Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can I use Dban?  (Read 2332 times)

bobhlgh

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Experience: Beginner
    Can I use Dban?
    « on: July 03, 2016, 01:53:24 PM »
    My  computer has enough problems that I don't want to ask an expert to take the time to solve them.  Can I use Dban to wipe my computer clean and then  reinstall Windows 7.  I would have to buy a Windows 7 disk but that would be cheaper than using a repair shop to fix all my problems.    Is my reasoning correct or am I missing something?     Bob

camerongray

Expert
      • Yes
      • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Can I use Dban?
    « Reply #1 on: July 03, 2016, 02:20:20 PM »
    DBAN is designed to remove all traces of data for if you are selling or disposing of the machine, you don't need to use it to just reinstall the OS for yourself, just format it from the Windows 7 DVD, way faster than DBAN.

As far as buying the DVD, you can only get it along with a new Windows licence which is incredibly expensive.  You would be better off trying to find a DVD with the same edition of Windows 7 as yours that you can borrow and then use your product key to install it.  Alternatively if you don't mind moving to 10 at the same time, you should be able to create a Windows 10 install DVD and use your Windows 7 product key with this: http://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-10-media-creation-tool-create-installation-media-upgrade.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: July 03, 2016, 03:03:58 PM »
    If he has the window 7 product key he can download the Windows 7 ISO file from Microsoft period after downloading the ISO file he can make it into a bootable DVD and use it to install Windows 7 on his computer. As was said the Windows DVD does a good job of erasing a partition and installing the operating system correctly. The only problem is when the hard disk drive itself has suffered severe damage. Otherwise the DVD is the correct way to install Windows 7. Wipe out his not needed.

bobhlgh

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: July 03, 2016, 06:22:23 PM »
      Hi  -         
      To those who replied  - Thank you.  However I solved my problem before I read your replies.  As a last resort read the manual!!  I did and found out that Lenovo has a program that returns the computer to its orignal.  I did that and now in the prosess of putting my files back. I'm sure you have a better way but I am getting rid of the internet stopping when I'm working!!  Thanks again.     Bob