Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Fre Gov Cell Phones. My Review.  (Read 9195 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Fre Gov Cell Phones. My Review.
« on: May 25, 2016, 01:46:02 PM »
This is a review of a website.
http://www.freegovernmentcellphones.net/
Of course you can do a Google search on the topic and find dozens if not hundreds of websites that are telling you about the free government phones here in the United States.
The fact that the government phones are well-received is easy to understand. Many people have a real need for a free cell phone that they can use to look for work or make appointments or just contact relatives.

But it was a mild surprise to find out there are many, many very tiny companies that are participating in this free cell phone program. So I recommend this website as being possibly the best source of information about the free cell phone program. Of course, you'll want to search around and find information from other websites also. But this website is really a one-stop shopping mall for the best deals on free government phones.

The free phone system requires you to stick with one company for a one-year. So you may want to check ahead of time about what policies the companies have about lost or stolen cell phones. Some of the companies will let you replace a lost or stolen cell phone for just $20.
Be aware that this website also has quite a bit of commercial advertising. But it is a kind of advertising that is directed toward the audience. Some offer cheap  phone plans from some of the major companies. So if you don't qualify for the free phone, this website is still a resource for the advertisements about low-cost cell phone plans.
 Some states have added onto the federal standards and have imposed some more requirements of the free cell phone companies. In California the free data is now set at 500 MB instead of the previous 100 MB. So, you need to check to see if your mobile phone company is using the California plan to give you more free data.
Again, the full name of the website is:
http://www.freegovernmentcellphones.net/
Take a look. A lot of interesting information.
(This was done from dictation and there may be some strange grammar.)

plodr

Beginner

• Experience: Familiar
    Re: Fre Gov Cell Phones. My Review.
    « Reply #1 on: August 04, 2016, 10:45:06 AM »
    One caveat: they don't vet the phones they hand out. This should be done especially if an older person is to receive the phone.

My sister-in-law, who is 78 and not the least bit computer literate got a free cellphone because she is on food stamps and Medicaid. Unfortunately, the phone is small with tiny buttons. She can't use it. It is just too hard for a senior citizen with vision problems and not great manual dexterity. As a result, after my husband called and worked through setting it up for her, she doesn't use it. She also locked it and didn't write down the code so I don't think she can even receive calls. (She can't afford a land line phone).

Senior citizens should actually been given bigger phones with larger buttons.

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    « Reply #2 on: August 04, 2016, 04:39:28 PM »
    You comment is valid.
    First, you can call 611 on the phone and talk to the support people for the carrier. If the support is not to your liking, you can request that they free phone contract should be transferred to another company.
    you may like to read this article from the New York Times:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/28/us/a-lifeline-for-the-poor-free-phone-service-faces-legal-battle.html
    Also:
    http://ageinplace.com/technology/free-phone-for-seniors/
    Special phones for thee elderly do not have to be costly:
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/nextavenue/2015/06/17/3-must-have-cell-phones-for-seniors/#dede98c72fd1

There is a way to get a free phone and then get a better cheap phone with big buttons. Then have them make t work with the number that was assigned to the free phone.  If thee is a Metro PCS  store in your area, just drop in and chat with them. Sometimes the sale people will give out free advice. Metro PCS is part of T-mobile and They have a free phone service under another name, TAG mobile.
    I bought a nice phone on-line and ordered a new SIM card from TAG for a modest cost. My monthly bill is still $0.00 for normal service.

plodr

Beginner

• Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #3 on: August 05, 2016, 04:49:10 PM »
      Unfortunately, my sister-in-law can't be bothered doing this. Her usual response is either "I don't have the time" or "It is too much trouble". It then falls on my husband. (Her three children can't be bothered to help her). In fact, one of her sons bought her a Kindle for her birthday. Of course she can't figure out how to get it to work. Money would have been more useful to her.

I'm also not willing to learn how to set up a Kindle (she has no internet access) and then try to teach her what to do. That would mean me driving back and forth to her apartment to get the device, figure it out, then hoping once I show her what to do she doesn't call me daily to drive over and show her again. She doesn't live close and the traffic close to where she lives is always gridlock.

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #4 on: August 05, 2016, 09:21:57 PM »
      The government Phone program does not have tutorials for the elderly. The common adage is to let grandchild help.. A grandchild has to be in the range of 5 to 8 years of age with average IQ.   For very high IQ, about 3 years old will do.  :P

Also, siblings often do better then in laws for teaching smartphone methods. I aim sure I have much better knowledge, but i twas my sister-in-laws ghat taught my wife, (Her sister) while visiting  here for about five days. (I was not present.)

Sorry, I am just telling the facts.