Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows 10 Upgrade Hangs  (Read 10644 times)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Windows 10 Upgrade Hangs
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2016, 10:46:40 PM »
Reference? Your EULA or mine?

For Retail, The License/Key gives you permission to run one copy of the licensed OS on one PC at one time (including installing on a partition, it indicates that).

When you Upgrade to Windows 10, the original Key gets "used" as part of this process; that is, the WIndows 10 license rolls in the original license key. This is the same as previous Windows Upgrades; If you used the Windows 95 upgrade to install Windows 95, you weren't supposed to use the Windows 3.1 install that you upgraded as it was considered part of the license for Win95; so you'd have to uninstall that version first to "release" the license.

Same for upgrading Win7, 8, or 8.1. A Copy of Windows 10 that was upgraded from a previous version of Windows is "using" the original key, so using that key again- either for a new installation of the original OS or in a dual boot, violates the EULA, as it only gives you a license to install once.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2016, 01:40:08 PM »
violates the EULA, as it only gives you a license to install once.
I have read the recent EULA for Windows 10 and don't see anything like that.

But if that means I can not dual boot with windows 7 and the window 10 begot  from my windows 7, then why has MS given me some kind of warring that my key is not valid on at least one of the two? How can I find out if I am in violation of the present EULA for Windows 10?

EDIT: Seems PC world tried to answer that question. But after reading the article I still don't get it.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/3050502/windows/you-can-dual-boot-windows-7-with-windows-10-but-theres-a-catch.html

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2016, 03:29:25 PM »
I have read the recent EULA for Windows 10 and don't see anything like that.
The License files are available on any install of Windows 10. They are in C:\Windows\Syswow64\Licenses\_Default. (the folders therein depend on the edition of Windows 10). The Windows 7/8/8.1 licenses are available similarly (license.rtf).

For Win7/8/8.1, the license effectively gives the user the ability to install and use the software on a single device at any given time. (Section 2a)

A Windows 10 upgrade uses that original license key. Therefore a Windows 10 install upgraded from Windows 7, 8, or 8.1, is using that license under the terms of the original agreement and installing the original version of Windows using that same license is in violation of the EULA by using it twice. This is in contrast to a retail installation which does have the option to upgrade but does not make use of the original license key.

But if that means I can not dual boot with windows 7 and the window 10 begot  from my windows 7
It doesn't mean you can't. It means you aren't supposed to.

then why has MS given me some kind of warring that my key is not valid on at least one of the two?
It is not Microsoft responsibility to ensure you adhere to the terms of the EULA. Their current measures are intended to curb rampant piracy like somebody using the same key on 20 different systems. Right now you can do it with about 3 PCs before it stops activating the same key on different systems, for example; doesn't mean it's fine under the EULA to install it on 3 systems.

How can I find out if I am in violation of the present EULA for Windows 10?
You would be violating both the Win10 license as well as the license of the original OS.

FWIW, I don't care either way, but you basically said it was above-board on the basis  that you were able to do it, which doesn't logically follow. That's the same logic that got me banned from the petting zoo.

Luigi master

Rookie

• I'm a pretty good coder, but not the best.
    • Luigi master
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2016, 07:09:17 PM »
BC_Programmar, I'm pretty sure they removed it.
But still, I can check.
It's called "MediaCreationTool" directly from the ms website.

EDIT:
Directly from the Microsoft website:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
Just click "Download tool now"
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 07:20:26 PM by Luigi master »
I have a website so yeah
vvvvvvresource.byethost6.com

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2016, 07:21:57 PM »
That has nothing to do with the details of the EULA which BC was illustrating...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2016, 08:44:30 PM »
The EULA for windows 10 is on the Microsoft web site and anybody can read it.  The questions people ask are about things beyond the obvious. he fact that Microsoft provides a download for its software does not mean you can steal it. That should be oviparous.  Continuous use of the software requires compliance with the license terms.Telling others it is free when it is not is wrong.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Useterms/Retail/Windows/10/UseTerms_Retail_Windows_10_English.htm
ZNET claims MS has changed the EULA. But first read the EULA  before you read anything ZNET says. 
Here is a detail:
  The software includes Adobe Flash Player that is licensed under terms from Adobe Systems Incorporated at (aka.ms/adobeflash). Adobe and Flash are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Adobe Systems Incorporated in the United States and/or other countries.
But that does not change the fundamental terms of the license.  :)

Luigi master

Rookie

• Luigi master
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2016, 05:10:00 AM »
That has nothing to do with the details of the EULA which BC was illustrating...
You could also post a direct link to where that file can be acquired from Microsoft, though it's likely the file they are already using which was causing the original hang. If the file you want to provide isn't available from Microsoft, then I would question it's legitimacy. Being able to post a virustotal report is meaningless.
So I posted that website.
I have a website so yeah

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2016, 07:33:40 AM »
To clarify, Microsoft allows you to download the ISO, which is not an.exe file. There are a number of programs that ca make the ISO into a DVD or a USB.
When you install, you can choose to install l on unused space on the hard drive.  Prepare some space on the hard drive before  you r start.

Many users, myself included, prefer to do a clean install on a new partition rather than attempt to directly install over Windows 7. Microsoft's rules allow some freedom in how you install Windows 10. You have reasonable period of time to decide which OS is best for you.

Important:Nobody is  allowed to install Windows  7 on one PC and Windows 10 on another if the Windows 10 is an upgrade to one copy of Windows 7. See the EULA for details.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2016, 09:14:48 AM »
To clarify, Microsoft allows you to download the ISO, which is not an.exe file.

They provide an executable, which can either upgrade the installed OS or be used to create ISO installation media.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2016, 09:59:29 AM »
They provide an executable, which can either upgrade the installed OS or be used to create ISO installation media.
Who are 'they'? Microsoft? Please give link.

The MS media creation tool is only 17 NB, no enough to contain the ISO.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2016, 10:02:50 AM »
***sigh***...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Luigi master

Rookie

• Luigi master
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2016, 12:15:53 PM »
Are you serious

I have been posting about this for awhile.

Sorry for being rude, I have had a rough day.
Anyways, look at my second to last reply in this thread.
There is an exe on the Microsoft site.
I have a website so yeah

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2016, 12:20:38 PM »
Gone completely off the rails...

Topic Closed.