Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can I get my files from my old computer?  (Read 5111 times)

JackCatalano

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Experience: Familiar
    Can I get my files from my old computer?
    « on: June 25, 2016, 10:37:17 PM »
    I had a desktop computer which shut down. My memory board was broken. Now have a 9 inch tablet. Is there anyway I can retrieve my old files from my old computer? I know that my tablet doesn't have enough juice to retrieve all my old files but could my tablet handle a few files? Would it be better if I had a laptop?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Can I get my files from my old computer?
    « Reply #1 on: June 25, 2016, 11:23:51 PM »
    Simple answer is not. But  wait,  here is more to consider.

Photos, videos and documents can be moved from any computer to a tablet with some limits. But programs do not do well when transferred from one device to another. Bedsides the issue of screen size, there is the touch screen problem.

Then there is the code problem. Tablets computers have much different code that other computers. So do not expect a nice program from your computer to work on your tablet.  The good news is that tablets computers can get programs for a much lower cost, or even free.

strollin

Adviser
      • Yes
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #2 on: June 26, 2016, 06:12:20 AM »
    You could buy an external drive case, remove the hard drive from the old computer and put it in the external case.  Would need more info about your old computer in order to advise what case you needed and such.  You'll want a case with it's own power supply.  Post back with the make and model of your old computer.

What type of tablet do you have?  Is it an iPad, Android or Windows tablet?  Post the make and model of the tablet so we can advise on how you could transfer and use some of the files such as documents, pictures or videos on your tablet.  There really isn't any limitation on "data" files other than your tablet probably won't have enough storage space to accommodate all of your files at one time.  You could leave them on the external and access them from the tablet.  The tablet having a touch interface does not represent a limitation in anyway as to which data files you can access.  Programs won't be able to be transferred.  If the old computer was running Windows and the tablet is running Windows, you could re-install your programs on the tablet but, as a general rule, programs cannot be transferred from one computer to another. 

JackCatalano

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2016, 07:49:23 AM »
      It's a 9 inch Polaroid Android tablet. Before I post the model number etc., where would that be located because I can't find it.

Also, do you think that transferring files from an old computer to a laptop would be better considering a laptop has more room?

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #4 on: June 26, 2016, 07:53:19 AM »
      Also, do you think that transferring files from an old computer to a laptop would be better considering a laptop has more room?

Yes.  Plus if you invest in an external HDD enclosure you can always utilise that HDD for extra storage...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

JackCatalano

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2016, 07:58:21 AM »
        Would a Chromebook be ok as well?

strollin

Adviser
          • Yes
        • Experience: Guru
        « Reply #6 on: June 27, 2016, 07:46:59 AM »
        A Chromebook would work but they don't generally have much in the way of storage either.  Regardless, you will need an enclosure for the hard drive from your old computer.  What is the make and model of your old computer?  Need that info in order to advise which external enclosure you would need.  More than likely, you need an enclosure for a 2.5" SATA drive but, depending on how old that laptop is, it may be a PATA drive.