Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Is it possible to recover the Hard-disk space utilised by Recovery Disk(D:)?  (Read 4840 times)

Saurabhdua

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Experience: Beginner
    Hello Members!

I have a Windows 8 OS backup on a Pen-drive & mine is a branded PC from HP~ AIO make.

Is it possible to format the entire Hard-drive to reclaim the Space used by Recovery Image desk (D:)?

Can someone please help guide me on how to format an entire Hard-drive (both C: & D:) in context to an HP Desktop environment?

Help will be sincerely appreciated.
    Thank you.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Yes. But not-recommended.
    The recovery partition  is the only way you have to repair your system in the event of a failure. The computer makers now want you to use that recover if ever a major failure makes your computer unusable.
    If you need more storage for your photos and videos, consider these methods:
    A. Use DVD discs to store photos and videos.
    B. Use a cloud service to save your most important information.
    C. Purchase in economic external hard drive for extra storage.

It would be a b ad idea to format our hard drive unless there was something urgent. ;)

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    If you use disc imaging software to create an image of your disc as it currently exists and save that image (and create more images on a regular basis), you do not need the recovery partition. See here: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00810298

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    The link in the above post has this warning:
    note:
    Before making any changes to the recovery program or the partition - or before changing the operating system (OS) - HP recommends that you use the Recovery Manager on the partition to create a personal set of recovery discs. In the event of a failure or software corruption, you can use the recovery discs to return the PC to the original operating condition.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    As Allan stated with good image backups of the system it doesn't matter what HP says...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    The link in the above post has this warning:

That doesn't take into account the use of 3rd party software such as I recommended. Having said that, sure it makes sense to create backup media as an additional resource.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    The OP says he wants more space. That would suggesthe is a new user and does not understand the the best way to get more spaceist to get a new hard drive.
    The post would salso uggest taht the OP is a novice. If that is tgrue, rather than tell him how to format a hard drive he needs to learn about backups and recovery methods. The recovery partion is a esential tool and shouopd not be removed by anew user unless there is a importgant reason to do so.

Example:
    If the new user buys a larger hard drive and lones ti old drive to the new drive hewill have morfe space available.In that case there is no need to format the originaldirve.
    On Amazon, and other places, a 100 pack of DVD discs is about $20.That is enough to make backups of everything the use has . After making backups, hecan redujce the numberof large seldom used files on the hartd drive and free up space.

The purpose of the forum is to help people. That was and still is my intent.   :)

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    All of what you stated is correct....1/2 of it is speculation.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Saurabhdua

Topic Starter

Hopeful

Dear Members!

Thanks for the wholehearted replies! :-)

But kindly let me know on how to BOOT from a USB or a DVD?

I intend to install a LINUX variant alongside my Windows OS, & threfore what steps do I need to follow to accomplish the same?

Secondly, for all those who have recently migrated to Win 10 from Win 8 or 8.1....is it possible for this Group to also backup Win10 on a USB Key?

I have learnt from someone that USB backup of an OS is a one-time process, & therefore who already possess Win 8 backup on a USB...will these be at a "Privilege"  to also backup Win 10 on a USB as a one-time process?

I appreciate your Patience..& suggestions will be sincerely appreciated.

Thank you.

Saurabhdua

Topic Starter

Hopeful

Dear Members!

I would also like to point out that Recovery Image Disks are often characterized by an abundance of CRAPWARE!

In order to unleash the true power of System resources & to experience Win OS in its purest form prompted me to ask for a Credible method to format the entire Hard-Drive & then install Win 8 OS afresh!

During the Sytem BOOT, what Key do I need to constantly press to choose USB/CD/DVD as a first Boot device?

Kindly suggest.