Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Help w/ front panel  (Read 2755 times)

madcaddies

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    Help w/ front panel
    « on: July 08, 2016, 02:39:35 AM »
    Hi, my old pc stopped working and a tech guy repaired it by replacing my g41d3c with a refurb mb with code 480734-001 related to it. There were no distinct marks on the board telling its model but it says it's from HP and the 480734 came up after a lotta goggling. Nevertheless he also replaced the intel branded fan w/ a generic one which i dont mind at all, and the ddr3s were replaced w/ ddr2s. I just needed to get it up and going due to precious files in it.

I need help with the front panel pins since the tech only pinned the power switch. I need to pin the hdd led, reset and power leds. I can't find an online manual for the mb so if anyone could help it would be appreciated. Thanks

Ps. I'm also getting bsod with the realtek audio so i could use some help with that too  :) i temporarily disabled it just to get things going...AND cmos checksum error just wont go away

camerongray

Expert
      • Yes
      • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Help w/ front panel
    « Reply #1 on: July 08, 2016, 03:38:23 AM »
    I'd be going back to the guy and asking him to do it properly or to give you your money back and go somewhere else - He's clearly just shoved parts from a scrap HP PC into yours in an attempt to fix it (Downgrading the RAM in the process), I hope you haven't paid too much for that "service".  You also can't just move a Windows install to a different type of motherboard without reinstalling it or at least carefully removing the old drivers and reinstalling the appropriate ones, this will be why you are getting the BSODs.  The CMOS checksum errors will be because the old motherboard he's fitted has likely got a dead battery.

Also bear in mind that you don't need to spend a lot of money to get the old PC fixed if all you need are your files, any decent tech can easily copy your files directly from your old hard drive and onto a new PC.

The motherboard appears to be from an HP Compaq DX2710 PC but I can't find the details of the pinout for the front panel header in the manual for that either.

madcaddies

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2016, 07:11:05 AM »
      I'd like to give it a back service but the tech site is far away from home. It was my last resort bc im running out of time for my thesis and related research works are there which are due next week.

Yeah it got downgraded and bit disappointed but i did what i can do to get things up and back in action. I did replace the battery but still had checksum error. I bought a usb soundcard to have sounds again and I also had a clean install on another present hdd so i could finally hook it up on a lab machine im using for research. I just need this for another couple of months then im done with this postgrad mess

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      « Reply #3 on: July 08, 2016, 01:50:44 PM »
      What you have described, you didn't get your computer serviced, you got it stolen and defrauded. The motherboard you have is probably from somebody else's system who brought it in for problems, and your old system board was probably sold (At a profit) to some poor sod as an 'upgrade'.

The only reason they remain in business is because they take advantage of people in situations like yours.
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.