Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: DriverAgentPlus  (Read 5779 times)

PierceB

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    DriverAgentPlus
    « on: February 26, 2018, 12:25:25 PM »
    I recently installed driveragentplus to see if I had out of date drivers, which I do. Although in device manager it says they are up to date, I have read that I should get the drivers from the manufacturer's site. Driveragentplus says my graphics card had a new update in 2016 but I'm using a 2015 driver. I cannot find this "2016" driver anywhere and was hoping you guys could help. I even tried reinstalling the drivers from the manufacterers site.
    My graphics card is (integrated) AMD Radeon 8570d.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: DriverAgentPlus
    « Reply #1 on: February 26, 2018, 01:23:29 PM »
    I would avoid using that software. Drivers are generally set it and forget it. As long as they work without any problems ... No need to update!

Only gamers really update drivers and its to have the latest video card drivers as part of bug fixes as well as better video card performance and sometimes even additional shaders etc added to push a GPU harder to generate a better visual experience. On this subject I have even seen people intentionally use an older driver because it performs better, and a newer driver slows performance as the chip manufacturer decides to slow it some to get a video card to run cooler whereas original or older drivers may have pushed the GPU harder=faster and "hotter". And a gamer who wants maximum performance at the risk of a cooked GPU may chose to run the older driver to have maximum frame rate ( especially if the video card is still covered by warranty which is the perfect time to run it hard and break it to which if you cook it you pretend you didnt know you needed a newer driver to avoid melt down and they replace it for just the cost of shipping to send the card back RMA for replacement. )

Mark.

Adviser
    • Forum Regular
      • Yes
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: February 26, 2018, 01:27:40 PM »
    I personally would recommend uninstalling that driver agent plus piece of software at your earliest opportunity.
    at best, I have only seen those sort of programs make things worse and at worst, infect your system with malware.
    I classify them all as nothing more than snake oil pedlars.

as to drivers, just let Windows Updates get them for you naturally through the automated process.
    or if you want to manually push that along, go to the manufactures website and get the drivers straight from the source.

if the manufacture, in your case, has no "2016" driver, than there isn't one - and another example of mis-information by these stupid driver assist programs.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #3 on: February 26, 2018, 01:52:09 PM »
    Going to agree with the sentiments so far. "Driver update" software is useless because the concept of keeping your drivers updated isn't entirely relevant. There isn't really a such thing as an "out of date" driver- It either works, or it doesn't. And having the latest versions largely just means you also have the latest bugs.

It is likely the 2016 indication is referencing the "Radeon Software Crimson Edition Beta" software which dates from 2016. It is a Beta Driver package. The last non-beta version of their driver suite that works with that Graphics APU is from 2015.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #4 on: February 26, 2018, 02:18:12 PM »
    Agree.
    Each manufacture takes irresponsibility to provide update information about the motherboard used in a specific model.