Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: NES Classic relaunch Nov 11, 2016 with 30 games  (Read 4515 times)

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
NES Classic relaunch Nov 11, 2016 with 30 games
« on: July 17, 2016, 09:45:46 AM »
Looks like Nintendo might actually make a all-in-one 30-game system available similar to the Atari, Sega, and other older game system all-in-one's finally.

In my collection of game systems, I have the original NES and many games, but I dont play it much because its more of a collectors item now. I have a modern Chinese NES Clone (Yobo) system though that plays the older cartridges and so when wanting to play Mario 3 or some other game I will use the clone box to play the games which is top insertion so that you dont need to blow on the games and pray to play them, that it will work without the blue screen flash or garbled pixelated graphics from poor connection between the cartridge and system etc.

It will be nice to play many titles that I enjoy playing in this and then put the original games into safe dry storage. I guess I know what I want to buy myself for Christmas this year.  ;D

http://www.dailydot.com/debug/nintendo-nes-classic-relaunch-date/?fb=gk

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: NES Classic relaunch Nov 11, 2016 with 30 games
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2016, 12:34:20 PM »
I can see the appeal, in particular it's more affordable than most other options (barring PC emulation, which I suppose would be free). I'll probably end up getting one even though it provides me nothing of value as I've got an Everdrive N8.

BTW, I'm pretty sure Blowing on Games is one reason why people have problems with the Original Front-Loader system. Mine still works perfectly- no less reliable than my SNES or N64, and I've never blown in any of my cartridges.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Big R

Greenhorn

• Experience: Familiar
    « Reply #2 on: July 18, 2016, 10:48:39 AM »
    I just found out about this a few days ago. I've been wanting to start collecting retro games but I haven't had the money. The NES was my first console, so I'll probably end up getting it. I'm also lazy and hate having to switch games in and out. I don't think even the new consoles can hold 30 games with how big all of the download sizes are.

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #3 on: July 18, 2016, 01:55:33 PM »
    Yes thats another plus to these all-in-one remake systems not having to swap games.

I am just hoping that the ROMs they use for the games are the actual originals and not a modernized ported version that is different. For the Atari 2600 all-in-one which I think has 40 titles, there are some differences in sound and graphics that stand out so its close to the original but different.

I noticed that Duck Hunt as well as other game titles requiring the gun controller are missing from the list of titles and thats because the original games require a CRT display in order to function properly for hit box detection. On my original NES and Yobo clone my gun wasnt working and I thought the gun was broken. Borrowed a gun controller from a friend and still not working. Held gun to the screen and still missed the ducks when back in teh day as a kid doing this was a way to get crazy scores. I then did research online and found that the way the game detects the hit box on the screen it needs the CRT after glow which LED and LCD displays dont do.

BTW, I'm pretty sure Blowing on Games is one reason why people have problems with the Original Front-Loader system. Mine still works perfectly- no less reliable than my SNES or N64, and I've never blown in any of my cartridges.

Back in the day of the mid to late 1980s it was what just about everyone did and it worked unless someone spit into the cartridge. There were even cleaning kits for the cartridges. My friend had one cleaning kit that i could have sworn was pickle juice based on its smell with a foam tipped stick to wipe down the gold contacts.

Speaking of SNES and N64 .. I still have my SNES and never ever had the contact issue with the top loading of it. I never understood why they went with the insert and push down to spring loaded pins design of the original NES. I thought maybe it was to just be different than all the other systems that were forced insertion to top of game consoles like the Atari systems and others, with Commodore 64 being in the side of keyboard etc. I miss my N64 and if they make a N64 all-in-one system I am hoping they place 007 Golden Eye on the game list of included titles. I loaned the game system to a friend and it got stolen while at his house with all my games and he never paid me for the loss or replaced the system. Ebay is just a few clicks away to replace it, but it would be at my expense and i actually dont play console games as much as I use to. The Playstation 3 that I have I pretty much gave to my daughter to have and I have the 2 other playstations before that in storage. Never bought the XBox because of the ring of death problems people were having and I cant justify paying $50-60 per game title.

I think thats probably one of the reasons why I became a PC Gamer vs Console Gamer is that games are cheaper and almost endless selection of what you can run on the computer with the right Hardware and OS combination vs a console system being locked into limited list of titles and all at a premium of serious cash unless you buy second or 3rd hand games from a rental store or gamestop trade-in's.