Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: ...Dell...  (Read 10775 times)

Flame

Topic Starter

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
...Dell...
« on: November 26, 2005, 02:39:20 PM »
Well, this is my first Dell problem... My mom has a Dell laptop that is about 3-4 years old, and it started getting blue screens... Well... We took it in for a RAM upgrade, but now it won't turn on... So.. We went back to teh shop, and they said that it's probably the MOTHERBOARD that is going dead... So we might need ot buy a whole new computer now... The point of this message... Dell computers work well, but are cheaply made... So if a hardware flaw comes up, then you're screwed... Toshiba will be our next system IF we are forced to buy a new one... Take heed to this warning...

[glb]Flame[/glb]

merlin_2

Re: ...Dell...
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2005, 02:54:08 PM »
Its a software problem........not a hardware problem.....load win98se on it......

Flame

Topic Starter

• Prodigy

• Yes
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2005, 02:56:26 PM »
No sir. Not even the old sticks work now. Oh well... hey, you called it Merlin. You were the first to say that a Dell would have porblems (for me) lol  Also, if I can't plug-in the laptop into the AC Adapter, then how am I supposed to reformat? lol  That's ok. We won't reformat anyway.

[glb]Flame[/glb]

Hopester Doofus

Adviser

• Hope-ing To Help
    « Reply #3 on: November 26, 2005, 03:15:55 PM »
    Dell laptops are among the best going, but you have to stick with the Latitude line. We have about 150 deployed throughout our organization, and I can count on one hand how many of them have come back in the past 12 months.
    There’s no limit to what you can achieve if you don’t mind who gets the credit.

merlin_2

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2005, 03:18:15 PM »
    How do we know the old sticks,<ram.> dont work we it does not power up/?i can call myself what i wish......freedom of speech.......i would say the laptop,has had it.......as most of the tech world,is use it and dump it......dell no comment.......

Flame

Topic Starter

• Prodigy

• Yes
    « Reply #5 on: November 26, 2005, 03:27:19 PM »
    We tried both the new 512 stick and both of the old 64 sticks... The laptop only reads 64 MB. We've tried everything, but it's not working. I think it's gone too, but she doens't want to admit it, because for one, she doesn't think so (but I do) that Dell ripped her off... She paid $1,250 for it, and it's NOTHING. The main specs are 128 MB RAM, Windows XP (no SP2 becuase SP2 came out after it was made), Integrated video & sound, processor is not coming to mind now becuase I didn't build the computer. If I would have built it, things would be fine lol

EDIT: Let me rephrase the message that Merlin replied to... It boots with whatever battery is left, but it does the (I think 3) beeps. The technician said that was bad RAM, but after the beeps came a "squack" sound... Not good... Numerous RAM sticks were tried, and none really worked, so it's the M-Board.

[glb]Flame[/glb]
    « Last Edit: November 26, 2005, 03:29:16 PM by flame »

merlin_2

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2005, 04:36:06 PM »
    Replace the old ram sticks?

info link;>http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm#7

Flame

Topic Starter

• Prodigy

• Yes
    « Reply #7 on: November 26, 2005, 05:58:21 PM »
    Already tried.

[glb]Flame[/glb]

GX1_Man

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2005, 06:32:44 PM »
    As Doofus said, the Latitudes are the good ones and always have been. They are well built and last forever. I have an old CPxJ with a PII processor that gets 3-4 hours service a day with never a problem, and an older PII-233 that gets close to that time.

Inspirons are more cheaply made, but the thing to remember with laptops is that they are only as good as your warranty, for sure. If a screen goes out, it costs more to replace than to get a new lappy. There is only minimal prevention and service you can provide as an enduser also. I don't believe the Inspirons are worse than HP's Compaq's, IBM's etc. in the same price range, and I would never even consider one of the lesser brands - Averatec, etc.

Flame

Topic Starter

• Prodigy

• Yes
    « Reply #9 on: November 26, 2005, 07:33:21 PM »
    I would never even consider one of the lesser brands - Averatec, etc.

or Acer lol

[glb]Flame[/glb]