Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: SQL server error 40 not allowing me to use any Web browser.  (Read 4622 times)

zzADRiANzz

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Forgive me if this post is in the wrong place, I couldn't think of a better one. Yesterday I got on my pc and an error showed up saying "A network-related or instance specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL server" "(provider: Named Pipes Provider, error 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)." Along with other things but I think that is the most important part. I had never heard of these SQL servers but after doing some research the most common thing people would say is to make sure my SQL browser servers were running and to go through some steps to turn them one, one of which was through the command prompt which didn't work. Another was to just find it in my program files but the only things in there were 2 folders 1 titled "Microsoft SQL Server" and one titled "Microsoft SQL Server Compact Edition" and I couldn't find anything useful in there.  I'm thinking somehow something got deleted on my computer so I don't have the SQL server browser anymore but I'm not sure. If anyone knows about the SQL servers and could maybe help that would be greatly appreciated. I should also add that my computer does say I am connected to my Internet and I am even able to open Steam and chat with friends but not able to open the steam store, and also I'm on Windows 10 and have been for a while now.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: SQL server error 40 not allowing me to use any Web browser.
    « Reply #1 on: July 03, 2016, 03:38:51 PM »
    Have you run an extensive virus scan with an up to date antivirus and ran the free or paid for malwarebytes to ensure your system didnt get hit with anything? Are you able to use a restore point to go back to a time when your system didnt have this issue?

It sounds like corruption or infection in your system with the browser. Steam client works because its working through its own services that are not browser dependent.