Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Get Modern Browsers for Windows XP. Update  (Read 13097 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Get Modern Browsers for Windows XP. Update
« on: May 21, 2016, 12:53:27 PM »
Here ya go!
Some good browsers no longer support Windows XP. Yet you can still find places where suitable versions of the popular browsers can be found.
Firefox is still said to be compatible with Windows XP.  Yet even so, there may be some issues with the newest version. You can get older versions of Firefox from the Mozilla site. Try a version before 42, maybe even before 30 for some issues. My problem was that I could not print from newer versions of Firefox when using my Windows XP on by old Dell.
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/

As for Internet Explorer,  you just have to hunt to find a version that works with XP. Here is one:
http://filehippo.com/download_internet_explorer_xp/

Another hard one is Chrome. Google says no more Chrome for XP.  Still,  you can find an older version that works. They say you want version 49 or earlier
http://www.slimjet.com/chrome/google-chrome-old-version.php

SeaMonkey is not a problem. But it is SeaMonkey.
Opera is still alright as far as i know.
Of course, you can just give up on using XP!  :'(

What about Safari?
http://www.techspot.com/downloads/4184-safari-for-windows.html

Comments?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 01:11:19 PM by Geek-9pm »

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Get Modern Browsers for Windows XP. Update
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2016, 01:10:11 PM »
Firefox 46 works fine on my XP system. I have my "era appropriate" Lexmark Z816 Printer connected to that system. If the browser can't print it is probably better to copy paste to a word document and print that way, which is better in general since you can print only specifically what you want. On an older system that is no longer receiving security updates it is likely a good idea to keep the browser as up to date as possible.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

DaveLembke

Sage
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2016, 01:57:56 PM »
On/off subject... You can always take your older computer built for XP such as a Pentium 4 with 1GB RAM and make a dual-boot system with Windows XP and Linux and use the Linux OS on the system for anything that you want as secure as can be with latest browser.

I rebuilt a eMachine the other day running a Pentium 4 HT 3.0Ghz with 1GB RAM to have dual-boot Windows XP Home SP3 & Linux Mint 17.3 (*32-bit). This way the computer is dual purpose for running older games on matched hardware as well as a 11 year old computer can still be used with secure newest browsers computing with Linux Mint 17.3 (32-bit). Additionally Flash support is better for Linux than XP these days as well as you can install WINE and run Windows based programs in Linux if needed.

I have Firefox 46 on this XP system and no problems. Right after activation I installed Firefox because XP and old IE has issues with many modern sites, and no problems as of yet with Firefox.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2016, 02:45:07 PM »
In my Case Linux distributions have very poor support for the Radeon 9000 that is part of the AGP All-In-Wonder card I have in that system. The only desktop environment that works properly is XFCE; Same for my Thinkpad T41 with a which uses a mobile Radeon 7500 chipset.

That, and (again, in my case), I wanted both systems specifically to run previous Windows versions.

Linux is certainly a better choice if "refurbishing" a system for less savvy users, however, particularly if the choice is between Windows XP and Linux, but even generally. I did put Linux Mint on the PC my uncle gave my parents. (A TFX Case Inspiron) The Hard Drive was still good, but the integrated graphics were corrupted and crashed the system, and while initially testing, wouldn't you know it, the power supply failed. I replaced the Power supply (TFX) and got a cheap, low profile Geforce 210 after confirming that the graphics problems were not merely the result of the original failing PSU. It's been running fine as far as I'm aware.

It depends very strongly on the user though. An advanced Excel or Word user isn't going to feel at home in the any OSS Office software, which for the advanced user are merely shadows of Microsoft Office.

With regards to XP in particular, when setting up the two old style systems, I came across some very useful software.

ViStart Gives XP a Vista/7 style start menu, including an integrated search feature, though the search seems more limited it tends to work most of the time.

Everything Search I've actually put on all my systems now. It's a ridiculously fast search tool that is able to search entire drives based on filename in seconds. I've used it to great success when I've forgotten where I saved a file but remember a part of the filename. It indexes even large drives very, very quickly and the search results appear practically instantaneously, and I've been quite impressed with it. I think it works by searching the Master File Table via it's service component, rather than accessing the disk drive via conventional File APIs, but whatever it does it works great.

I also tend to install "Royale Remixed" as well as the Microsoft Zune Theme on my XP systems. (I use the Zune theme alongside the sounds from Royale Remixed, personally) However my copy was downloaded so long ago I don't know if there are any trustworthy downloads for it now.

Vetal

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2017, 08:25:43 PM »
    Here ya go!
    Some good browsers no longer support Windows XP. Yet you can still find places where suitable versions of the popular browsers can be found.
    Firefox is still said to be compatible with Windows XP.  Yet even so, there may be some issues with the newest version. You can get older versions of Firefox from the Mozilla site. Try a version before 42, maybe even before 30 for some issues. My problem was that I could not print from newer versions of Firefox when using my Windows XP on by old Dell.
    https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/

As for Internet Explorer,  you just have to hunt to find a version that works with XP. Here is one:
    http://filehippo.com/download_internet_explorer_xp/

Another hard one is Chrome. Google says no more Chrome for XP.  Still,  you can find an older version that works. They say you want version 49 or earlier
    http://www.slimjet.com/chrome/google-chrome-old-version.php

SeaMonkey is not a problem. But it is SeaMonkey.
    Opera is still alright as far as i know.
    Of course, you can just give up on using XP!  :'(

What about Safari?
    http://www.techspot.com/downloads/4184-safari-for-windows.html

Comments?

This is an old post but thoughtI would add my comments, if only as an update. I am currently using XP Pro, and the following browsers work on it:
    Comodo Cromodo
    Whitehat Aviator
    SRWare Iron
    SeaMonkey
    The following browsers I had, but uninstalled, because each was obsessed with 'security certificates' (either completely refusing to go to the designated url, or forcing me to do 5 to 10 mouse clicks to add 'exception'):
    QtNet
    Firefox (cversions 21, 3.5, & 2.?)
    PaleMoon
    CyberDragon
    Slimjet
    If you can live with that irritation, then these work on XP also.

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    « Reply #5 on: November 25, 2017, 10:29:32 PM »
    Thanks for your addition.

This thread is scheduled to expire...
     - when only two people still use Windows XP.    :P

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    « Reply #6 on: November 26, 2017, 03:57:08 AM »
    The following browsers I had, but uninstalled, because each was obsessed with 'security certificates' (either completely refusing to go to the designated url, or forcing me to do 5 to 10 mouse clicks to add 'exception')

This is an issue with Windows XP because Windows XP has a base set of trusted certificates that are from more than a decade ago. It also doesn't have some added logic that was added to Vista and later whereby it checks for a Root certificate on Microsoft Update when it first encounters something signed with it.

You can update Windows XP's root certificates here: Update for Root Certificates for Windows XP

Salmon Trout

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2017, 04:43:05 AM »
    In the UK Govt department where I work, we are still using XP (until next March). They have rolled out Firefox Extended Support Release (Firefox ESR)  I think the current version is 52.4.1 The v.52 ESR family is the last that will run on XP and Vista. It is, apparently, slated to receive its last security update on May 1, 2018.

DaveLembke

Sage
    « Reply #8 on: November 26, 2017, 12:48:14 PM »
    Cool that you too have a Gov Job Salmon.  ;D

We have finally been phasing out our XP stuff where I am at going directly to Windows 10. There are still a few systems that are running XP because of issues getting 10 to work with legacy hardware and code. They have a bunch of stuff written 20+ years ago that needs to be brought forward to be compatible with Windows 10.

One machine I have for magazine and bubble mailer and large envelope automation is still running NT4 on a Pentium III 700Mhz with 384MB RAM on a private isolated network so its not at risk of getting hacked etc, but the problem they are running into now is that the machine was made in 1998 and the computers to run NT4 are getting scarce and they dont want to buy used systems on ebay etc and only want new hardware which to find new never used Pentium 3 systems isnt an easy find and if you do its likely being sold at a premium. We have a cluster of Dual Processor Athlon MP 2600+ 4U rack mount servers that have been getting worse as time passes with POST failures of mismatched CPU and freeze ups that have been running for about 14 years or so, and the only reason why these old servers aren't a problem is that the cluster works as a load balance for processing and so if you have 2 of these freeze up no problem then other 13 of them just take on a load of more frequent requests for image results to be processed by OCR programs from bitmaps. We have been told that engineering is working on replacing the Pentium 3 systems running NT4 with new a newer Xeon CPU and Windows 10 as well as the clusters for the OCR is suppose to also get replaced with newer servers for OCR image results.

This one machine currently has:

2 Pentium III 700Mhz 384MB RAM systems running NT4
    23 Systems running Windows XP of various 14 year old processor systems
    2 Servers with Windows 2000 Server
    2 Servers with Windows 2003 Server

The only systems not fault tolerant are the 2 Pentium III systems and one of the XP systems for the robotic automation controls. For the Pentium III systems I have had to mix and match guts to get a working system as they die and parts are scarce. I keep an eye out to what is thrown away and keep extra obsolete parts on hand such as a Pentium 4 2.4Ghz minitower was getting tossed out the one day which use to be a workstation and the 20-pin Power Supply, RAM, and Hard Drive has already been taken from that to keep old hardware running.  ;D

For the past year all workstations have been replaced with new Windows 10 machines and older Pentium 4 and Dual-Core systems that ran XP are being shipped out on pallets to be scrubbed and scrapped.

It will be nice when engineering sends us new systems to run the machinery, hopefully after all bugs worked out with the new code.  ;D

Salmon Trout

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2017, 01:09:43 PM »
    When we had an IT equipment audit, in our server room the guy found a Dell Poweredge server up and running, but not connected to anything. He said it must have been like that for at least 7 years. The 23 workstations at the site are HP SFF machines, 1.8 GHz Core 2 Duo with 2 GB RAM, on a 100 Mbit Lan, running XP mainly for Office 2003. There are some custom apps, and they are all having to be checked for Windows 10 compatibility. I have been asked to spend a day in London, 120 miles away, to confirm that one of them works OK before W10 rollout in March 2018. A nice little trip because I will be on the clock from the time I leave home in the morning, to when I get home again, 12 hours time credit plus meals allowance. I can take the credit as time off later. We are getting new workstations, don't know what tthey are yet. My job is in financial governance, but because I am not scared of IT I get to do a lot of stuff that I really should not. For example, we are strictly not allowed to move a PC or printer from one desk to another. We have to get the Government's outsourced IT providers to make a chargeable technician visit to do it. 3 to 5 working days turnround time. Well, what do think we do? We were quoted 450 UK pounds to relocate a big laser printer from one end of the office to the other. I looked in the server room and found a box of ethernet cables, including one 30 ft long. The printer fitted on the trolley we use for bringing stuff from the store room.
    « Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 01:27:12 PM by Salmon Trout »

DaveLembke

Sage
    « Reply #10 on: November 26, 2017, 01:23:31 PM »
     ;D Thanks for sharing Salmon. My work has similar what you can and cant do etc. I'm an Electronics Technician that is suppose to have the IT Department send someone out to do stuff and if its simple like your situation etc, just do what you need to do. There is an IT guy that I try not to step on his toes. He seems ok with the minor stuff for me to do even though its not my job. I have even had to redirect wiring in punch panels which also isn't my job but the people here know that i have a degree in IT and worked as a system admin before working here, as well as have dealt with telecommunications systems, so my boss allows me to get into the IT stuff to get stuff working etc when it would be a few days before someone would come to work on it or contracted out.

Whats really fun is when a contractor shows up to add something and they are like a deer in headlights when it comes to patch panel and punching in or redirecting a punch to a different Cat5e or Cat6 cable. I then am helping them do what they should know how to do to get the job done, but no extra pay for it unless I run into overtime. One guy I said how about I teach you how to wire this up and instructed the contractor who should have known how to do this how to do this as he was paid to do it and had no clue as well as didnt even have the punch tool, so i got out my own, but in leaving our site he now knew how to punch down 8 wires into the block for the patch panel and then add a patch cable to patch panel and switch.  ::)

The funny thing is that his boss was there overseeing this project and wanted to hire me on. I grinned and said I doubt you could afford my salary. He asked how much. I said my current salary is $68,700 plus overtime + very good benefits. The contractors boss got silent I think was really hoping he could head hunt me. But I might make more than him.  ;D

Salmon Trout

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2017, 01:34:22 PM »
    When we get a new staff member we have to get them granted permissions to various folders on a network server. For example \\blabla\something\apple\bread\cake\dog\egg. The database she needs is in egg, but you have to make separate permission requests for something, apple, bread, cake, dog, and egg. We used to be able to just do the whole thing in one chargeable request, now it is six. Outsoourcing, don't you love it?

DaveLembke

Sage
    « Reply #12 on: November 26, 2017, 02:03:21 PM »
    Outsourcing is bad news for workers and somehow works out good for investors and ROI figures. I was very fortunate to get my current Electronics Job in 2009 when most electronics jobs were outsourced and have left the USA where they can pay people a fraction of a US employee do do the same job and no benefits etc. I've been laid off a few times already from outsourcing.  ::)

However when you see waste in the fact that it could be done by yourself locally and they have all sorts of other people involved, I am not quite sure how that was a smart move; however if no one was on site that could do a job and it was cheaper to occasionally have a contractor come in vs having a salary employee on the books because they only need the equivalent of  8 hours a week of this skill, then I suppose that might make sense. But that contractor should be able to deal with it quickly and not take days.

Our issue with it taking days to get stuff taken care of at times to where I step in and just do it when able to without getting into hot water with my boss on board with what I am about to do, is say something broke on Friday at 5pm. That IT person works only Monday thru Friday. So the problem sits until Monday Morning, however the business itself runs 24/7/365 and so its cost cutting to only have people here weekdays, but not beneficial to the company when you need someone on an issue immediately. One example being our telephones all went down. I ended up going into the room that has all the servers and telecommunication equipment and found a battery backup had died. No one else here would have known to look for that and how to fix it. So I got the phone system back up and running after it had been down for about an hour, but a business having no phones for a few days at the mercy of a contractor or IT person who might not be able to get to it for a few days is almost unheard of, but could have been the situation if I didnt step in and troubleshoot it and get the power to the equipment moved over to a healthy battery backup from stock that was intended for machinery.

The other thing i have to be careful of is that if I do someone elses job and its a union employee that makes all sorts of problems to where they can grieve for pay for work I did and all that and my hand slapped after the pat on the back praise for getting the business back up and running etc.  ::) I always have my boss on board with touchy work in which someone might have a problem with me saving the day.  ;D Additionally you never know if your circumventing someones game trying to prove a point in that there is a need for a person to be in this position on site, because one employee who shouldnt be doing this work just happens to have the skill set to save the day so that the business doesnt feel the sting and fallout of 3 days of no telephones.  ::)

Salmon Trout

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2017, 03:50:26 PM »
    Dave, you are right where I am on this... there is getting the job done, and on top of that, the office and organisation politics and having to cover your a$$ six ways, and senior management who take the credit for your good work and dump the blame on you for their mistakes, and hear your suggestions, turn them down, and then 1 hour later put them forward as their own ideas. tell me about it.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #14 on: November 26, 2017, 03:59:33 PM »
    + 1111
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "