Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Backup encountered problem with 2 files  (Read 8611 times)

02bin3

Backup encountered problem with 2 files
« on: May 11, 2016, 10:39:04 AM »
I just got a new Lenovo G70 Laptop and tried to create a Backup first on a reformatted USB Flash Drive, and it performed the Backup rather quickly, but, informed me that the Backup was completed, but some files were skipped.  I checked to see which files were left out:

Backup encountered a problem while backing up file C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\Documents. Error:(The system cannot find the file specified. (0x80070002))
Backup encountered a problem while backing up file C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\Pictures. Error:(The system cannot find the file specified. (0x80070002))

Is this because I do not have any files as yet in Documents and Pictures?  Or do I have a bigger problem here?  Please bear in mind that I am a total novice on Windows 10 and am having a tough time finding programs that I have no problem locating on Windows 7 Pro.
Thanks for any input.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Backup encountered problem with 2 files
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2016, 11:13:16 AM »
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile is the profile folder that is used by the higher security LocalSystem and LocalService account. Generally there wouldn't be any user data there (you can't even log-in using that account without crazy tricks), so this is expected.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

02bin3

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2016, 12:04:33 PM »
Thanks for your quick reply.  Does this mean that I do not have to be concerned about those two files?  I forgot to add that I also did a Backup with DVD-RW 4.6 GB discs and it took 4 of those discs to do the backup and quite a lot of time.  Is this within a reasonable amount of discs to use to do a backup?

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2016, 02:02:11 PM »
Yes...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

02bin3

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2016, 02:42:04 PM »
I hate to be a pain, but is that "yes" a yes to both questions I asked? :)

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2016, 07:00:33 PM »
4 discs...yes...long time burning them also yes...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2016, 09:46:54 AM »
At that size it sounds like you might be backing up everything.

You should be backing up only your files- backing up system files in this way doesn't really help and uses a lot of disc space.

A more useful approach for backing up that can be used to recover the system would be to use Disk imaging software.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

02bin3

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2016, 11:17:36 AM »
The computer is brand new and other than Kaspersky Total Security, I hadn't put anything else on the computer.  No .doc files or photos.  The strange thing is, is that I also backed it up to a 16.5GB USB Flash Drive and it only took up about 800 MB????  I haven't figured that one out yet.  When I put in the first disc to backup to, I was brought to a different window that asked me to make different choices than when I used the USB Flash Drive.  And not being too intuitive with computer lingo, I probably made the wrong choice that took up 4 discs.  I did a System Repair Disc, too.  I can get around a computer fairly well as far as figuring out new software programs, but when it comes to the inner workings, I am totally clueless, but I think it is lack of understanding the language of computer programmers.  Now, I have to learn a whole new set of words for the programs that are now 'apps'.  Thanks for your input. :)

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2016, 11:20:21 AM »
If you have System Restore enabled those files are very large and are stored in a hidden folder (System Volume Information) on each drive / partition. Also your temporary internet files folder is probably relatively large.

02bin3

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2016, 11:27:42 AM »
I haven't even found System Restore yet.  I feel like a stranger in a strange land dealing with Windows 10.  There are some programs that I used to pin to my Desktop, but for whatever reason, Windows 10 won't let me do that.  Some can only be pinned to the taskbar, and when your eyesight isn't that great, deciphering those new streamlined icons can be daunting.