Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Back up my OS Win 8  (Read 4985 times)

Donnie

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    Back up my OS Win 8
    « on: April 14, 2016, 01:29:45 PM »
    G'Day..I recently purchased a laptop and I was told I need to do a BackUp of the system.How do I go about doing this? I purchased a Flash Drive.
     Could you please help me  Thank you..
    "Veni, Vidi, Vici"

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Back up my OS Win 8
    « Reply #1 on: April 14, 2016, 01:32:02 PM »
    The best backup method is disc imaging. Here is something I put together a few years ago:

Disk Imaging software takes a "snapshot" of your drive as it exists at the time you create the image. You can then restore the entire image or any file(s) or folder(s) you choose. It is a virtually foolproof way of backing up your system and providing a safe haven in the event of a catastrophe that requires you to blow away your system partition and restore it to a previous state. It also allows you to "test" various software and be confident that you have a the ability to return to the prior state any time you choose.

I use Acronis True Image. It is the best of breed, but it isn't free. The best free alternative is Macrium Reflect.

1) I create an image of my system partition once a week to a second hard drive and keep the 2 or 3 most recent images. I also image my other partitions about once a month. I always enable "verify image" in the options. It takes a little longer, but insures a valid image.

2) I also create an image before performing any drive level function (ie, changing the size of a partition) or making any significant change to the OS (installing a service pack, upgrading IE, etc). Also sometimes before installing new software.

3) Images may be created on any medium (cd, dvd, external drive, etc). For obvious reasons they should not be stored on the same drive you are imaging. The best option is a second internal hd if you have one and, if you're really ambitious, to an external drive as well (one week to the internal, one week to the external). That's actually the procedure I follow.

4) Images may be created "in the background" within the OS. If you need to restore the system partition, that will need to be done before the OS loads. You can start the process within the application in the OS and it will then tell you it needs to reboot to finish the process. Alternatively, you can boot to a "recovery disk" which you can create when you first install the software (or to the application disk itself if you have one). Other partitions can be restored without a reboot.

Donnie

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #2 on: April 14, 2016, 02:40:32 PM »
      Thank you so much Allen. This is a whole new ballgame for me, and
      I appreciate the help.
      "Veni, Vidi, Vici"

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: April 14, 2016, 03:08:39 PM »
      You're welcome - that's what we're here for :)