Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows 10on aUSB Stick. My personal review.  (Read 8899 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Windows 10on aUSB Stick. My personal review.
« on: August 02, 2016, 09:18:30 PM »
For the experiment used a $10 32 GB SanDisk from Walmart.    :)

Windows 10 has been out for a year now and there are many things I get to learn about. One new trick was the ability to put Windows 10 on the USB stick and transported from one computer to another. In other words, a portable Windows operating system. And then I find out this feature was already in Windows 7 as well as Windows 8 and 8.1 and not just in Windows 10. However, there is a catch. Only certain versions of Windows 10  will do the portable USB trick.

Some investigation found there are third-party applications that will let you do the Windows on a stick thing with almost all versions of Windows 10 or Windows 8.
What I did not correctly understand was his need to have the Windows operating system already running on a computer before you make the USB stick with Windows on the USB. Even after reading over the articles I still didn't get it and I did it wrong.

At one point I couldn't get it to boot because I had another USB device plugged into my computer and it interfered with the boot up. And then I tried it on my old computer using Windows 7 and it took the longest time to build the USB stick. And can you guess what happened? What file it did boot up it booted up in the Windows 7 and not Windows 10. That's pretty messed up  because I was using a Windows 10 install ISO. So, at that point I a realized I had to pay more attention to the documentation.

So finally I did it the way you're supposed to with a third-party program. The program I used was a rather large program that does a lot of other things besides making Windows on a stick. It took me a while to figure out where the option was they needed.

Anyway, I finally got it right and it does work. But it sure surprised me. The first time you boot up from the USB drive it goes to the installation process just like your or installing Windows on the hard drive. It even asked for the product key, which I did not have. As you know, you can go ahead and use Windows 10 without the product key with some restrictions. I just wanted to see if would work, so I went ahead and finish the installation without the using a product key.

After that experience I can say that it does work, but I was wrong about saying that you could do it straight from an old computer without an operating system. That part is not true.

You have to first install Windows 10 on some type of internal storage device before you can make it run on the USB stick. And you also have to have the installation ISO available as a file during the process of building the Windows on a stick thing. Took me a while to realize that that's what they meant.

Anyway, it doesn't work. But that me tell you that you don't want a slow USB flash drive. It takes forever to install on a slow USB drive. Maybe that is why Microsoft recommends that you use USB drives that have been certified by Microsoft. I didn't, and it was very, very slow to install.

But once installed, it does put up within a reasonable amount of time and now I have a USB stick that I can take over to a troubled computer and boot up Windows 10 off of the USB stick. So it will make a great repair tool for future use.

So there is my limited experience with putting Windows 10 on a USB stick. Again, I had to use a third-party software to get it to work for me. Doing It the Way, Microsoft recommends is just too difficult for me. I have a hard time with too much detail.  :P

DaveLembke

Sage
Re: Windows 10on aUSB Stick. My personal review.
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 12:39:47 PM »
It even asked for the product key, which I did not have. As you know, you can go ahead and use Windows 10 without the product key with some restrictions. I just wanted to see if would work, so I went ahead and finish the installation without the using a product key.

Interesting... I never tried installing Windows without a product key before. I didnt know that it could be done. On the screen that asks for the product key, I have never seen a skip or activate later option. So when testing out software for example without wanting to ruin a regular system, I would reinstall and use a product key for that install for that system and not activate it for 30 days as the evaluation period and then that gave me adequate time to see if a software app was good or bad or if there were trojans or other surprises bundled with an installer without infecting or making a mess out of my actual system that I use daily.

Prior to this with XP, I use to just ghost image and reimage a system to etch-a-sketch it back clean for the next software to try with a activated version of XP Pro. For Windows 7, skipping Vista because I didnt like Vista, I have gone the installation process method and just not activated it to test and then wipe it clean. Then I started using Macrium Reflect to clone a master activated windows 7 drive to another and the master drive is placed into storage in an ESD bag and when its time to wipe the test system clean again I just clone overtop of the 2nd drive using the master and then remove the master drive and use the test drive for testing.

Software that I then trust gets added to a external drive that i have and I add a text file with notation as to if I need to deselect bundled software etc for the install. The installers and the installations are also scanned for malware too and Malwarebytes picks up on which ones have bundled surprises.

* I wish there was an ability to open an installation file and strip the bundleware and create a clean installer at times. Havent found one yet but some software I have I know has low level spyware etc and I know after installation i need to just do a clean up. Sometimes you can avoid bundled junk by making sure to get it from the creator of the software, but sometimes the creator adds stuff to the installation because that is how they make the software free, but your data collected by spyware to those who pay the company that is offering the so-called FREE software.

Getting back to topic of your win 10 on a stick, are you running it in a BartPE or Windows PE environment or is it say a Live Linux Distro with a VMware that launches a Windows 10 VM running on the USB stick? *That is sort of the only way I have seen Windows run as Windows vs a PE environment on a USB stick without illegal hackery.

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 02:10:02 PM »
I did try a third-party program that lets you use a PE. But I eventually used a program that seems to have some other kind of approach. Or else it did not explain what is was doing.
Of general interest:
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/10-tools-make-bootable-usb-iso-file/

And there are even more. Some partition managers now include a wizard for making Windows On A Stick.

Yes, one  cam ignore e the product key and go ahead and install Windows 10 for most versions. It will disable some advanced features.

I think you have to have the version installed on a hard drive before you can make the portable USB stick. And you have to have on hand the ISO file for the smae install. Version I used was downloaded a few weeks ago and is not the same as the one I got last year. I did a clean install of the recent version.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 02:28:01 PM »
Isn't this against the Windows EULA? Just asking.

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2016, 03:26:11 PM »
Salmon Trout,
That is a valid question. My feeling, and only a feeling,  is that Microsoft will not push to strongly enforce their legal rights until they know it is in their best interest.

Outright code stealing and bad representation, of course, will be prosecuted.  But home users who just want to experiment with older computers might not be targeted. Unless they do something blatant.

I was wrong about how it must be installed. You must already have a PC with Windows 10 on it and activated. But how the portable device is legal is not clear to me. I haven't been able to prove that it truly is portable.

Here is another link of interest on this topic:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2152040/aomei-partition-assistant-review-windows-to-go-no-longer-just-for-enterprise-users.html
Now to that fascinating Windows to Go feature. In theory you can choose a USB flash or other external drive as destination, an Windows 8.1 WIM (Windows Install Media)/ISO file as the source, and create a live version of Windows 8.x on said external drive that will boot from any PC. In practice, my first try resulted in a program-halting error. I emailed Aomei, and they had a fixed version for download in place the next day. It worked perfectly, creating a bootable version of Window 8.1 Pro. Quick work that. Kudos.
That is the version that works best for me. Your mileage may vary.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2016, 03:31:28 PM »
Isn't this against the Windows EULA? Just asking.

In fact...Yes it is...Geek should know better

Topic Closed.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "