Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: PROBLEM - Wrong Refresh Rate  (Read 4959 times)

Filipe1020

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    PROBLEM - Wrong Refresh Rate
    « on: July 24, 2016, 06:55:55 PM »
    I've stumbled across a really weird and specific issue yesterday, I opened up a game to try it out, but then my screen turned white and I had to turn it off, once I turned it back again, my monitor pops up a message saying that my Refresh Rate was wrong and it gave me it's number (53hz, I believe the original default was 60hz) and after the Windows logo, the screen turned black and I coudn't even reach the user selection screen, neither desktop after that (I use Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit by the way, and my graphics card is the AMD Radeon HD7700)

I did a lot of research to find a solution, turns out it's a software issue, the game somehow changed my refresh rate values and the monitor can't handle it so it turns in to black whenever I go into Normal Mode, but I am able to use the computer just fine in Safe Mode OR when I disable the Video Driver in the Devices Manager screen, but the screen is filled with some strange jaggered lines and colors, but when I boot it into Normal Mode again the screen turns black like I mentioned above, here are a few links showing that similar issue up and how they solved it which is not working for me.
    http://www.online-tech-tips.com/com...ter-changing-your-computers-display-settings/

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers...resh-rate-screen-resolution-black-screen.html

The solution a lot of people had with this issue is by going into VGA Mode (Or Low Resolution Mode) When you press F8 to open up the advanced boot options, the screen can show up again and the video driver can be detected on the Monitor Settings (to reach there press right click, resolution, advanced settings) In there, there is an option to change the refresh rate, but since I only can reach windows into safe mode or disabling the video driver in the normal mode, it won't detect my driver there to change it back to normal, neither I can open up my AMD Radeon Control Panel to change it since it says that it requires the video driver to be enabled to work, here are a couple of methods that I was hoping it could be possible.

If there is a CMD command that allows me to change the refresh rate, or a program that changes any values on the monitor/resolution which could allow me to change it back to 60hz like it was, or a way for me to use the computer with the video driver enabled without the screen being black entirely, yes I tried unninstalling my video driver completely and installing a new one, but no luck, the refresh rate is still the same and I coudn't find a fix, right now I'm typing on Normal Mode with it disabled so I can use the computer, but I can't do anything related to the video editing work I do.

I have no idea what to do and I really need to fix this, I use my computer to work.

Filipe1020

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
      Re: PROBLEM - Wrong Refresh Rate
      « Reply #1 on: July 25, 2016, 08:42:04 AM »
      Can someone please post something here? I really can't spend too much time with the computer like this..

By the way here is a working link as example
      http://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/what-to-do-with-a-blank-screen-after-changing-your-computers-display-settings/
      « Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 09:05:04 AM by Filipe1020 »