2. It is rolled into SP3.

I think you'll agree that "It's not working" leaves an awful lot to the imagination!

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Having trouble with WPA2 at home.
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2016, 04:55:01 PM »
BC_Programmer, what you aid is reasonable. But still, I have a kind of feeling that something changed in the past few months.
Yes, I recall there was a lot of snuff about WP2 some time ago.  Bu I have had XP SP3 working on two machines earlier this year using WPA2 an no issues.
Has anybody else out there had any recent WPA2 problems? Am I the only one?