Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Delete everything  (Read 4619 times)

SIndurkhya

Delete everything
« on: July 28, 2004, 06:39:28 PM »
Hi. I am in a tight jam right now, and any help is appreciated. I tried to install Windows, but after it installed, it wasn't able to use the boot disk because it is not having a driver that works with my CD ROM drive. I have my own driver on a floppy disk. Any way.

How can I delete all partitions and erase everything, so that I may start with a fresh start?  ???

MalikTous

Re: Delete everything
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2004, 02:15:40 PM »
Use a floppy boot disk with the following utilities:

himem.sys
emm386.exe
fdisk.exe (or fdisk.com)
format.com
sys.com

in addition to the CDROM drivers and personal favourite edittor, etc. Your autoexec.bat and config.sys should load XMS (himem.sys), dos=high,umb, EMS (emm386.exe noems), and the CDROM drivers.

You use FDISK to remove all partitions from the drive and assign new ones, then FORMAT to prepare them for OS install (the format of your first (primary boot) partition should include /S to include room for system files) Then you install your OS.

If this is in regards to Win9x, copy the entire contents of the CD to the hard drive by including

xcopy*.*

for the DOS version on the boot floppy and using

xcopy cdrom drive letter: c:\wininst /s /e

to copy the complete directory structure to the hard drive.  Then install from that copy. The copy is best placed on a partition other than the boot partition.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2004, 02:20:54 PM by MalikTous »

johnwill

Re: Delete everything
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2004, 02:48:47 PM »
Download the disk manufacturer's diagnostic utility and use the option to write zeros to the drive.  It'll be like a factory-fresh disk. :)