Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Is forwarding a custom domain, the only way to connect custom domain to a Faceb  (Read 6130 times)

CrewRite

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • Experience: Familiar
    Is forwarding a custom domain, the only way to connect a custom domain to a Facebook page.  Or does Facebook have a way to add custom domains to a user account, so I can use nameservers.

Or if there are other ways, I'd like to know.

Thanks.

CrewRite

Topic Starter

Beginner
      I must be confusing people.  Example: www.MyDomain.com TO www.facebook.com/MyUser

Couldn't seem to edit the last post, so I posted a reply.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      Be careful about including a real URL in the text.
      (In the following I will use VVVV instead of WWW.)
      Example:
      I can make a folder in my domain like this:
       VVV.geek9pm.com/facebook
      which will jump to
       VVV.facebook.com/geek9pm

To milk to another web site automatically, use the 'refresh' command in HTML.

HTML Goodies - refresh.

Is that what you want?

CrewRite

Topic Starter

Beginner
        Ok, just to be clear, I only purchased a domain without hosting for FaceBook only, so I only have domain management.  Obviously I could use a subdomain to direct to Facebook.  But, since this domain is only for Facebook, it would make more sense to direct the domain itself to Facebook.

Which is why I asked if FaceBook has a way to add my purchased domain to my facebook account and Facebook Name Servers to connect it up or is Domain Forwarding the only way.

The problem with Domain Forwarding is that some search engine submissions are being rejected.  So, if Facebook actually has the option of NameServers, that would likely solve some of the issues.   ScrubTheWeb, Error: Detected Meta Refresh

camerongray

Expert
          • Yes
          • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
        Forwarding is the only way to do it.  I'd forget about trying to get a forwarded domain to work on a search engine - Even if a search engine accepts it, it will almost certainly index the destination of the redirect and ignore the domain.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        OK. I will only speak layabout what I know, not what I don't know.
        I do not know the policies Facebook has.

What I do know.
        You can buy a domain from many sources. Some are very reputable.
        You can buy web space from number of companies.  Again, some are very honest and truthful about what the have.

The domain registrar is not the same as the domain host. They can be different. And, if need be, you can pay another company to manage dynamic name servers.

As for SEO (search Engine Optimization),  I know it is better when you pay somebody to do it for you.Also, you can pay Google to give your web site a better positron in a search.

A atop level domain name is Intellectual Property.  You need to make sure that you  are registered as the real owner of the domain. Like if you wrote a song you would not let somebody else say it is belongs to them.

What some site owners do is have the content in two or more places on the Internet. One or more  sites have a summary of relevant material, both yours and others. But your site is the full text an d pedicures of the topics. This gives you a better chance of being picked by a search engine. In  fact, the search Engine will note have many times other sites refer to your site. So you can increase tragic and search engine hits by making partnerships with others.

CrewRite

Topic Starter

Beginner
          Good news, my facebook page is in top ranking now.  It may have been caused by a site that allowed custom meta data and submission.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
          • Geek After Dark
            • Gekk9pm bnlog
          Glad you got it fixed.    8)