Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Excel charts not working  (Read 40233 times)

Dronfieldman

Topic Starter

Beginner

Excel charts not working
    « on: July 09, 2016, 04:35:06 AM »
    Although I have various Excel 2013 spreadsheets which have worked perfectly with associated charts for some length of time, now when I try and open such a spreadsheet, Excel says there's a fault and it can try and repair the file, and then shows the spreadsheet itself but without the associated chart.   Also, when I try and create a chart, using 'Insert', whatever type of chart I pick, it says "Some chart types cannot be combined with other chart types.   Select a different chart type.", even though I've only picked one chart type.   So I am unable to create a chart.   Is anyone able to suggest how I can get around this problem?

pepperson

• Experience: Experienced
      Re: Excel charts not working
      « Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 01:51:13 PM »
      I was having the same issue. I just fixed the problem. I run 365. I went to this site, https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2812744 and downloaded the OffCAT tool. I ran that and found out my version was old. I followed the directions and went to  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/gp/office-2013-365-update and checked my version. I ran this and the problem is fixed.

monicadawson

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #2 on: July 22, 2016, 06:30:17 AM »
        this issue might be related to some third-party software conflicts or corrupted Excel components. I suggest trying to check this issue by starting Excel in safe mode first.

Start the Excel program in safe mode
        ==============
        1.       Click Start, point to All Programs, and then point to Microsoft Office.
        2.        Press and hold the CTRL key, and then click Microsoft Excel.

If the problem does not occur in the safe mode, this issue might be related to some third-party add-ins in the Office program, we can try to disable them. Normally, you could do the following to disable the conflict add-ins in your Excel program:

Disable add-ins
        a.       Click File menu, click Options >  Add-in, click Go button in the Manage: Com-in Add.
        b.      Check if there are any add-ins, clear the checkbox to disable them.
        c.       Close the Office program and restart it.
        d.      Add one check back each time to the list of Add-In, restart the Office program, and repeat the above procedure. Once the issue reappears again, we can determine which add-in causes this problem and then disable it.

However, if the problem persists, please try to repair the Office programs from Add/Remove Programs (Windows XP) or Programs and Features (Windows Vista/Windows 7). Locate the Office program, right click it and choose Change. Then Repair.

If this still does not help, we can try to reinstall the Office program. To completely uninstall the program, you can also follow the steps in this Microsoft Knowledge base article to remove the Office 2007 program first:

How do I uninstall Office 2003, Office 2007 or Office 2010 suites if I cannot uninstall it from Control Panel?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

Then, try to install Office 2007 again and test the results.

Lorraine walsh

Intermediate

• A techie by nature!
          « Reply #3 on: August 18, 2016, 05:08:51 AM »
          try downloading the latest version of the program i think you may be using outdated version.

Dronfieldman

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2016, 06:41:43 AM »
            Thank you for your help, Monica.   In safe mode, I was able to insert the chart.   Then, closing the file and reopening in normal mode, it retained the chart and allowed updates.

brad185

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2017, 08:21:35 AM »
              Although I have various Excel 2013 spreadsheets which have worked perfectly with associated charts for some length of time, now when I try and open such a spreadsheet, Excel says there's a fault and it can try and repair the file, and then shows the spreadsheet itself but without the associated chart.   Also, when I try and create a chart, using 'Insert', whatever type of chart I pick, it says "Some chart types cannot be combined with other chart types.   Select a different chart type.", even though I've only picked one chart type.   So I am unable to create a chart.   Is anyone able to suggest how I can get around this problem?

I had this issue as well.  I had a parenthesis in both the tab name and the file name.  I removed the special character from both the file and tab name and the charting worked.