Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows Media Player & Avast issues (please help)  (Read 12140 times)

AlwaysScrewed

Topic Starter

Intermediate

Re: Windows Media Player & Avast issues (please help)
    « Reply #45 on: July 15, 2016, 04:56:12 PM »
    After meeting with Geek Squad at my local Best Buy store...

I am 99.9% sure it's hardware related. Plus, it's a 6 year old laptop that they don't make parts for anymore. Therefore making it unrepairable.

Which is why it's good a bought a completely new laptop.

I refuse to mark this as 'resolved' until I get the new laptop set up.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #46 on: July 15, 2016, 05:11:15 PM »
    I am 99.9% sure it's hardware related.
    The symptoms  do not point to a hardware issue. They are too specific to particular pieces of software for that to be the case, I think.

Plus, it's a 6 year old laptop that they don't make parts for anymore. Therefore making it unrepairable.

If it was a hardware issue, It would be an issue on one of the system boards, and would likely be any of a number of components that can be easily found at a hardware store (Capacitor, transistor, etc.) "Geek Squad" doesn't do component-level board repair, though, and typically do not have the expertise needed to even determine that the issue is with a component in this fashion.

A new laptop would likely have Win10 which won't have Windows Media Player, if that matters.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

AlwaysScrewed

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2016, 08:43:01 AM »
      The symptoms  do not point to a hardware issue. They are too specific to particular pieces of software for that to be the case, I think.

If it was a hardware issue, It would be an issue on one of the system boards, and would likely be any of a number of components that can be easily found at a hardware store (Capacitor, transistor, etc.) "Geek Squad" doesn't do component-level board repair, though, and typically do not have the expertise needed to even determine that the issue is with a component in this fashion.

A new laptop would likely have Win10 which won't have Windows Media Player, if that matters.

Well restoring it to factory settings didn't fix the issue. That means it's hardware related. Tell me what the problem is then. Because I've tried EVERYTHING when I feel like I'm dealing with an unrepairable laptop.

What does Windows 10 have then if not Windows Media Player? How are you supposed to play music on Windows 10?

zep516

Rookie

• Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #48 on: July 16, 2016, 11:05:01 AM »
        Sadly, WMP hasn’t been updated since Windows 7, which doesn’t mean it doesn’t work, but it’s not exactly the latest nor greatest app for playing your MP3s.

In Windows 10, there’s a new music app called Groove Music.

Google "Groove Music"   without quotes.

To find WMP in win 10, click Start and type: media player and select it from the results at the top.

Alternately, you can right-click the Start button to bring up the hidden quick access menu and choose Run or use the keyboard shortcut Windows Key+R. Then type: wmplayer.exe and hit Enter.

Note: Microsoft removed DVD playback support back in Windows 8, so you won’t be able to use WMP for them. However, there are plenty of third-party utilities (hint: VLC)

Manners are the basis of a civilized society and make everyone's lives just a little happier. They cost nothing but they are worth so much

AlwaysScrewed

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2016, 03:29:57 PM »
          Posting this from new laptop.

I see. Well I'm getting a definitive answer from ASUS I will be sending it to them and we'll see what they say.