Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: format difficulties.....  (Read 4381 times)

ppsathas

format difficulties.....
« on: November 24, 2005, 09:42:50 PM »
i want to format my C drive. Now it has me choose wether under a menu that says "File system" either NTFS or FAT32. NTFS is already chosen. Then there are two empty check boxes which read "Quick Format" and "Enable COmpression". I leave those two blank and press "start" Then it says that windows cannot format this drive. It tells me to quit any windows which display its contents and for me to try again. HOwever Ive quit all windows and the problem still persists..

*censored* U BILL GATES, for ur incomplete operating system with so many holes that ur own computer is a bigger hassle than hackers!

GX1_Man

Re: format difficulties.....
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2005, 10:43:47 PM »
If it's over a 32 gig  drive it chooses NTFS automatically. If it is less you get a choice. (Speaking from experience here.)

Mystik1982

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2005, 07:56:56 AM »
It won't let you format it because you are using it.  You can't format the C drive if it's in use.  And since you sound like all you did was right click and chose format, I'd say it's a safe bet to say you were logged into the computer.

Ok so the solution.  Click the start button, and then select RUN.  Type in CMD.  Ok next you have to use the convert command.

Type this:

convert c: /FS:NTFS

then hit enter.  Now it should ask you for a volume label if you have one.  Type it in and hit enter.  The volume label is found by, opening my computer and right clicking on the c drive, then select properties.  There's a section there that says label.  If there's something there that's what you type in.  If the box is blank then it shouldn't prompt you for a label.

Ok it may ask you for a new label and if does you can put whatever you like in there.  It's going to tell you that it will do the conversion the next time you start your computer, select yes.  Restart and let it convert.

Done.

Good luck.

Mystik1982

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2005, 08:08:43 AM »
It won't let you format it because you are using it.  You can't format the C drive if it's in use.  And since you sound like all you did was right click and chose format, I'd say it's a safe bet to say you were logged into the computer.  What operating system do you have?

Ok so the solution.  Do you have the operating systems CD?  If so boot to that and you can format from there.  If it's windows 2000 then you need to make the 4 boot disks if you don't have the CD.  That way you can boot with them and run the format.  I'm not sure you can make bootable floppies in XP, I've never tried.    

The reason that you can't format your C drive the other way is because your desktop is open and that's a part of the C drive.  It would be under c:\documents and settings\USERNAME\desktop

That's what window is open that you need to close, that's why it wouldn't work, and since you can't close your desktop you have to do one of the other methods.

Good luck.

Mac

Format difficulties.....
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2005, 08:21:12 AM »
I would like to format my C: drive. It has me choose, under a menu that says "File system", either NTFS or FAT32. NTFS is already chosen.

Then there are two empty check boxes which read "Quick Format" and "Enable Compression". I leave those two blank and press "start".

Then it says that Windows cannot format this drive. It tells me to quit any windows which display its contents and for me to try again. However I have quit all windows and the problem still persists.

You cannot format drive C: from drive C: as it is active, or in use.

To format this drive boot to the XP Recovery Console and run...

format c: /fs:ntfs

Where fs = file system.