Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: USB ports connecting and reconnecting constantly with some games  (Read 2808 times)

BusterWD

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Hi, I have never had this problem before a few days ago, when I open some games, most but not all of USB ports disconnect and reconnect, I used to be able to play them without any trouble but now my headset, mouse and keyboard all disconnect and reconnect constantly. Is there a way to fix this?
    Thanks

Ipadmasterman

Starter

• Experience: Expert
      Re: USB ports connecting and reconnecting constantly with some games
      « Reply #1 on: June 17, 2016, 03:44:03 PM »
      Have You Updated your drivers and are you using a usb hub/extension.\

~Ipadmasterman

BusterWD

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2016, 05:12:19 PM »
        I've updated my drivers and don't use a hub/splitter

DaveLembke

Sage
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        « Reply #3 on: June 19, 2016, 06:00:43 AM »
        This could be a sign that your power supply has a weak voltage level. It could dip enough that your system doesnt reboot, but it causes the USB BUS power to dip and drop out.

My suggestion on this is to swap out the power supply with another known good power supply. When you play video games, they draw more power, this quick dip in voltage as the load increases can be enough to disconnect the USB BUS power and cause it to regain and connect again after the quick swing in current draw.

Other fact is what do you have connected to your USB?, and any phone charger cords with devices powered off of the USB port charging, as well as PC speakers that are driven off of USB only or anything else that will cause a heavy draw on the USB BUS power... such as coffee cup warmer or Fan or any other unnecessary accessory drawing power?

BusterWD

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2016, 05:51:09 AM »
          I have got another higher watt power supply sat in my old PC, should I swap them out and give that a go maybe?  I have a network adapter, USB keyboard and mouse, headset, iPod charger which I typically only use when I'm watching something not playing games, and a PS4 controller charger cable, which I use to play with a controller in certain games and doubles up as a phone charger, but again I don't use it much in games.  Thanks.

DaveLembke

Sage
          • Certifications: List
          • Computer: Specs
          « Reply #5 on: June 21, 2016, 11:18:18 AM »
          Try games with just the bare minimum USB items attached. Not to be charging devices at the same time and see what happens. If you have to much on a USB bus you can overload it. A video game running would load down the power supply heavier and cause a dip in the 5 volts. If the case is a cheap case with cheap USB connections to the front panel then any devices connected to the front panel could drop out. All devices plugged directly to the motherboards USB connections direct in the back should never drop out. If they do then the power supply is suspect of the cause especially when nothing is loading down the USB bus power by much at the time that a game starts or runs. If its only a specific game that causes this issue then it could be a conflict of some kind, but if more than 1 game gives the same results and you have bare minimum USB devices connected, then I would say the power supply is highly suspect of being the problem here. Its good you have a system to borrow power supply from to test this out.