Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Version checking within administrative batch file  (Read 105266 times)

ace350

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Version checking within administrative batch file
    « on: May 17, 2016, 03:38:54 AM »
    I have a need to update a main batch (.cmd) file, sub-scripts, and folders when out of date. The batch is part of an internal process that collects information off of Windows 2003, 2008 & 2012.  We are using batch and a little VBS because it works on all servers that we have on our environment.  We cannot install anything or utilize any tools that modify the registry.  As this task was limited to windows 2003 and a few 2008 servers, an extensive process was not needed.  Our success has initiated the task of doing the same on all of our servers world wide.  These servers do not have access to anything outside of the coperate Intranet without considerable red tape.
    Basicly, I would like to set up some sort of version checking that continues to run the main script if all scripts and sub-scripts are up to date ... OR ... if the main script sees that something (including itself) is older than the latest master (globally accessable location), an update of the scripts/files/folders is executed.
    I have made a couple attempts at this by trying to "START" a secondary .cmd in a TEMP folder that calls for the new files to be downloaded when the version indicated in the main script does not match the version indicated in a text file on the "master" server.
    I realize there are many apps out there that can do this specific thing but I have been told that I will not get authorization to install any of these.  I have been told that I will soon be able to do this from PowerShell, but this may be 5-6 months away. I must start on Monday (17 May 2016).  I have run out of time and I have waited too long to reach out for help. Soooo ... please help.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Version checking within administrative batch file
    « Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 09:46:14 AM »
    I realize there are many apps out there that can do this specific thing but I have been told that I will not get authorization to install any of these. 

Your situation is slightly odd. You dont seem to be the administrator of these systems with your hands tied from all that you cant do. There must be someone else in charge with these privileges and your trying to work around them by use of a script. Have you gotten proper approval to create run a custom script if they have all this red tape?

Running this on systems world wide, and your hands tied as they are that you cant do this and cant do that, is just fishy.

I have run out of time and I have waited too long to reach out for help. Soooo ... please help.

Who did you run out of time to reach out for help with?   ::)

The apps out there that can do this specific task are your best solution. This solution for a scripted work around would need privileges that you dont seem to be granted within the business. Have you talked to your boss about this situation?

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Version checking within administrative batch file
    « Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 10:04:31 AM »
    Judging by the nebulous query and the fact it's a workplace situation i'm not quite sure we should advise any further...

You need to talk to who's in charge...have him re-define your tasks and responsibilities and we'll be glad to assist at that point.

" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "