Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Top 10 Most Popular Linux Distros of 2015.  (Read 6080 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Top 10 Most Popular Linux Distros of 2015.
« on: May 06, 2016, 07:52:29 PM »
Any newbie to Linux may fin this list helpful. The link is to  tecmint, just one of many sties that focus on Linux. I would recommend any newbie to look over this list before hosing your first Linux experience.
http://www.tecmint.com/10-top-most-popular-linux-distributions-of-2015/

It comes as no surprise that Ubuntu, Linux Mint and Debian are in the top three. When a Linux version becomes popular, there should be more users who will help you on one of the forums set on one version.

Of special note is # 10 on the list. Elementary OS. Never heard of it. They say:
Advertised by its developers as “a fast and open replacement for Windows and OS X”, this nice-looking Ubuntu LTS-based desktop Linux distribution was first made available in 2011 and is currently on its third stable release (codename “Freya“).
Since elementary OS is based on Ubuntu, it is totally compatible with its repositories and packages. However, an application manager of its own is, at the time of this writing under development. ...
But they want you to contribute money. What?
Anybody here with personal experience  to share?   8)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 08:05:30 PM by Geek-9pm »

DaveLembke

Sage
Re: Top 10 Most Popular Linux Distros of 2015.
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2016, 07:34:07 AM »
My choices for Linux are mainly

1.) Mint
2.) Ubuntu
3.) Fedora

I have tried many different ones. Years ago I used Linspire for a short while, but when a friend told me to try Linux Mint version 6 Felicia I WAS HOOKED to MINT!

I started off first with mandrake many many years ago around 1998. Then friend gave me Red Hat 6 around 1999 which was a pain to get running mainly driver madness issues trying to get everything to work and when I finally got it to work with 800 x 600 vs 640 x 480 it was finally usable. Then Lindows came out where Walmart and others were selling low cost Celeron systems with Lindows and I almost bought one, but didnt. Instead I found out that I could get Linspire a later generation of Lindows for free and so I tried that out and it installed so much easier than Red Hat ever was to install but was still lacking driver support for ink jet printers and more. It was pretty much useful to those who wanted to web surf and check e-mail but wasnt a gamer. Then I was introduced to Linux Mint 6 by my canadian friend when I was complaining about there not being a good Windows-Like Linux distro. he said you havent checked out MINT? I was like no why... he said download Mint 6 and burn to a CD-R and tell me how you like it. I tried it out and loved it. Yet again a easy installation, good performance, and plenty of supported drivers and software. Installed WINE and even had windows based software running. Then a college project had me having to use Fedora and I used Fedora Core 5 because I needed to have a Red Hat based build and Fedora was as close as you can get without spending money. Then tried Ubuntu because Mint is based on Ubuntu, but I felt this draw to sticking with Mint vs using Ubuntu. In Mint everything for me is better, so I stuck with it. I still occasionally download a newer version of Fedora and Ubuntu to check on their changes. Fedora came a long way since Fedora Core 5. I was amazed that on a laptop with a wireless adapter it found the wireless adapter installed the correct drivers and all I needed to do was give the information to it to connect to a secured wifi. And this was running a Live Version of Fedora Version 17 on a 4GB USB Stick. But even with Fedora far better than it was years ago, I still feel that Mint is the distro for me.

A long time ago I bought a USB stick for $3.95 that was a 1GB stick that had CentOS 6 on it. I figured it was worth it as for if I didnt like it I would just format the 1GB stick and use it as a 1GB stick vs live CentOS 6 thumb drive. Well I ended up not really having a need for CentOS 6 and so I formatted the 1GB stick and was surprised at how slow the write process is to the USB stick. It was a cheap 1GB stick that I guess had a fast read rate, but slow write rate. So I guess I got my $3.95 worth of performance in a slow 1GB stick when writing data to it.

I really wish that Linux had a DirectX vs stuck with OpenGL as for thats what I feel is holding back most gamers from Linux use.

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
Re: Top 10 Most Popular Linux Distros of 2015.
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2016, 11:32:01 AM »
DaveLembke, Thanks for adding content value to this thread.
Yes, many would like Linux to be more like Windows.  8)

But.. did you see this from last month?
Microsoft embraces Linux -- way too late -InfoWorld
The fact that Microsoft now supports SQL Server on Linux isn’t really a technical development -- it’s a business move. Fortunately for Microsoft, the Ballmer blinders are gone, and the company can see that Linux is the OS of choice for our cloud future, not Windows. Microsoft lost that battle a long time ago. Not surprisingly, the Azure cloud folks have taken the lead in pushing Microsoft toward supporting Linux (and other open source cloud-related technologies, including Docker, Kubernetes, and various NoSQL databases
Yes, if you spend a lot of time on the Internet or in a cloud, Linux works very well. Maybe even better than t Windows.