Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Hardware Myths That Never Die.  (Read 3008 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Hardware Myths That Never Die.
« on: July 09, 2016, 04:22:06 PM »
Most of these have been covered here on CH. But I found it interesting that the  How to Geek put together a article reveling the error of these myths.

http://www.howtogeek.com/220297/7-of-the-biggest-pc-hardware-myths-that-just-won%E2%80%99t-die/
7 of the Biggest PC Hardware Myths That Just Won’t Die

Most of the have been covered here on CH. But I found it interesting that the  How to Geek put together a article reveling the error of these myths.

Maybe this is whoat happens. Somebody gts a new CPU, memory or graphics card and it seems the PC runs better. So he tells everybody he can that it is always that way. No, it is not always that way.  :(

Here are the 7 myths  from the link above.

1. More RAM Will Always Speed Up Your PC

2. A CPU With More Cores is Always Faster

3. 64-bit Software is Always Faste

4. You Always Want a Faster CPU and Graphics Card

5. Macs Are Always More Expensive Than PCs

6. Building Your Own PC Will Always Save You Money

7. MAC Address Filtering Helps Keep Your Wi-Fi Secure

But is no tat least one of these always true?   :o

Rater that quoting g the article, perhaps you might wish to give your own response to any or all of the above.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Hardware Myths That Never Die.
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2016, 06:52:26 PM »
Their performance related "myths" should be debunked with actual benchmark data. Take a PC and run synthetic and real-world tests with different amounts of RAM. Do the same with a constant amount of ram switching between two processors with different numbers of cores. Test software available in both 32-bit and 64-bit versions for performance. Instead they are asserting it. If what they say is true, it would be reflected in straightforward, non-biased performance testing, both synthetic and real. Their "debunking" of these myths are no better than the myths themselves, which they've literally made up anyway- they just made some typical considerations slapped in a "Always" and used that strawman as fodder to crap out some more content, which it sounds like from the comments wasn't even properly edited before publishing, well done!

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2016, 06:55:25 PM »
The News editor position is still taking applications...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2016, 07:14:07 PM »
Here is one I like the best:
MAC Address Filtering Helps Keep Your Wi-Fi Secure
The How To Geek is also one promoting the Myth!
http://helpdeskgeek.com/networking/mac-address-filtering/
Securing a WIFI network could be done using several methods and the most common (i.e. WPA and WEP) methods employ a password type of mechanism.  However, I have found that securing a wireless network with just a password is not enough to defeat the very determined hackers.
The article does not say how many hackers he was able to stop. So, you can not dispute his research. There is nothing there to dispute.   ::)

Salmon Trout

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2016, 01:58:53 AM »
The How To Geek is also one promoting the Myth!
http://helpdeskgeek.com/networking/mac-address-filtering
That's not How To Geek, it's Help Desk Geek, which looks like a one-man blog. In fact, HTG debunks the MAC address filtering myth in (yawn) yet another myth list type article, "Don’t Have a False Sense of Security: 5 Insecure Ways to Secure Your Wi-Fi"

http://www.howtogeek.com/132348/dont-have-a-false-sense-of-security-5-insecure-ways-to-secure-your-wi-fi/

« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 02:09:41 AM by Salmon Trout »